Matt Cooke
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir!
Old 06-26-2023, 12:20 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,024 Likes on 486 Posts

Question re: starting. Every so often, my RSA will "miss" a start when the key is turned. 9 times out of 10, it starts instantly and without issue. But now and then, it seems to just "miss," and makes a little electrical whirring sound.

It never persists, and starts immediately on the second key turn after "resetting" by turning the key back a position.

I seem to recall my 3.2 doing this from time to time as well, but it seemed to coincide with having the AC on, and would start right up with AC off.

Car has zero other issues and runs incredibly well. This itself is not really an issue either; more of a curiosity to see if it's normal operating behavior.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2023, 12:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Question re: starting. Every so often, my RSA will "miss" a start when the key is turned. 9 times out of 10, it starts instantly and without issue. But now and then, it seems to just "miss," and makes a little electrical whirring sound.

It never persists, and starts immediately on the second key turn after "resetting" by turning the key back a position.

I seem to recall my 3.2 doing this from time to time as well, but it seemed to coincide with having the AC on, and would start right up with AC off.

Car has zero other issues and runs incredibly well. This itself is not really an issue either; more of a curiosity to see if it's normal operating behavior.

Thanks!
Sadly, there could be a new or rebuilt starter in your future.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:33 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Sadly, there could be a new or rebuilt starter in your future.
That's okay if that's the issue. I'm casually going through and refreshing everything on the car anyway, and (mostly) enjoying the process. Just finished all suspension bushings + Elephant parts + KWV3s + mounts, along with new body and door seals. Most obnoxious job so far was the MPL slave cylinder. Doing brakes and rotors this week.

Anything I should keep an eye out for that might hasten the need ? Will that non-start symptom just gradually worsen ?
Old 06-26-2023, 12:41 PM
jmesh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb question, I hope. There's a slight wisp of clutch smell when I shift after having let a friend drive the car last week. He used to race cars but turns out to be terrible at shifting! Is this anything to worry about? The clutch still seems to work perfectly, no change in feel and shifts are crisp.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

That's okay if that's the issue. I'm casually going through and refreshing everything on the car anyway, and (mostly) enjoying the process. Just finished all suspension bushings + Elephant parts + KWV3s + mounts, along with new body and door seals. Most obnoxious job so far was the MPL slave cylinder. Doing brakes and rotors this week.

Anything I should keep an eye out for that might hasten the need ? Will that non-start symptom just gradually worsen ?
It’s probably the starter’s bendix drive, and it will only get worse, particularly with hot starts.
The following users liked this post:
jreifler (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 06:00 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Well, on to the next one - Since it’s 115 outside today, stopped by my mechanic to recharge the AC. It was blowing cool air, but not cold, and not terribly strong. Car lived its life very sparingly used in the Northeast for the last 15+ years, so probably never really used the AC. Mechanic said it was damn near empty, so he filled and I left.

Within 10 minutes, I noticed a “drag” on acceleration on the interstate. Not really a stutter or dip in RPMs, but a distinct pulsing lag independent of engine speed, as if the motor was being overtaxed. It persisted at lower speeds, but vanished entirely with AC off. Also seemed to coincide with a sort of whining fan noise from the dash / frunk area. Drove it around for another hour experimenting, and it continued intermittently. It’s not doing it right now, but do we have any idea what the issue could be ?

Would a failing compressor tax the engine like that ? Never happened before - even with AC on full charge. Only just appeared today immediately after the AC was recharged.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:34 AM
bass 1
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

How can I determine if my front struts are blown? Normally, if a shock absorber rebounds very quickly when compressed it is obviously no good. The OEM front shocks removed from my 964 require decent force to compress, but then hold position and do not slowly extend. To me, this seems like they are shot... but thought I would check here first. Thanks for any input!
Old 08-25-2023, 12:28 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by bass 1
How can I determine if my front struts are blown? Normally, if a shock absorber rebounds very quickly when compressed it is obviously no good. The OEM front shocks removed from my 964 require decent force to compress, but then hold position and do not slowly extend. To me, this seems like they are shot... but thought I would check here first. Thanks for any input!
They are 30 plus years old 🤣 I took mine off removed springs and compressed them. 2 weeks later they were still compressed when I threw them in the trash.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:45 AM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two noob questions:

what is the purpose of a rear parcel shelf?

do our fog lights stay on once the ignition is on? Mine does and it seems weird as the fog light switch does nothing.

thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2023, 10:28 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

I mean it will never leave you stranded, you can always bump start a stick car.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:29 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by bass 1

They're shot. They should be hard to compress and rebound right out.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Shocks,

If they do not show significant need for force on compression and do not rebound quickly they are NG. I found most factory units (BOGE) were NG decades ago on cars with very few miles. My 94 turbo had 24k miles on it in 2003 when I swapped them out and they were NG.

Rear parcel shelf:

The US DoT required rear passenger seat safety. In order to pass DoT requirements for rear passenger restraints they either had to install belts and have them tested to the standards or Porsche chose to install the rear shelf so they wouldn't be categorized as a 2+2. Eliminating the need for rear seats, belts and testing.

Fog lights must have been rewired to come on with the ignition.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-05-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:14 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jmesh
Dumb question, I hope. There's a slight wisp of clutch smell when I shift after having let a friend drive the car last week. He used to race cars but turns out to be terrible at shifting! Is this anything to worry about? The clutch still seems to work perfectly, no change in feel and shifts are crisp.
Your friend needs upgraded driving skills. If he terrible shifting, how did he do racing? Seriously, he probably reduced the clutch life a little but it's not fatal I assume, since the clutch doesn't slip. Just don't let him drive again.

Last edited by cjoenck; 09-05-2023 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 01:36 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
I mean it will never leave you stranded, you can always bump start a stick car.
So, starter was indeed on its last leg. Has since been replaced. Now onto tracking down a misfire . . .

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...