Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Looks like a nice example. I am assuming it is an early 91 without the revised cylinders, heads and seals at this price otherwise I would assume the price would be higher for the miles and condition.

Only negative I see and I hate when this happens but people don't put the rear belts down when they fold the rear seats down and break the covers on the seat belts. Easy fix though.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...90-911-c2.html

1990 c2 gaurds red with lots of mods @ $45k
Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 PM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoughts on the car in the post above? I haven’t shopped 964’s in awhile, but $45k seems steep for a high mileage example with no rebuild to me.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
Thoughts on the car in the post above? I haven’t shopped 964’s in awhile, but $45k seems steep for a high mileage example with no rebuild to me.
i reached out to the seller and he sent me the history in a word doc and a pic of the engine bay and underneath. I’m on the same lines as you that it being a bit steep even if it is a c2 (not an expert like many here just my opinion). A local person to my area picked up a 194k mile C4 (I know apples vs oranges) for 36k recently and looked in much better condition cosmetic wise and didn’t have a rebuild. That said I think I’ll continue my search.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:52 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

^ I think it depends. Just to clarify the guy above said not rebuilt but it was rebuilt at one point. Also depends what a buyer wants. Was the c4 stock? As we know c2 goes for a bit more. That car has a big mod lost. Very expensive coilovers, wheels etc So just seems to depend what buyer is looking for.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:28 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
^ I think it depends. Just to clarify the guy above said not rebuilt but it was rebuilt at one point. Also depends what a buyer wants. Was the c4 stock? As we know c2 goes for a bit more. That car has a big mod lost. Very expensive coilovers, wheels etc So just seems to depend what buyer is looking for.
*Disclaimer* - just to put it out there...I’m not bashing anyone’s for sale thread I’m posting for sake of discussion and response to quoted post. And wanted to give my thoughts as I reached out to the seller. It’s ultimately any potential buyers own decision So please let’s not misunderstand. I’m not trying to sway an opinion

i hear you but regardless of c2 vs c4 mileage and over all cosmetic should be taken into consideration no? In the email sent to me this is some of the issue so listed:
• Car did have an early contact with a deer when younger. Repair was done to drivers rear quarter panel and is not visible but some of the paint blending is starting to show.
• Poor paint on hood and front chin from 169k of use
• Stain on passenger seat from sealant drip during front windshield replacement
• Driver’s seat does look to have nearly 170k miles of use
• Needs new front hood shocks. I purchased some but misplaced them during my move and am still trying to find them.
• Rear view mirror adjuster needs cap
• Has issue where low oil light will illuminate if stuck in traffic on a very hot Houston day. Mechanic is not concerned as engine oil pressure checks fine. He suspects faulty sending unit.
• Drivers side lower door seal is showing wear

Actually the c4, had coil overs, Ruf wheels, ducktail, and other mods. And you’re correct it ultimately depends on the buyer. I just feel for price should be in line with condition not just aftermarket bits. I could be wrong and it’s just the tattered interior is something I can’t get past

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 02-01-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
MGibilisco
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely not trying to bash the guy's FS thread or the car, just trying to get a little better idea of the market. After two SC's, I switched to a 997.1 C4S which I never bonded with, so I'm back hunting for an AC car.

In reading the attached documents and speaking with the seller of the car listed here: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...90-911-c2.html

I see where the engine has been "resealed", but I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more done to the internals with roughly 180k on the car.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think that's a bad deal.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Absolutely not trying to bash the guy's FS thread or the car, just trying to get a little better idea of the market. After two SC's, I switched to a 997.1 C4S which I never bonded with, so I'm back hunting for an AC car.

In reading the attached documents and speaking with the seller of the car listed here: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...90-911-c2.html

I see where the engine has been "resealed", but I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more done to the internals with roughly 180k on the car.
Absolutely, I totally understand.

This one just popped up in the forum https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...peed-128k.html Might be worth a look into and a much better example.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

After spending a considerable amount of time looking for a 964, this re-seal topic has come up constantly. And, after speaking with numerous highly respected Porsche mechanics they all say the same thing. A reseal is only a temporary fix and the motor will 100% start leaking again. Anyone who tells you they have an early 964 that does't leak is lying or they have their engine tray installed. The only way to fix it is to update to Gen II cylinders and pistons and even then, it will most likely leak. I'm sure I'll get flamed by the guys who want a spotless garage floor, but the truth of the matter is that it's an inherent design problem to a flat six motor as there will always be oil at the lowest point of the motor.
Regarding internals - I'm not sure why anyone would think internals (bottom end) needs to be touched on a car with 180k miles assuming it hasn't been abused. These cars can run double that without a full tear down...again, assuming regular maintenance and street use only. Top end is a different story...
Old 02-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Lorenzoh I am by no means an expert or mechanic but I can state that my 1990 Targa was resealed nearly 2.5 years ago and after nearly 3000 miles of driving it over the past 6 months I have not seen a drop of oil on the ground and I’m not running the rear undertray. I don’t recall seeing cylinders or pistons on the replaced parts list but the total cost was pretty high at $13k. Just a data point and perhaps I just jynxed myself by posting this.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:36 PM
MA135
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holtmotorsports
Hey all,

Amazing how quickly a new post travels in the Porsche world! thank you all for the kind words.
It really means a lot to us that you all know how seriously we take the condition of our cars.

The GR '91 C4 has the texture coating on the wheel well edges & all spot welds in the engine bay are 100% correct.
If anyone is looking for more details give me a ring at the shop tomorrow, late morning. I can go over the car in great detail, send meter readings & detailed photos of any specific area.

FYI, MA135 bought the above mentioned C2 from us and it was a straight, no BS car when we sold it and I'd gladly buy it back.
(MA give me a ring... Might have something you'd like to trade it on?)

Thanks!
-Tim Jr

Edit: Engine is dry and the price is firm.
Tim,

Thanks for the note about my car. It was indeed everything you said when I bought it, I absolutely love it. I've put some money into it and its better than a year ago as well. I can't even believe I'm considering selling it, it's a great car. But space and money are not unlimited in my house unfortunately so we will see.

-Adam
Old 02-01-2018, 05:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
After spending a considerable amount of time looking for a 964, this re-seal topic has come up constantly. And, after speaking with numerous highly respected Porsche mechanics they all say the same thing. A reseal is only a temporary fix and the motor will 100% start leaking again. Anyone who tells you they have an early 964 that does't leak is lying or they have their engine tray installed. The only way to fix it is to update to Gen II cylinders and pistons and even then, it will most likely leak. I'm sure I'll get flamed by the guys who want a spotless garage floor, but the truth of the matter is that it's an inherent design problem to a flat six motor as there will always be oil at the lowest point of the motor.
Regarding internals - I'm not sure why anyone would think internals (bottom end) needs to be touched on a car with 180k miles assuming it hasn't been abused. These cars can run double that without a full tear down...again, assuming regular maintenance and street use only. Top end is a different story...
Point of reference I know of a reworked 89 C4 engine done three years ago. Machined the heads used all original parts and did not add the seals. Owner has daily driven the car since and has put many thousands of miles. So far no oil leaks. Whether it is a matter of time we will see but also who did the work makes a difference. Engine was rebuilt by a 50 year veteran Porsche engine builder.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^ i am with cobalt.
we joke about all AC 911 leak or sweat....
i believed it too.
i have a cherry G and a nice 964, i do mean it and have only seen 2 (i have seen a lot) of G body in better condition, both got zero sweat and zero leak.
you just need a real mechanic on these and there aren't that many AC tech that really know what they are doing.... dieter of andial did some magic on mine.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Interior looks new. That has to be a new gear shift ****.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173133209102

Last edited by Boeing 717; 02-01-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale