Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:12 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I am not sure why the consensus seems to be against higher mileage cars. The P&Cs are all out of round by 60k miles and they all leak. A well maintained higher mileage car to me is better than a garage queen for all the money. I understand the chassis has been beaten on more at high mileage but most of us are upgrading suspension /brakes etc anyway. Personally, I like a little patina on seats, a very little, carpets still available from the dealer. I drive my cars often so hood chips are OK, door dings NO, (sign of poor stewardship). And a few club events at the track? So what? My car drives back from the track like it had a tune up.
For me, I often buy the seller as much as the car; which tends to eliminate any dealer. Some great cars come up off market through POC or PCA members, often at higher prices but well looked after; you may pay over on todays price but next year you look like a genius. You aren't wrong: you are early.

Oh, and NOTHING is "fully sorted". That is an English term like "ticks all the boxes". It means trust me and don't look too closely.
If you ever finish your punch list of things to do on the car........it is time to start again all over at the beginning.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

I noticed the 1994 C4 widebody discussed above is now sale-pending.

https://www.luxsport.com/1994-porsch...body-c-417.htm

Mr. Wolfe
Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Jason O'Dell
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTB C2 Coupe

On the hunt. I’m tracking eBay, Craigslist, Autotrader etc, so hoping this is for the one that “might be for sale”

Must have - C2, coupe, preferably under 100k miles, manual, non turbo

Prefered colors - black, white.

Most fav options - white with tan interior

I’m in LA - willing to travel. Will have to register in Cali so I’m pretty sure that means no Japanese specs? Correct me if I’m wrong.

This will be my first Porsche - looking to drive and enjoy it.

Thanks everyone! - jason
Old 10-23-2018, 12:52 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason O'Dell
On the hunt. I’m tracking eBay, Craigslist, Autotrader etc, so hoping this is for the one that “might be for sale”

Must have - C2, coupe, preferably under 100k miles, manual, non turbo

Prefered colors - black, white.

Most fav options - white with tan interior

I’m in LA - willing to travel. Will have to register in Cali so I’m pretty sure that means no Japanese specs? Correct me if I’m wrong.

This will be my first Porsche - looking to drive and enjoy it.

Thanks everyone! - jason
911cooled might be selling his. Hit him up.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Who wants to bring this one back to life? Poor thing had very low miles too.
https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car...E_WHEELING_IL/
Old 10-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmitch
at that price it is even good to buy it only to use parts!! But to be honest these cars need to be in the road so please someone with deep pockets rescue this beauty!!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Sucram
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I am not sure why the consensus seems to be against higher mileage cars. The P&Cs are all out of round by 60k miles and they all leak. A well maintained higher mileage car to me is better than a garage queen for all the money. I understand the chassis has been beaten on more at high mileage but most of us are upgrading suspension /brakes etc anyway. Personally, I like a little patina on seats, a very little, carpets still available from the dealer. I drive my cars often so hood chips are OK, door dings NO, (sign of poor stewardship). And a few club events at the track? So what? My car drives back from the track like it had a tune up.
For me, I often buy the seller as much as the car; which tends to eliminate any dealer. Some great cars come up off market through POC or PCA members, often at higher prices but well looked after; you may pay over on todays price but next year you look like a genius. You aren't wrong: you are early.

Oh, and NOTHING is "fully sorted". That is an English term like "ticks all the boxes". It means trust me and don't look too closely.
If you ever finish your punch list of things to do on the car........it is time to start again all over at the beginning.
Fully agree with you! These cars are full of live is treated and maintained well! Mine has 106k and I am the happiest person in earth ! These engines can run for over 250k miles! Yes proper car and maintenance is needed as with every other vehicle from the 90s
Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmitch

That is a tough rebuild and a shame. I would prefer it be a front end more than back for a major rebuild like this.

BTW All cylinders are not out of round at 60k and they don't all leak. Maybe the gen 1 engines. All depends on how they were treated high or low miles means nothing vs how well maintained.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 AM
Stoff
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Who knows anything about this midnight blue turbo-look C4? Has anyone seen it in person?

https://www.luxsport.com/1994-porsch...body-c-417.htm
What’s a fair selling price of this 1994 C4 wide body if all checked out PPI wise and mostly original paint?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:22 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoff

What’s a fair selling price of this 1994 C4 wide body if all checked out PPI wise and mostly original paint?

The mileage is pretty consistent on the carfax for what that's worth. Car was in an accident back in 2010 but not much info on it.

My opinion on Luxsport is well documented. For me to do business with them, they'd almost have to pay me to take one of their cars.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoff

Some comments earlier in this thread already on this car.

I would question mostly original paint based upon what I can see from the pictures. I would also be very careful with believing the PPI, I have heard some horror stories of things that were “overlooked” by the local shops in the Miami area and I’m not talking minor stuff either.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:56 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Some comments earlier in this thread already on this car.

I would question mostly original paint based upon what I can see from the pictures. I would also be very careful with believing the PPI, I have heard some horror stories of things that were “overlooked” by the local shops in the Miami area and I’m not talking minor stuff either.
Luxsport is in NY. Please name said shops in Miami Area so others can benefit from steering clear of the negative experience.

From my experience living in Miami and Miami Beach both for service and if you're going to PPI an aircooled Porsche you enlist Foreign Affairs or Gulf Performance both in Pompano Beach, FL.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12

Luxsport is in NY. Please name said shops in Miami Area so others can benefit from steering clear of the negative experience.

From my experience living in Miami and Miami Beach both for service and if you're going to PPI an aircooled Porsche you enlist Foreign Affairs or Gulf Performance both in Pompano Beach, FL.
My bad, I thought they were in Miami. Vertex was the shop I was referring to earlier, again based upon second hand knowledge but I saw what was missed and was shocked.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
That is a tough rebuild and a shame. I would prefer it be a front end more than back for a major rebuild like this.

BTW All cylinders are not out of round at 60k and they don't all leak. Maybe the gen 1 engines. All depends on how they were treated high or low miles means nothing vs how well maintained.
I speaking with Walt at Competition Engineering here on LA, he tells me after rebuilding hundreds of these motors over the years, 60k is average for P&Cs before going out of round. Not that it is that serious, motors last a long time after obviously.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I speaking with Walt at Competition Engineering here on LA, he tells me after rebuilding hundreds of these motors over the years, 60k is average for P&Cs before going out of round. Not that it is that serious, motors last a long time after obviously.
That is sad. There are many factors that come into play that would cause cylinders to go out of round. Usually it is the result of infrequent oil changes and not allowing the engines to come up to temp before romping on them. The earlier engines were more prone to this but any engine can be ruined at any point if not properly treated. Usually these engines blow smoke on startup and at WOT.

I have seen some nice engines with high miles and good cylinders but have worn their valve guides. This is why a good service history and records are so important.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale