Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 04:11 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah930
How am I supposed to reattach the shark fins, specifically the passenger (starboard/right) side one? There are those two little super fragile and wimpy sets of plastic tabs that hook onto the nylon clip-bolt thingies that screw into the sheetmetal. Do I attach those nylon clip-bolt thingies to the shark fin, and then screw on the nut on the backside of the sheet metal? Or do I attach the nylon clip-bolt doohickey to the sheet metal, and then slip the super-fragile plastic tabs on the shark fin into them?

For the life of me, I cannot get the clip in the middle of the right side shark fin to attach. The oil lines/thermostat/drain plug and the curvature of the shark fin under the car conspire to make it impossible for my fat fingers to get in there to attach that middle plastic clip. Whether it's sliding the plastic tabs into the nylon clip (which has already been attached to the sheet metal) , or attaching the locking nut to the stem of the clip (which has been slid into the plastic shark fin tabs).
Take a look at this https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cover-gap.html

The method many use is to attach the clip with stud to the rocker panel (either with the original bits or plastic epoxy) and then bolt the fin up from there.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:48 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Take a look at this https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cover-gap.html

The method many use is to attach the clip with stud to the rocker panel (either with the original bits or plastic epoxy) and then bolt the fin up from there.
Yeah, there is one of those attachments in the right shark fin that is simply inaccessible from the backside. That's my problem. Impossible to apply the bolt to the stud.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah930
How am I supposed to reattach the shark fins, specifically the passenger (starboard/right) side one? There are those two little super fragile and wimpy sets of plastic tabs that hook onto the nylon clip-bolt thingies that screw into the sheetmetal. Do I attach those nylon clip-bolt thingies to the shark fin, and then screw on the nut on the backside of the sheet metal? Or do I attach the nylon clip-bolt doohickey to the sheet metal, and then slip the super-fragile plastic tabs on the shark fin into them?

For the life of me, I cannot get the clip in the middle of the right side shark fin to attach. The oil lines/thermostat/drain plug and the curvature of the shark fin under the car conspire to make it impossible for my fat fingers to get in there to attach that middle plastic clip. Whether it's sliding the plastic tabs into the nylon clip (which has already been attached to the sheet metal) , or attaching the locking nut to the stem of the clip (which has been slid into the plastic shark fin tabs).
I have glued (epoxy) the nylon clips to my shark fin. I then use a ratcheting box wrench to attach the plastic nut to the back side. I do the top and bottom first and the center one last.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:11 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I also used plastic epoxy to attach the clip to the Sharkfin and a ratcheting 10mm. It's easiest to have the rear wheel off when attaching the nut to the stud.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:12 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

I have another silly question......I have a rennline Accelerator pedal that i'd like to install. However one of the studs that fasten the oem pedal to the floor was rusted up and broke off. The other stud's nut is seized as well and likely to break off if I attempt. While I don't have access to a CD (capacitor discharge) stud welding tool. Does anyone know if it's ok to just drill and tap a hole as an alternative method? I had the car on my quick jack but i'm unable to see an area to drill from the bottom of the car underneath the pedal.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:40 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
I have another silly question......I have a rennline Accelerator pedal that i'd like to install. However one of the studs that fasten the oem pedal to the floor was rusted up and broke off. The other stud's nut is seized as well and likely to break off if I attempt. While I don't have access to a CD (capacitor discharge) stud welding tool. Does anyone know if it's ok to just drill and tap a hole as an alternative method? I had the car on my quick jack but i'm unable to see an area to drill from the bottom of the car underneath the pedal.
good place for metric NutSerts (6mm).
Old 06-05-2022, 08:13 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

Like this set.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-05-2022, 04:35 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cbracerx
good place for metric NutSerts (6mm).
Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Thank you Gents. Looks like I'll finally be able have a nice pedal and heel/toe much easier in the car.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Ryan, make sure you slather some underbelly coating after you do that under the car...

Another way to do this btw, is drill the holes from
Up above, and then from underneath, you can slip m6 hex bolts up from the bottom, tack weld the heads to the floor pan, and then you don't need the stud welder.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:03 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goughary
Ryan, make sure you slather some underbelly coating after you do that under the car...

Another way to do this btw, is drill the holes from
Up above, and then from underneath, you can slip m6 hex bolts up from the bottom, tack weld the heads to the floor pan, and then you don't need the stud welder.
I'm actually doing it from above. I'll drill out the existing studs and replace them with the NutSerts as advised. Then I'll just bolt them down that way since they're threaded
Old 06-08-2022, 02:16 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

so my oil level gauge only seems to work properly when the car is stationary - it shows as in the middle, otherwise its down at the bottom when moving is that normal? All my other gauges work fine
Old 06-08-2022, 02:20 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
so my oil level gauge only seems to work properly when the car is stationary - it shows as in the middle, otherwise its down at the bottom when moving is that normal? All my other gauges work fine
Yes normal behavior
Old 06-08-2022, 02:21 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

thank you!
Old 06-08-2022, 11:36 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by smegman
Yes, normal. You should measure oil level with the engine running and the engine at normal temp, i.e. with oil thermostat open, and the car on a level surface.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:28 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 137 Posts

Quick question about battery maintainer/charger.

I'm going to be away for a few weeks in August and I think I'll need to plug my car in while I'm gone. I've got an old Charge-O-Mat that the dealer gave me when I bought my 997 years ago. In my 964, I've replaced the lighter socket with a USB port, so I'll have to attach the charger directly to the battery. Will the adapter shown below work without issue? Any risks there?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...