Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Not unloved...I think it likely is priced too high and isn't as nice as it claims to be.

I'd buy any 964 if it was cheep enough. I love them all. I just don't have money for over priced frauds...cuz every over priced fraud will eventually sell for market value.
Overpriced Fraud?? A couple people have already told me that Id be lucky to get a high mileage beater for $40 grand. So which is it??

What is market value for a 39k mile car assuming it was accurate mileage in your opinion?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple people have already told me that Id be lucky to get a high mileage beater for $40 grand. So which is it??

What is market value for a 39k mile car assuming it was accurate mileage in your opinion?
Like it or not, high mileage beaters are heading towards the 40s, I wouldn't wait too long. As for the red car, I wouldn't pay 40, but it may be hard to resist if it were on my doorstep in the 30s.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jfl503
I wouldn't pay 40, but it may be hard to resist if it were on my doorstep in the 30s.
Why wouldn't you pay 40? It looks as nice as any I have seen and the engine compartment looks nice and clean. Im not saying it is worth 40, Im just curious.

I had a 964 turbo a while back but never plugged it into a diagnostic computer. Does the ECU show hours on the engine? Can the mileage easily be tampered with?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the speedo and presto you have a low mileage 964. My comment on what I'd pay wasn't wasn't so much based the on car's condition. I have a 964 and wouldn't pay 40 for a second. The red car does look clean and I'd inquire if it seems to fit the bill.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:59 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
If its a mint one with full history to back up the miles and original everything including paint then over $60k maybe over $70 at reputable dealer or post 92 cars. My offer of 60k was refused on a 90 model with 38k last December by a dealer and prices have hiked by some since.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buyers Beware!

I spent the day yesterday flying from Denver to Houston to buy a 1992 964 Coupe at the local Porsche Dealer with 91K miles. I had been waiting for clear pictures and a mechanical inspection report for 3 weeks and finally decided to fly down and see the car. They promised "I would love the car and wouldn't be disappointed". Well, I was very disappointed. I knew within 1 minute the car was not well cared for and it showed. The car still had the engine tray installed and as most of us should know this is detrimental to the life of the motor. Prior to my visit I requested a leak-down and they quoted me $960????? Really, for a 964 NA.

The car could be made nice, however, for their asking price of $32,964 you would be upside down and big IMO. The records showed two occasions where the car was 2 and 4 quarts plus low on oil and none of the records are from a Porsche dealer. There were many other red flags on the body and underside. I am only writing this because I don't want someone getting stuck with a car that needs potentially $15K worth of work.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
The car still had the engine tray installed and as most of us should know this is detrimental to the life of the motor.
Is this really the case? The engine tray make increase temps a bit but I wouldn't think it would be detrimental to the longevity of the engine.....or is it???
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Is this really the case? The engine tray make increase temps a bit but I wouldn't think it would be detrimental to the longevity of the engine.....or is it???
Couldn't tell if the original post was a joke or not. If so, that definitely is the punchline. I hope...
Old 07-30-2015, 02:39 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Buyers Beware!

I spent the day yesterday flying from Denver to Houston to buy a 1992 964 Coupe at the local Porsche Dealer with 91K miles. I had been waiting for clear pictures and a mechanical inspection report for 3 weeks and finally decided to fly down and see the car. They promised "I would love the car and wouldn't be disappointed". Well, I was very disappointed. I knew within 1 minute the car was not well cared for and it showed. The car still had the engine tray installed and as most of us should know this is detrimental to the life of the motor. Prior to my visit I requested a leak-down and they quoted me $960????? Really, for a 964 NA.

The car could be made nice, however, for their asking price of $32,964 you would be upside down and big IMO. The records showed two occasions where the car was 2 and 4 quarts plus low on oil and none of the records are from a Porsche dealer. There were many other red flags on the body and underside. I am only writing this because I don't want someone getting stuck with a car that needs potentially $15K worth of work.
Oh man this sucks...I'm in the Houston area which dealership was this? I want to assume Victory b/c that place has been getting bad reviews.

Overpriced Fraud?? A couple people have already told me that Id be lucky to get a high mileage beater for $40 grand. So which is it??

I've often asked myself this question. I'm still looking for the "right" one to pop up but can't see myself paying $40k when a 997 is right in the same price range. I wish this bubble would burst so prices can back to "normal" haha
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Buyers Beware!

Gotta be honest here. don't hold your breath on searching these cars. what you described sounds more like the reality to me. fact is, they all need bunch works done & they are not cheap. there's always a balance in everything. right now the market on those cars are just way out of balance. thread like this is making it even worse. people are trying to take advantage of the market and frankly, when there's money involved, it gets dirty quick - takes the fun out of it.

now let's talk about some facts. if a clean 964 listed today for $32,964 it will not last more than 3 days until it finds a new home. if the ad hits this thread it would probably be gone within 3 hours. now if u're saying it takes them 3 weeks to get an inspection report sent to you then the story should be pretty simple then. you did the right thing by going down there to see it. glad you did! i'd think it's still fair to say if someone spend 15k on it to get it back to its glory somehow then it's still worth it. it is not right to think one can get a 964 within 35k & not to spend any money on it to make it right. again, they aren't cheap like the old days.

sorry it didn't workout out for you. keep hunting!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:51 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
I'm still looking for the "right" one to pop up but can't see myself paying $40k when a 997 is right in the same price range. I wish this bubble would burst so prices can back to "normal" haha
If you can't see yourself spending $40k, you might as well stop looking. Unless you are looking for a high-mileage project car, good examples are not going to be had for less. Ever. 964s are not represented under this so-called bubble. Simply been undervalued for a long time. $400k+ 911S aren't sustainable. $40-60k 964s are.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
If you can't see yourself spending $40k, you might as well stop looking. Unless you are looking for a high-mileage project car, good examples are not going to be had for less. Ever. 964s are not represented under this so-called bubble. Simply been undervalued for a long time. $400k+ 911S aren't sustainable. $40-60k 964s are.
Yeah the high-mileage project is what I'd be looking for. I wouldn't want to buy someones garage queen. Especially if my plans were to be a weekend/track/autocross car. Maybe I should look into a salvaged title if those exist. To be honest I wish they were still undervalued HA!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM
feirfiez
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all.
I too was looking at this car at a certain porsche dealership. They are now asking $39,964 for the C2 if I am not mistaken. I just don't see these cars coming down in price unfortunately or below 40k for that matter for a decent example. Won't stop me from looking for a good C2/C4 example as I think they are the best model Porsche has ever built minus the 964rs that is.

Buyers Beware!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:43 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Yeah the high-mileage project is what I'd be looking for. I wouldn't want to buy someones garage queen. Especially if my plans were to be a weekend/track/autocross car. Maybe I should look into a salvaged title if those exist. To be honest I wish they were still undervalued HA!
I hear what you are saying. However, a salvage title car is going to be problematic by nature. You are going to have to put a good amount of $$$ and time into it. At the end of the day, should you choose to sell, the salvage title is going to hold its value back substantially. Then you are looking at a financial loss after all of that hard work. I would buy the best car you can, then tweak to your liking. You can go pretty far with these cars without making your changes irreversible. It may cost you more up-front, but will save you money long-term. Maybe even make you some...
Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Hot damn. If someone wants to give me 40K for mine, I'll take it. Will even throw in all the cool parts I was planning on putting on it.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale