My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:28 AM
code.monkey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Gassed up!

Brought car to joey today, pulled wheels off, flattened oil line a hair, did a little bit of clearancing on from liners... All looks good.

Damn it, I need a 964 back in my life again, and this is not helping (or it is, depending on which way you look at it). Such an awesome build, I'll live vicariously through reading this thread for now!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Rephlex
+964

Imagine that with a big wing, and please talk yourself out of it! . Looks spot on.
Might as well drive for a while. I have to agree and I'm a wing fan myself.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ red never looked so good before.
I hated red until I got my 89. Its just such a classic air cooled color, I like it. Thanks for letting me 'borrow' it lol.

Originally Posted by Rephlex
+964

Imagine that with a big wing, and please talk yourself out of it! . Looks spot on.
Wing is ordered Good thing is it's an easy swap. I do want it for function, it's going to be interesting at the track tomorrow with basically no aero, not sure what I can take a couple turns at given what I'm used to driving there....

Originally Posted by Samuel_Nunn
Damn it, I need a 964 back in my life again, and this is not helping (or it is, depending on which way you look at it). Such an awesome build, I'll live vicariously through reading this thread for now!
Thx!

Originally Posted by cobalt
Might as well drive for a while. I have to agree and I'm a wing fan myself.
Yeah I'll be driving it another 6 weeks or so before it goes into the shop again.

On another note, I've ordered new rear lenses and gaskets... I'll be posting these for sale with close up pics soon. The right is really good, left has some hazing and surface 'stress' marks, the center is solid except the right mounting washer point is cracked. color on all of them isn't bad, not too pink.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:40 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

great thread , with Yours and Robs in UK the Reds are looking fantastic,
I would love to see the narrow RSR wing on your car , I have been looking to it too, on Getty web site ,
Old 02-21-2016, 05:46 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

On another note, I've ordered new rear lenses and gaskets... I'll be posting these for sale with close up pics soon. The right is really good, left has some hazing and surface 'stress' marks, the center is solid except the right mounting washer point is cracked. color on all of them isn't bad, not too pink.
Where did you buy new lenses? Price? Tnx!

Mike
Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

one of my favorite build threads ever. inspirational, and simply outstanding.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Where did you buy new lenses? Price? Tnx!

Mike
suncoast
price: a lot
Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
suncoast
price: a lot
Actually sunset was a bit cheaper. And ya. A lot!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

SUNDAY FUNDAY!!!! Speed district had a one day event at buttonwillow today running the 13cw config. This is a track I'm much more familiar with and have a lot of laps there in my RS. Had I been running that car I would have been in the pointy end of the quick guys... The 964 is a bit more modest. However there was another, much faster driver (Danny, owns minicorsa a bmw/mini shop in la) than me driving an almost identical car on stock brakes and mostly stock chassis turning times 5 secs faster. See what a driver does? I need to get him to ride shotgun and share some tips. He was wheeling the hell out of that car and beating up on a LOT of new hardware.

Day started late due to fog, but maybe that was good because we got to relax a bit and at the end of the day it's 1 hour of open track and I turned my fastest times. Usually I'm beat by then. I think I was on track for 2 hours :-)

Getting used to the car slowly, you can slide it around pretty well, seems to like to slide more than my GT3. Brakes are insane, but I'm so used to race pads these aren't really doing it for me on track. You need to get into the pedal more than I like with them the grab is "further down" vs. immediate. They are fine though, not putting squeaky school but pads on the car, and they do not fade at all. The dampers excellent, they jump the curbing here with total confidence, we did go 1 click stiffer all around compression/rebound, and may go another stiffer. If I was using the car for 80% track/20 street I'd go stiffer springs and race pads.

Other issues:
At lower fuel, just before light goes on, was getting some surging, understand no baffle or surge tank? Need to just not run lower than maybe 1/4 tank. Was fine until the light ALMOST went on.
Blew an axle boot (noticed when putting car away, def happened the last couple days, grease everywhere). UGH. We just had the axles off and inspected them and the CVs are good, boots were fine. Will buy the parts and take to the local Axle guy I use to repack them and put new boots on. This is an easy job to remove, I'll pay the $100 to have the boots replaced and axles cleaned/inspected
ABS MAY not be functional, I need to debug this. I was getting some lockup - good news is it's front, not rear so bias feels fine with my brake setup

See corded tire? Not mine. Best line of the day "tire is fine there are only 4 left hand turns" I think he got faster once he corded that tire.

Anyway, good times! The car is so much fun.

A few pics, a video, me getting excited hitting my best time of day.... a comparison to my last time there in the GT3. (which is quick, but not fast... )

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-22-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you swap out the 993 ABS gears back to the 964 gears when you did the front suspension conversion?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
Did you swap our the 993 ABS gears back to the 964 gears when you did the front suspension conversion?
Yes, I have the 964 abs rings.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:07 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

What a great day at the track yesterday! Just a great bunch of guys, flogging our cars at an excellent track in So Cal. All the 964's were simply amazing on track. I've only been here once before, it was in my old, open diff 91 C2 and man was that exercise. Danny was running his car with an open diff and schooling us all, other than the GT4's, on great aggressive driving skills. Incredible! Spyerx, your lines out there were spot on (video really shows that), really clean and aggressive.

I took my 04 GT3 out and spent most of the day getting used to the speed this car carries. Simply breathtaking. It took me most of the day, but finally managed a sequence of 6 laps, last of the day that were consistent and managed a 2:02 and change, which I'm happy with. Loads more to learn, as I'm sure this car has another 8-10 seconds in it....just not sure the driver does...LOL

There were a couple of GT4's in our group as well. They were doing incredibly well. Very, very cool cars!!! The corded tire line was hilarious.

Gratuitous pic of the 04 on the esses....
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

Was pissed I couldn't make yesterday.

I'm glad you guys gave Danny a shoutout. One of my very good friends, a great tech and driver.

I've been driving with Danny for 6 years or so. It's funny cause usually on this Porsche forum everyone talks **** unless you're driving a POC/PCA event, have a full suit on and doing everything by the book. So, much respect!. Glad you guys are enjoying the cars and SPEED DISTRICT events which are always the best around.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Sounds like a fun day. Still looking for some better weather around here.

I would caution you on low fuel. I have seen many a 964/993 motor blown from running lean on track. There are no baffles in these tanks and hard cornering will leave you sucking air and can lead to a melt down. Not a pretty sight. I usually see about 5 gallons used per 30min run session. So I keep a few 5 gallon cans of fuel by me so I can top off and keep the level above 50% before venturing out. The cars get a bit light up front when the tank is low.

Definitely not a track for slower cars. That would be fun in my new car were I could open it up.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:51 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would caution you on low fuel. I have seen many a 964/993 motor blown from running lean on track. There are no baffles in these tanks and hard cornering will leave you sucking air and can lead to a melt down. Not a pretty sight. I usually see about 5 gallons used per 30min run session. So I keep a few 5 gallon cans of fuel by me so I can top off and keep the level above 50% before venturing out. The cars get a bit light up front when the tank is low.
Thanks, luckily it only sputtered a couple times before I pulled it in. Will keep in 1/2 full now. I didn't realize these didn't have baffles.

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I'm glad you guys gave Danny a shoutout. One of my very good friends, a great tech and driver.

I've been driving with Danny for 6 years or so. It's funny cause usually on this Porsche forum everyone talks **** unless you're driving a POC/PCA event, have a full suit on and doing everything by the book. So, much respect!. Glad you guys are enjoying the cars and SPEED DISTRICT events which are always the best around.
It was nice meeting Danny, cool guy and VERY fast. Drove the wheels off that car.

Honestly SD was pretty good, i signed up super late and he got me a slot in beginner but that was scary as fk. i'd say for intermediate to advanced SD is really good, for most part aware drivers and didn't see too much crazy stuff. Less offs than my last PCA weekend. But the beginner group was scary for me, non driver awareness and no instructors in cars for most part. I got out after a session LOL. But Josh runs a good show, first time and i'll do more days with them for sure, massive amount of track time too. But i like PCA, good structure and learning environment. SD is a more open type setup. Both have their benefits.

Originally Posted by christallon
What a great day at the track yesterday! Just a great bunch of guys, flogging our cars at an excellent track in So Cal.
Nice meeting you out there, will do another event soon!

Here are a few more pics from the day (speed district gets full photos included with the entry fee)

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread