Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just lovely. Once you get your diff set up, you will be able to take more brake after turn in which will enable you to brake later and still make the apex. There is a lot of time to be had there compared to the GT3 but you will need to re calibrate your brain because it will tell you that it isn't possible.

When you first try, I'd make sure that you pick a corner/turn where there is quite a bit of run off. Believe me, with the right set up it will work.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

The diff actually felt good, no tail wag under heavy braking and good accel on exit. But I need to push the car on a track I trust, This track runoff is ****. And I was driving about about 7/10 my ability because of it. Possibly will hit the track next weekend for a day. One I know much better and am much faster at. And yea, I was braking early and not carrying nearly as much corners speed as I could have. I look forward to really pushing it.

For those familiar with the PCA San diego group, this car would classify as CC09. The club record on the config I was running is ~1:25 (a very fast local driver). I did a 1:35 :-) So yeah, there is time.

Originally Posted by Rancie
Just lovely. Once you get your diff set up, you will be able to take more brake after turn in which will enable you to brake later and still make the apex. There is a lot of time to be had there compared to the GT3 but you will need to re calibrate your brain because it will tell you that it isn't possible.

When you first try, I'd make sure that you pick a corner/turn where there is quite a bit of run off. Believe me, with the right set up it will work.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Thru the windshield brakes huh? Do you have a speed comparison chart you can post instead of the turn by turn. Would be curious to see how much difference there was in time.

These old cars can be a lot of fun. Imagine it several hundred pounds lighter and a few hundred more horses with a wider track.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM
greaser5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Thru the windshield brakes huh? Do you have a speed comparison chart you can post instead of the turn by turn. Would be curious to see how much difference there was in time.

These old cars can be a lot of fun. Imagine it several hundred pounds lighter and a few hundred more horses with a wider track.
I've often thought that the ultimate car would be a natural aspirated 964 with 400 hp - no more, no less...
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greaser5
I've often thought that the ultimate car would be a natural aspirated 964 with 400 hp - no more, no less...
Not so far removed from my friend Matteo's car. Still doing the lottery but my numbers haven't come up (its not a 964 but that's a mere detail, it ticks every other box!)

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/mex...on-sale-at-jzm

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...e-for-sale-809
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with stock engine and just a remap a 964 with a decent set up, a litlle weight taken out can be a fairly quick car and a delight to drive. The later 996 and 997 platforms are more brutal animals and much less forgiving. On saying that, for me everything depends on the diff set up. If the slip is not controlled adiquately and you are obliged to take most of the speed off in a straight line and coast in to apex on a trail throttle they are a very frustrating car to drive.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:54 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The car looks and sounds amazing! Streets is a very technical, tight track, but the 964's and long hoods do well there. I ran my 73 E/RS in KA there with the POC and learned a ton about car dynamics. I was shocked at what the car was capable of when I finally learned to let go. John Williamsom (RIP) taught me so much about trusting the car and showed me how to chase the aggressive line, a lot of early apexing, surprisingly. He would ride shotgun and would plant his foot over mine on the loud pedal way past my comfort zone which taught me to trust the braking capabilities. It was incredible what a transformative moment that was for me. These cars are simply awesome when set-up properly. I dig your car C!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt

Freer exhaust, chip, and weight. That should liven it up a bit. I am not sure I really want much more power in it... for now :-)

Originally Posted by christallon
The car looks and sounds amazing! Streets is a very technical, tight track, but the 964's and long hoods do well there. I ran my 73 E/RS in KA there with the POC and learned a ton about car dynamics. I was shocked at what the car was capable of when I finally learned to let go. John Williamsom (RIP) taught me so much about trusting the car and showed me how to chase the aggressive line, a lot of early apexing, surprisingly. He would ride shotgun and would plant his foot over mine on the loud pedal way past my comfort zone which taught me to trust the braking capabilities. It was incredible what a transformative moment that was for me. These cars are simply awesome when set-up properly. I dig your car C!
You should have seen the runoff. I haven't been here in 2 years, there are canyons and craters 2" off track. Armco is almost as intimidating. The heavy rains have done a number on the track surroundings...

I have no doubt I could wheel this into the higher 1:20s with a few more laps, and a little more comfort with the environment.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:24 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Oh wow! Have not been there for a couple of years. It def needs to be re graded by the sounds of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Here are some comments with time differential. RS was 3.5 seconds faster, almost ALL of it on the straights.

Keep in mind: the times in the RS were a while ago and I'm a faster driver now, I'm going to guess in that car really pushing it I'd be low-mid 1:20s now. I'm obviously a lot more comfortable in that car with dozens and dozens of track days in it.

But, it's interesting for comparison purposes. When I can get the 964 out to Chuckwalla or Buttonwillow I'll have a much better recent comparison.

My GT3RS dyno RWHP at 408 at 3050 lbs (w/o driver)
My 964 is probably in the what 225-250 RWHP at 2900 lbs (w/o driver)??

SLIGHT difference in acceleration!

Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Did a couple minor things over the weekend... thanks to Cobalt, I now have some Amber front lenses on the car. I like the look much better. One thing was odd, the clear I have, not sure the brand, the side lens didn't have a hole for the side marker bulb. Also, all the bulb lists show a normal twist in bulb for the side front lens but mine used a 194 type press in bulb... Whatever.

Also found some LED festoon bulbs that aren't that nasty blue/white color for the INTERIOR (I'll keep all the other bulbs as standard). They're "warm" and side by side look identical to the filament bulbs to my eyes in light, but being brighter and pulling maybe 1w vs. 10w. Given I have this tiny lithium battery I figured replacing the trunk, engine, and 2 inside lights with these low draw LED bulbs might be a good idea. Cool thing is other than being a bit brighter, they look the same and have that warm filament glow.

Oh on Monday I had BBI hook up their AC machine (Car is 134a) since it was boiling hot out here... pulled vacuum and recharged to spec which according to the docs is 840g. After full cool and driving around with about 85 ambient center vent temp was 47 while moving. Going to replace the receiver/drier when I have the engine out, I'm sure it's original. But AC works fine, and that temp "looks" in spec according to the porsche charts I've seen. Would like it a bit cooler but it's fine.

Car will go into Joey friday for a tire/chassis check and any final tweaks to setup, then I'm just ordering a few final parts for the next part of the build. It will go in for that in about a month and probably take 6 weeks to wrap it up. Met with BBI on Monday to discuss and I think we have the final plan sorted. Oh, and I need to strip the interior. I need to mentally get to that state. Have all the "tools" needed I think (plastic scrapers, plastic razor blades, acetone, adhesive remover.... gloves, mask... ). Maybe this weekend I get adventurous.

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-18-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Remember with LED bulbs you want to match the bulb color to the lens color for maximum light output.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
Remember with LED bulbs you want to match the bulb color to the lens color for maximum light output.
That's right... I should have clarified the only bulbs i've changed are the interior/trunk/frunk bulbs. No others, will keep those standard.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Oh, and I need to strip the interior. I need to mentally get to that state. Have all the "tools" needed I think (plastic scrapers, plastic razor blades, acetone, adhesive remover.... gloves, mask... ). Maybe this weekend I get adventurous.
I am just doing this (or rather I have enlisted the help of a twelve year old who hopes to inherit the car)

I don't need to do a great job, as I will be glueing new carpet straight on top but I do have to clean and treat some areas of surface rust.

It is a painfully laborious task.

If I wanted to do it properly I would sub it out to a dry ice blasting service, they would have it cleaned up in no time.

https://www.kaercher.com/uk/professi...-cleaning.html
Old 02-18-2016, 03:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Is he for hire? I'm sure he'd like to hang out in LA for a few days :-)

Today ordered what I hope is the last of the parts I need outside a few minor bits. Have a big pile ready to go when car goes to shop. Ordered a secondary oil cooler, new rear lens/lights and gaskets, new light bulbs all around, new belts for the rothsport pulley kit I'm installing, a few misc parts, and a wing. Going to give the narrow rsr Getty wing a go. Maybe I keep it maybe I keep it wingless. Not sure until I try it.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread