Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 07:50 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree either way but there is always those points of diminishing returns. Sometimes it is just easier to drop the motor and fix everything while in there. It takes me as much time to R&I a motor these days as it does for me to pull an entire intake off and replace it in the car. It is work either way but I just find it best to drop them when working on them. It all depends on your equipment and skill level.
I had the same thoughts...as there are other things I'd like to take care of. But with Werks next week, I'm going to just do the things that are somewhat easy to get to. Still sorting engine mounts and a few other things.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:59 PM
Matt Cooke
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, I am reinstalling a battery into my 1991 targa and I am seeing sparks from the negative terminal and somewhere else on the battery. Once I got the negative terminal on those sparks stopped. The other sparks continued. I have a picture here and it is in the area that is circled on the lower right part of the battery. There is some corrosion on that black piece on the bottom of the frame. I have no idea what that part is, looks like the positive battery cable is housed in it. But the sparks kept going on the bottom part near the corrosion when I let the car idle. I turn the car off and took the negative terminal off. I am pretty worried I messed something up. I am total newb at this stuff and I greatly appreciate any advice.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:11 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Yes, that adapter should work fine. Remember to close the frunk while charging. Otherwise the frunk light switch will turn on the frunk, interior lights and the engine cover, making it harder for your battery maintainer to keep the battery charged.
if you push the latch that holds the frunk hood down with your finger, the light will go out in about 30 seconds. Just remember to open the latch with the frunk release handle before you try to close the frunk hood.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Cooke
Hi all, I am reinstalling a battery into my 1991 targa and I am seeing sparks from the negative terminal and somewhere else on the battery. Once I got the negative terminal on those sparks stopped. The other sparks continued. I have a picture here and it is in the area that is circled on the lower right part of the battery. There is some corrosion on that black piece on the bottom of the frame. I have no idea what that part is, looks like the positive battery cable is housed in it. But the sparks kept going on the bottom part near the corrosion when I let the car idle. I turn the car off and took the negative terminal off. I am pretty worried I messed something up. I am total newb at this stuff and I greatly appreciate any advice.
Could I bother you for the part number off the gold plaque showing inflation pressure for the spare?
Old 03-28-2023, 09:48 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

[
Originally Posted by Matt Cooke
That black piece is there to protect the battery positive wire and my guess is that if you have sparks in the circled area, the shielding on the wire may be compromised. Remove your battery, remove the flat metal piece, and inspect your positive wire closely.
​​​​
Originally Posted by cobalt
Could I bother you for the part number off the gold plaque showing inflation pressure for the spare?
Part# 911-701-137-04
The following users liked this post:
abarthguy (04-07-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 06:47 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
[
That black piece is there to protect the battery positive wire and my guess is that if you have sparks in the circled area, the shielding on the wire may be compromised. Remove your battery, remove the flat metal piece, and inspect your positive wire closely.
Agree. Remove the battery and cable cover and make any repairs or replace cable entirely.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:34 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 135 Posts

When setting valves or otherwise needing precise rotation of the crankshaft with the engine in the car, how do you guys do that?

I have been doing it by putting a wrench on the alternator pulley nut, but I really hate to do that. First off the belt wants to slip sometimes and secondly, I am not sure the alternator bearings are too happy about this kind of loading. So when I first learned about the 9290 tool, I thought that it is what it was made for, but apparently not. However, could it be used for rotation of the crankshaft while the engine is still in the car?
Old 04-06-2023, 05:38 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Can't recall - can you not get a socket on the harmonic balancer nut with the engine in situ? If not I wouldn't feel too bad about using the alternator. Take one set of spark plugs out and make sure the belt is tensioned...
Old 04-06-2023, 05:46 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r-mm
Can't recall - can you not get a socket on the harmonic balancer nut with the engine in situ? If not I wouldn't feel too bad about using the alternator. Take one set of spark plugs out and make sure the belt is tensioned...
Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean bolt identified as #16 on the below diagram? I have been unable to get a normal socket to get anywhere close to that location, at least not from above. The clearance is really tight and I am not even sure what size socket I need. If I knew the size I could shorten a socket and weld a handle onto it.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:49 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Yep, that.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:54 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Nice! Thanks. PET says that bolt is M14 and according to Google the standard head size for M14 is 22mm. Don't suppose you remember what size that black socket is?
Old 04-06-2023, 05:54 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

22mm
Old 04-06-2023, 05:59 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Excellent. Thank you. The final question: Does anyone know the depth from the outer face of pulley to the seating surface of the bolt? Just from your photo it looks like at least 20-30mm.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:51 AM
964tip
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default specific 964 Tiptronic Technical question.

I am working on a project using this trans along with the "flex/drive plate" . I am welding the mounting holes and drilling a new crank pattern. What I need to know is what is the angle in BTDC degrees does the ECU need to see from the crank sensor? anyone?
Old 04-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Matt Cooke
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am actually out of town away from the car, but I will get you this when I get back.

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...