Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't feel 100k miles is a lot on a 30 year old car. As long as it was maintained, that's what matters. 3300/year seems about the perfect amount of mileage to keep everything in good shape.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I am sure everyone has seen it but I figured I would give another 93 Amazon green C2 owner some help. Rare that these have gray vs tan interior. I don't know the car although the CupI's he has listed are not factory. I just picked up a set of these i will posting for sale they are nice quality but made in Japan. Assuming all checks out price seems quite reasonable considering some of the crap being sold lately.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1123159
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM
LAcarguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what this obsession with mileage is about; longhoods have been around the clock a few times and predate CarFax. One needs to check the chassis is solid, pretty much everything else is fixable; this goes for a 964 as well. The problem arises when turds are priced at garage queen levels.

I can't say I admire folks that bought a car in the early 90s and never drive it past 50k miles, what was the point again? Sure the seats look nice.
Higher mileage cars can be well broken in and much loved by their owners where garage queens sit and get little maintenance. I had a low mileage 911, it was not a happy car, we never bonded, it was just a grumpy drive, even left me curbside a few times with niggly cheap failures. I have had 150k mileage cars that begged to be hammered, never let me down and purred like a kitten.

Let's leave original paint alone too for now, another popular obsession. Here's a tip: if a 911 has over 50k miles and no rock chips, the hood has been painted.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LAcarguy
Not sure what this obsession with mileage is about; longhoods have been around the clock a few times and predate CarFax. One needs to check the chassis is solid, pretty much everything else is fixable; this goes for a 964 as well. The problem arises when turds are priced at garage queen levels.

I can't say I admire folks that bought a car in the early 90s and never drive it past 50k miles, what was the point again? Sure the seats look nice.
Higher mileage cars can be well broken in and much loved by their owners where garage queens sit and get little maintenance. I had a low mileage 911, it was not a happy car, we never bonded, it was just a grumpy drive, even left me curbside a few times with niggly cheap failures. I have had 150k mileage cars that begged to be hammered, never let me down and purred like a kitten.

Let's leave original paint alone too for now, another popular obsession. Here's a tip: if a 911 has over 50k miles and no rock chips, the hood has been painted.
Good to know there are also others with some form of sense in this forum. If the car is 'original paint' then the annoying rust spot under the driver side windshield cowl has not been taken care of. That can migrate rapidly to other areas. 964s/993s etc. all suffer from this.

Low mileage/original paint/100% stock... I hear that all the time at the cars and coffee when others talk about aircooled 911s. It sounds more like braggin' rights rather than full knowledge or appreciation for the the car and what it stands for. What I never hear is how unreliable those garage queens can often be for not being driven at all. At a mere 38k miles my 964 will turn 30 in a few months. (car in the Avatar). It sat for 11 years unfortunately undriven. After doing all that was required to bring her back to life, she was lowered to Eurospec, slapped with 4 Cup Is and a fabspeed exhaust plus an endless list of OEM part replacements and a chip to boot. Only challenge now is to somehow make the ticker reach a 1 to the left of the 38 and harness some good driving memories while doing so. Gentlemen, get out and drive.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM
LAcarguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ mine had cowl rust, spent it's whole life driving between Palm Desert and Austin Tx.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

^^ mine had cowl rust, spent it's whole life driving between Palm Desert and Austin Tx.
A large part of the rust issues come from improper washing and I try to tell people every chance I get. Drying an air cooled 911 with a towel/microfiber is completely inadequate, the water just collects in the cracks and crevices and with time it will inevitably rust. Using compressed air or a blower will help but it still won’t remove everything. If you're lucky enough to get a car that hasn't been washed frequently you'll find that it doesn't have any rust but it's rare. I'm an advocate for spending extra to buy very high quality microfibers and quick detail sprays and use a dry clean approach. I've done this with all my fun cars over the past 12 years and it has served me well. If done correctly it won't swirl/scratch the paint.

Porsche didn't do a great job with their seal designs, for example door sill seals are notorious for holding water in them for months even in dry climates. I can attest to this when I had my Targa undercarriage steam cleaned. Some water inevitably made it to the sides of the car when they washed the wheel wells. Two months later when I changed the drivers side door sill seal that had a tear on the top of it I found the entire seal full of water. Fortunately there was no rust behind the seal but the point is that if that rubber had a small hole and it was facing the car frame it would eventually start rusting.

As far as paint, I personally prefer the original factory paint that's been well maintained and protected over a respray since most resprays just can't match what the factory did. Yes I love the visuals as much as I love the driving experience. It's a whole package and you can't really fault someone for their opinion or preference.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 02-09-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

+964

Exactly, great post!

I bought my first 964 with 100,000 on the odo and drove it everywhere accumulating 55,000+ smile miles. Such an awesome car to drive. It made me be “present” and I earned so much from it. Never turned the radio on (eventually took it out). Had so much fun in the car. Fixed what neeeded to be fix, did as much preventative maintenance as possible and it just ran and ran. I told people it was an atomic VW Bug and was designed to go 500,000 miles, and if something expensive broke that’s it part of the deal and wouldn’t have to be replaced again for 20 years. The miles you don’t drive a 911, you don’t get those back...
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

There is no right or wrong when it comes to ownership and we all use and enjoy these cars in our own way. I have several cars and only so many miles a year to drive. I get out and drive as often as I can but some years I am lucky to put 200 miles on some cars while others get a few thousand. They are always there and if I don't drive them much this year I will make up for it next. Nothing wrong with not driving them 5-10k miles a year. I actually prefer to drive my track car the most the street cars are nice entertainment and I prefer to work on them as much as I do drive them. If you properly take care of your car many of these issues aren't issues. If you drive it hard and put it away wet then expect them. There are so many aspects of ownership and driving these cars is just a part of the entire experience albeit an important part.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Seanlabonte
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Available at Porsche Fresno

https://www.porschefresno.com/exotic...91ada4a21c.htm
Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM
wilson93C4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am sure everyone has seen it but I figured I would give another 93 Amazon green C2 owner some help. Rare that these have gray vs tan interior. I don't know the car although the CupI's he has listed are not factory. I just picked up a set of these i will posting for sale they are nice quality but made in Japan. Assuming all checks out price seems quite reasonable considering some of the crap being sold lately.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1123159
cobalt - Thanks for the kind note. To clarify things, those cup wheels on my 1993 car listed for sale are the porsche original equipment 16” ‘cup style’ wheels that were available (I think) starting in 1992. The other wheels are 17” Porsche Sport Classic wheels.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

All. The. Money.

https://www.chequeredflag.com/1992-P...1/Details.aspx
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
funny I was going to post the same one. I was just in there the other day...they’ve also got a black one I think for mid 80’s 🙄. Neil has nice stuff and Spends the money pre sale on any mechanical issue, and his prices reflect it although they are always asking top dollar. Usually his stuff sells for about 10-15% below asking...unless it’s something really rare that they won’t budge on.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
It shouldn't have the driver seat bolster wear with those miles. My 40k mile car has almost no wear at all; only a few creases in the leather.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
It shouldn't have the driver seat bolster wear with those miles. My 40k mile car has almost no wear at all; only a few creases in the leather.
Considering the seats aren't original to the car. The CofA and option sticker shows 8 way power seats. These are 4 way. I have seen low mile cars with excessive bolster wear but not to this extent. I also question the removal of the rear emblem, the missing door plugs and clean A arms while the rest of the undercarriage wears its original cosmoline along with what appear to be non factory front struts.

Assuming miles are accurate and paint original IMO this is way overpriced especially since it is missing its original seats.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

It says the PO spent $12k on it, although no pics of the receipts he mentions. Looks like they did the control arm bushings and suspension.

The price is pure lunacy.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale