Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM
wesayhowdyhere
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 RS America on BaT at no reserve

Silver 1994 RS America listed on BaT today.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-rs-america/
Old 04-24-2019, 01:26 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
not too far from me I'll try to visit this car this week and chat with the dealer see what's up
Let us know what you find out.

I know it looks beat on, but it could probably be had for a couple grand off the asking price. 964 turbos are hard to find and this one could be a good candidate for a restoration or hotrod build.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
An $85,000 C4 with almost 90,000 miles lol, not sure what this guy is thinking

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto...872362764.html
This guy is nuts.

But I someone should buy my C4 for 85...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

just because you were banned from commenting on BaT because of your overbearing nonsense comments doesn’t mean the platform is bad. Bat has actually raised the bar as to what buyers expect sellers to disclose and present when selling a car. Get over it.
pls explain exactly how BAT has done this; for example?? I know how their process works and there are still plenty of ways a seller can hide things leaving the buyer holding the bag while BAT takes zero responsibility. You seem to think they’ve reinvented the wheel when all they’ve done is build a better mousetrap.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by JesusFast
This guy is nuts.

But I someone should buy my C4 for 85...
Maybe he’s smarter than you think, ‘caus the wife is pushing him to sell to make more room at the Haus. So it looks like he’s trying, but no sale means keeping the car... have seen that tactic mentioned a couple times on Porsche forums.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
pls explain exactly how BAT has done this; for example??.
I don’t care to get involved in ANYONE’S argument...

What I do like about the BAT system:
  • Having access to cars I’d normally not see.
  • Tons of images
  • Video of the car now seems standard
  • Reading people’s comments
  • A sense of urgency (7 days shows people want to move the car and the bid price allows everyone to get a sense of its demand/value VS cars sitting at a dealership for a year with an inflated price)
  • After losing out on a 964, the ability to feel better and say f@@@ it, I’ll buy an old Jeep (or other interesting car) instead

Seeing a car first hand, driving it and talking to the owner is the only real way to feel comfortable buying one of these cars. Every other way involves luck, trust and a positive attitude.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I don’t care to get involved in ANYONE’S argument...

What I do like about the BAT system:
  • Having access to cars I’d normally not see.
  • Tons of images
  • Video of the car now seems standard
  • Reading people’s comments
  • A sense of urgency (7 days shows people want to move the car and the bid price allows everyone to get a sense of its demand/value VS cars sitting at a dealership for a year with an inflated price)
  • After losing out on a 964, the ability to feel better and say f@@@ it, I’ll buy an old Jeep (or other interesting car) instead

Seeing a car first hand, driving it and talking to the owner is the only real way to feel comfortable buying one of these cars. Every other way involves luck, trust and a positive attitude.
all of the reasons you posted above about what you like about BAT do nothing to protect the buyer.
Not trying to be adversarial, just pointing out hat your reasons do nothing to bring transparency to the auctions as 997pilot suggests.
But, your comments about seeing a car and the seller in person are spot on.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Those are just things I like about BAT, compared to regular private ads or viewing dealer inventory online. Your needs and desires seem different, totally understand that.

It’s not easy buying any 30 year old car, but I appreciated the resource BAT offered while looking. It was just another channel/mechanism to find a 964 (which are surprisingly hard to find). BAT almost diverted me into buying a 997, so I had to stay focused (those bastards).

My purchase experience was so far removed from the usual online/dealer experience it’s not even funny. I got BAT**** lucky and bought directly from a true enthusiast, who both took care of the car and wanted to see it go to another person who would also take car of the car. Definitely an old school process!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Maybe he’s smarter than you think, ‘caus the wife is pushing him to sell to make more room at the Haus. So it looks like he’s trying, but no sale means keeping the car... have seen that tactic mentioned a couple times on Porsche forums.

Hum....

interesting point.

I'll have to remember that.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:03 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Turbo 964

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
not too far from me I'll try to visit this car this week and chat with the dealer see what's up
About an hour away and went to check this car out; she started right up, idled good, no smoke, no funny noises. Unable to check underneath, body panels seems aligned well, factory dimples on weld sites are present on the engine bay, and front trunk looks good too. No major dings nor dents but it'll need a full exterior repaint, lots of body claddings are loose aside from the dash it will need a full interior. It's a used car dealership that sells mixed brands from regular daily driver to antique and high end euro. The salesman said it had 2 owners, clean carfax, and they only had it for a week and they got tons of calls from all over the country (probably mostly from Rennlisters, lol) and expecting to sell it soon. I'm not familiar with the market for 964 turbos but I saw some crazy prices lately so if it checks out mechanically and you are handy and have the space, money, and time, this could be a potential.
Personally, I won't pay no more than 70 large for it since I don't have the skills and time to do the rehab.

Last edited by 2swoosh; 04-25-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
pls explain exactly how BAT has done this; for example?? I know how their process works and there are still plenty of ways a seller can hide things leaving the buyer holding the bag while BAT takes zero responsibility. You seem to think they’ve reinvented the wheel when all they’ve done is build a better mousetrap.
Again its understandable you have a chip on your shoulder for getting banned from there. BAT has absolutely "raised the bar" on what is expected when presenting a car, and if you don't realize that then you were living on another planet, Rarely did we see cold starts and drive by videos and such a plethora of pics presented before, and the comments help expose many issues. So not sure how you could say its not a good platform, its not perfect its not full proof but its created new expectations when presenting a car.

You keep repeating yourself saying "they don't protect the customer" What exactly do you expect them to do? They are an intermediary between seller and buyer and require the seller to put in an extra effort, in the end no buyer can be fully 100% protected from a bad seller and vice versa unless you go check the car in person yourself.

Maybe you can write them an apology letter and they will unban you from commenting. ha!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

spoke to the seller, he really is just a bit clueless and greedy.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:25 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

LOL

Still when my wife asks me to sell my car... I'm putting it up for 100k...

"I have no idea why it isn't selling....."
Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

He's not being greedy, stupid maybe. Greed insinuates he's making money, he wont be selling the car at that price anytime soon. He's around $25k over the market.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1140213#post15800212

Been looking for WB 964 for while...couldn't swing both but wanted to partner up one for me and one for a friend...friend was too slow to answer phone...sold FAST.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale