Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
The market for a tip is a lot smaller. Many languish on the market for many many months. Nice clean straight tip cars tend to sit around a lot.
I agree, $2k to $5k seems light. Probably closer to $10k difference unless seller is ok with car sitting on market for 12+ months until right buyer comes along.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 PM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I am in the market for a 964,,, and have been looking for several months.... I can tell you that i would not even consider an Automatic (Tiptronic)..... I did have a 1999 Carrera with Tiptronic ,,,, and liked it at the time. I know that the 996 Tip was rated far better than the 964 Tip,,,,but to give you a sense of Market appeal,,,,I wouldn't even consider a 964 Tip.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by afshinbahrami
For what it's worth, I am in the market for a 964,,, and have been looking for several months.... I can tell you that i would not even consider an Automatic (Tiptronic)..... I did have a 1999 Carrera with Tiptronic ,,,, and liked it at the time. I know that the 996 Tip was rated far better than the 964 Tip,,,,but to give you a sense of Market appeal,,,,I wouldn't even consider a 964 Tip.
Yuck!!! That's the equivalent of having propellers on a 747. Well, I guess a tip would be ok on a convertible for the wife.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:23 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
How much you think this beauty will sell for?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-2-2/
hammered at $84,525 with buyers fee
Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
hammered at $84,525 with buyers fee
Wow my estimate was spot on, even with the replaced rear quarter panel and hood respray/replacement.

That’s a strong outcome and definitely says something about the market. I’m convinced many here are underestimating the values of these cars, there are so few good ones out there. I’ve found that even the “high end” dealers don’t always have good examples but still ask for and often get top dollar.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:44 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Wow my estimate was spot on, even with the replaced rear quarter panel and hood respray/replacement.

That’s a strong outcome and definitely says something about the market. I’m convinced many here are underestimating the values of these cars, there are so few good ones out there. I’ve found that even the “high end” dealers don’t always have good examples but still ask for and often get top dollar.
Agreed - strong, healthy result. I do agree that this was a beauty, but didn't earn a full premium due to quarter panel, hood respray and more corrosion than would be seen on a CA (or other dry state) car. My 82 with 65K miles and 97 with 52K miles have much less corrosion on the metal bits in the engine bay and undercarriage than that car did - but they are CA cars.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Big bucks considering the questionable paint issues that popped up but then again find another Horizon Blue C2 Coupe with less than 25k miles
Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 AM
reed
Advanced

I think the recent BaT sale was a bit of an anomaly. I think a few people got really excited about the long-term ownership and low mileage and ignored the body/paint work as well as the fact that it wasn't really in exceptional condition. For a car with only 23K miles it looked kind of rough: Soiled carpets, worn leather, and corrosion that looked out of place on a well-maintained car. I know everyone was gushing about how rare Horizon Blue/Linen was, but to me it is a color combo that looks more appropriate on a Grand Marquis. If it was a rare AND desirable color, that would be another thing altogether.

In the end, I think auction fever struck because it was a C2 manual coupe. I don't think this result is repeatable or reflects a sudden increase in values. And if it had been anything other than a C2, manual, coupe, it probably wouldn't have brought half as much.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Little surprised a car that had body work brought that much. The market is strong for good cars. I had to pay over $100k for a special no stories car. Much nicer than this car. Good cars will continue to rise in value much like the good 67-73 cars did a few years back.

Economy is getting better. Supply is low. Better get one while you can before there all gone. $100k for a good 964 is right around the corner.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by reed
I think the recent BaT sale was a bit of an anomaly. I think a few people got really excited about the long-term ownership and low mileage and ignored the body/paint work as well as the fact that it wasn't really in exceptional condition. For a car with only 23K miles it looked kind of rough: Soiled carpets, worn leather, and corrosion that looked out of place on a well-maintained car. I know everyone was gushing about how rare Horizon Blue/Linen was, but to me it is a color combo that looks more appropriate on a Grand Marquis. If it was a rare AND desirable color, that would be another thing altogether.

In the end, I think auction fever struck because it was a C2 manual coupe. I don't think this result is repeatable or reflects a sudden increase in values. And if it had been anything other than a C2, manual, coupe, it probably wouldn't have brought half as much.
Add up all the pros and cons noted and this car IMO sold for what it should have. If there were no ? regarding body work and a little effort into cleaning it up better I would have expected it to bring closer to 6 figures. I think this car solidifies what we know about the 964 coupe market. This car had some boxes checked we haven't seen in a while. A better test of the market no doubt would be a similar car without any ?.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Add up all the pros and cons noted and this car IMO sold for what it should have. If there were no ? regarding body work and a little effort into cleaning it up better I would have expected it to bring closer to 6 figures. I think this car solidifies what we know about the 964 coupe market. This car had some boxes checked we haven't seen in a while. A better test of the market no doubt would be a similar car without any ?.
Agreed

When I first started searching air cooled cars the 964 was not coming up in my searches and budget other than cabs and tips. My search was for a sub 100K mile car with very good cosmetics, recent top end rebuild, good compression and updated maintenance history below $50k. I know asking prices are not necessarily sell prices but to be honest I never came across anything that matched my cosmetic criteria at $55K to investigate further. I got lucky with my Targa and had the seller spent any real amount of time taking decent pictures and providing the history he would have easily gotten another $10k.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 12-31-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 PM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Originally Posted by reed

I agree with you 100%,,,I've also been looking for a C2 coupe for longer than i want to admit,,,, and for me, there were way too many questionable items on this car,,, and ultimately, I really wasn't crazy about the exterior color,,, additionally, I simply could not wrap my head around the clear "Montana" title,,,, long term VT car, for sale in TX with a clear Montana Title,,,,and the options sticker missing under the hood,,,,etc,,,,etc,,,,,oh well,,,, the seach goes on,,,,I did ask Santa for an honest seller,,,, with a straight car
Old 12-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Montana title thing is pretty common. a lot of people register cars and RVs there to avoid taxes. theres something like 26 Mclaren P1 registered in Montana...

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...c0bf7e398.html
Old 12-31-2017, 03:06 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

'91 Cab 17500 US dollars. in Quebec. http://www.autosmag.ca/porsche-911-1991-occasion.html

no affiliation. just noticed it - on a search.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Wonder if this is a real one

Only one in red? Cross listed on eBay for $261,000, seems like a fair deal given the mileage.

https://www.excellauto.com/1992-pors...p-car-c-51.htm

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale