Sponsored by:

964 RSR Inspired Replica

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mark my words
Window crank conversion will cost about 900€ - i think thats is not worth the saved weight?!?!...
I totally agree with you cost wise. But given your interior and the theme of this car, I would still consider manual windows. Beyond the cool looks and minor weight savings, the main benefit is no wires going into the door, creating a cleaner door hinge area.

I have center console envy. Love seeing the body color inside the car.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoying this thread very much. I've gone down the manual window root - will be installed shortly.

Agree the cost reward factor is out of whack, but my car will never be 'fully' stripped so I have to find little areas to save weight from.

In your case you've done great work in stripping weight so perhaps this little weight loss is negligible.

Anyway keep us posted, pleasure reading through your journey.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,207 Posts

...all new oil lines!

Nice! A lot of fun getting those oil lines correct. I have the motors if you want me to weigh them. It is very little savings as others said.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the expensive part of going to manual windows?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

The power windows is also a nice feature when you have to show your ticket-card at the Nordschleife entry!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

In that case it's cooler to slide open your Perspex window port to hand them the ticket.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM
mark my words
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As "kgorman" post said - the only thing i could imagine is a makrolon window. Either to slide (as in the image) or to lift with a strap (my favorite)...

I very much like to have the clean "no wires" look but for that i would have to delete the power locking as well...
Has anyone done that? Is it just to get rid of every wire and supporting hardware, or is the manual locking system completely different?
Would the Alarmsystem still work - i don't think so?!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
In that case it's cooler to slide open your Perspex window port to hand them the ticket.

Good luck to reach the ticket machine strapped up through that window slot! :-)

Thomas
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,207 Posts

As "kgorman" post said - the only thing i could imagine is a makrolon window. Either to slide (as in the image) or to lift with a strap (my favorite)...

I very much like to have the clean "no wires" look but for that i would have to delete the power locking as well...
Has anyone done that? Is it just to get rid of every wire and supporting hardware, or is the manual locking system completely different?
Would the Alarmsystem still work - i don't think so?!

One concern is MY. From what I have found the 1989 and 1990 possibly some later cars had a different latching mechanism. It initially had only a single tang or bar that allows you to unlock the car but not lock it. The later cars had a revised latch that allowed both.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Indeed. My 90 does this. I was going to look into modding the mech so that the car can be locked without power. This will be helpful as I frequently leave the car in the garage with the kill switch pulled. Would be nice to be able to lock it.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM
mark my words
Instructor

Like always - no easy solution at all!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 AM
mark my words
Instructor

Stance!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
^^ Indeed. My 90 does this. I was going to look into modding the mech so that the car can be locked without power. This will be helpful as I frequently leave the car in the garage with the kill switch pulled. Would be nice to be able to lock it.
There might be a difference between driver's and passenger side locks too? Have you tried locking the driver's door from the inside, hop over the shifter console, exit on the passenger side and lock it from the outside with the key? If that doesn't work try to reverse it (this works on newer LHD).
Old 03-01-2015, 05:07 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman

Is there any kind of locking mechanism on this one?
I would like to install this but my car is dual purpose and i don't want to find anyone in my car...
Old 07-08-2015, 02:14 PM
mark my words
Instructor

Well, i had good fun so far using my "Silver Surfer" this Summer!

But one one thing is still annoying me - its the slight movement within the whole car when i change direction very fast.
As you might see in my earlier post - i changed pretty much everything in my Suspension to all new parts. But i'm still using the stock chamber plates...

My idea is that some chamber plates without the nasty OEM rubber should help a lot - correct me if i'm wrong!

So here's the deal - i don't wanna change for some all new coilovers - so i need chamber plates that will fit my Setup (Bilstein B6)

The cheapest way would be, to use the K&W chamber plates! Has anyone tried these with the stock Porsche Dampers, or even better with the Bilstein B6 - will they fit?

Any suggestions regarding this topic are welcome!

Quick Reply: 964 RSR Inspired Replica