Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG
Old 12-20-2019, 08:19 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i know this is capitalism at its best (or worst), but the way this artificially inflates certain model markets is ****ing irritating. it simply takes cars off the market, stashing them for a period of time, waiting for the market to catch up to the dealer's speculation. in the meantime, no one enjoys the car. not to mention, it reduces the number of realistically priced cars on the market, allowing for an increase in those prices as well. if you're an owner, this works. if you're trying to buy into a model, it all works against you.

My Goodness! I have one of those 267 wide body C4 and I paid under 80K for a 100,000 mile example a year ago. Anyone want to buy mine for 160K ?
Joking of course. The prices will come down I am certain. I am currently splicing generations of DNA hopefully into something awesome. @drives2smiles
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Jay911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i absolutely want to bring a 964 back into the fold, but i simply won't do it at these prices. i'm hoping the market adjusts this coming year a bit and maybe then i'll jump. if not, there are plenty of other options on the garage bucket list.

What would a fair price be for an orginal c2, mt, no paint work, red, white, or black, 65,000 - 85,000 mile 964?
9SIX4-C4 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:32 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Smart.
I've seen some in the upper 50 range ... if they pass ppi I dont think you will do much better than that.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
I've seen some in the upper 50 range ... if they pass ppi I dont think you will do much better than that.
prob is it most likely won’t pass a PPI. If your referring to just compression numbers on the motor, maybe. But if it’s got original oil lines, brake lines, etc etc etc...those two I mentioned alone on my car I just replaced because the oils lines were leaking and it cost me $5k. The brake lines Porsche recommended changing every 3 years. Mine were the originals. Point is, there are TONS of little stuff on these cars that age out. So while the motor may get a passing grade, all the other little stuff adds up to tens of thousands of dollars. A 50k car can easily turn into an 80k car to make it at minimum, safe. Ask me how I know....
The following 2 users liked this post by Lorenzoh:
540964 (12-21-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
prob is it most likely won’t pass a PPI. If your referring to just compression numbers on the motor, maybe. But if it’s got original oil lines, brake lines, etc etc etc...those two I mentioned alone on my car I just replaced because the oils lines were leaking and it cost me $5k. The brake lines Porsche recommended changing every 3 years. Mine were the originals. Point is, there are TONS of little stuff on these cars that age out. So while the motor may get a passing grade, all the other little stuff adds up to tens of thousands of dollars. A 50k car can easily turn into an 80k car to make it at minimum, safe. Ask me how I know....
This gets right to the crux of the matter. From what I’m seeing there are plenty of 964’s coming up for sale and many are in great condition with lower miles but they rarely come with any records. The lack of records leaves lots of potential expenses waiting for the next owner. If you’re lucky you may need to spend several thousand, if not you could be into the car another $20k easily if you want it right. My Targa is a great example, while some of the major stuff was done before I bought it I have still spent a hefty sum to not only improve it but also maintain it. They’re old cars and they will have higher maintenance costs but I have to admit, they are worth it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
540964 (12-21-2019), 911Jetta (12-21-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:48 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Important to know yourself and what you’re after. If you can wrench some of the easier things yourself then you can save a lot of labor costs. If you can do everything - even better. I’ve been getting to know my Targa these last few months and it has been an absolute joy and blast. Everything from changing door straps to alternator fan and belts has been bonding time and learning more about these cars. If I had taken the car out to a mechanic for all that I’ve done to it I casually estimate my out of pocket costs would be slightly more than double what they are now.
911Jetta (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 06:43 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I leased a 2001 E55 AMG just before buying my 964. The Porsche needed a few things to make me happy but nothing right away and the E55 was $700 per month on the lease, a good price back then. During the course of the 3 year lease, the 964 got oil lines, new fan, major service, brakes (lines, rotors and pads), motor and trans mounts, tires, all fluids, mouse wheel, belts and a bunch of things I can't remember-oh, 993 doorhandles.

Point is, after 3 years the car needed nothing and had doubled in price to what I paid. I forget the dealer service costs were on the MBZ but $700x36=$25,200 and I had nothing to show for it, went in on the last day and tossed the keys on the dealer's countertop. I know I spent about half the $25,200 on the 964. Whether you get the money back on the upkeep when you sell, or just smiles along the way, the money bringing a car up to your standards is worth it, the trick is not to get a car with a fatal flaw(s). I am pretty sure any regular here would know what to look for, the dogs we see being bought for big money are usually not highly educated buyers.
The following 4 users liked this post by misterbeverlyhills:
540964 (12-21-2019), 911Jetta (12-21-2019), 9SIX4-C4 (12-21-2019), Marine Blue (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 03:44 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

an important thing to remember about leasing is the residual value of the cars you're interested in. some have horrible res. value and others are quite good. high end brands that tend to come off lease at lower figures are a big loss scenario - you take the brunt of the depreciation. i buy my wife a new volvo every couple of years and the lease scenario isn't that bad. you just have to be someone who wants something new every few years and lack a desire to do anything to the car, including maintenance. for me, it's all about the older cars/brands i'm interested in that show very good retention value.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay911
What would a fair price be for an orginal c2, mt, no paint work, red, white, or black, 65,000 - 85,000 mile 964?
a fair price or a price i'm willing to pay at the moment? they are two different values. a very clean C2, popular color and 75k miles probably brings $70-75k. the 964 hype is still strong imo and i'll wait for an adjustment, assuming one is coming. if not, i'll either pay what the market states or buy something else. i've been a fan of the 964 since they were the stepchild - when no one wanted or respected them. to see how they are regarded today is great, but it has increased values to the point that i still believe there is a slight bubble. i still remember turning down a local car, black/tan C2, 5spd, a little ragged around the edges, but decent, for $19k about 6 years ago!! still hard to stomach that decision. believe it or not, Singer bought that car and we lost another 964.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:55 PM
mowaffaq
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Likewise, always been a fan of 964's and was lucky enough to experience most iterations all the way down to the tiptronic. I still find a nice narrow body 964 to be the most pleasing to my eyes. A few years ago I bought a black on cashmere, tired but accident-free and mechanically sound Californian MT C2. I drove it every now and then but didn't really get to sit and decide on what to do with it.
A few months ago I spent a day driving it and took it everywhere.. It was such a sweet car and I really had a great time! The next morning I sent it to the shop for a full strip, sun roof delete and repaint in my favourite shade of green, that happens to be a Ferrari colour. The interior was sent for upholstery in rich dark green leather. Call me crazy but amidst this inflated hype and the madness we're seeing in the market, this car will turn into what I want to have not what people would pay for. I have a feeling that in a few years, emission/safety regulations might come between us and driving these cars.. so we better enjoy them while we can.
9SIX4-C4 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 05:15 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mowaffaq
...I have a feeling that in a few years, emission/safety regulations might come between us and driving these cars.. so we better enjoy them while we can.
I think you might be right but I hope it won't happen during my lifetime... I still got a good 20-30 driving years left...
Old 12-23-2019, 03:56 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mowaffaq
Likewise, always been a fan of 964's and was lucky enough to experience most iterations all the way down to the tiptronic. I still find a nice narrow body 964 to be the most pleasing to my eyes. A few years ago I bought a black on cashmere, tired but accident-free and mechanically sound Californian MT C2. I drove it every now and then but didn't really get to sit and decide on what to do with it.
A few months ago I spent a day driving it and took it everywhere.. It was such a sweet car and I really had a great time! The next morning I sent it to the shop for a full strip, sun roof delete and repaint in my favourite shade of green, that happens to be a Ferrari colour. The interior was sent for upholstery in rich dark green leather. Call me crazy but amidst this inflated hype and the madness we're seeing in the market, this car will turn into what I want to have not what people would pay for. I have a feeling that in a few years, emission/safety regulations might come between us and driving these cars.. so we better enjoy them while we can.
Safety regulations are usually built into future generations, because it becomes cost prohibitive to go back to earlier models to bring them up to current or future standards. SO I don't think we will have to fear anything from government regulation standpoint. The real threat will be what insurance companies are willing to insure based on current payout statistics for models. And that might make these older cars problematic. Currently only hagerty will insure my 964 - and its my own insurance company that referred me to them.

As for what you are doing to your car; I approve. I am doing the same to mine, splicing together DNA from so many of Dr. Porsche's models. I think the result will be fantastic. Every piece I change and modify has some personal meaning to me. I keep threatening to start a thread but for now its on instagram @drives2smiles

Cheers
911Jetta (12-27-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 07:01 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
This x100.

Unless you have proof that these things were done recently enough, plan for fuel lines, oil lines, brake lines, power steering lines, seals all over the place, spark plugs/wires/coils/dizzy caps, suspension components (?) and more. Doing all of the work on my car and having to address unknown deferred maintenance, I'm at about $8K so far in parts alone for deferred maintenance items (not including suspension work which I'm categorizing as performance upgrades). Further, there's a lot of parts (and expense) that are strictly age related and I don't know how well those are priced into the asking prices of the lower mileage offerings. I've seen a lot of under 100K mile cars offered without mentioning replacing those items.

If it were me, I'd look for one with a recent rebuild and most of the age related wear items replaced. The amount they spent on those items only fractionally increase the asking price.
911Jetta (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 12:03 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 102 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-12/

That felt like an amazing buy, although there seems to be questions on mileage and history of the car. Was the buyer from these forums? Congrats!

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale