Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
My next job that I've literally been putting off for years - noise is just on my passenger side at same speed.
For me, the wind noise was being created by those tiny plastic covers that sit at the lower leading edge of the door quarters. When the door is shut, they're sandwiched between the door window frame and the rubber door seal. The wind was getting under it and making a hissing/whistling noise at speed. I took them off, covered the reverse of them in a non-setting sealant, squidged them back down and wiped of the excess. Works a treat, the wind can't get under them anymore
Old 05-21-2014, 05:28 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Well its been a while since I've updated this thread! And that's because we've actually been using the car whenever we can. Its superb - I love it

A couple of jobs have been finished off tho like the headlining. This proved to be a very tricky and time consuming job. As ever tho, lessons learned and next time it'll be an easier job since I now know what does and doesn't work. I had to go through a few iterations before I reached a level of finish I was satisfied with.

It's kind of difficult to photograph a matt finished textured material so sorry about the poor images. So how did I do it? First off I ignored the main expanse of the roof and and just focused on the perimeter structure. The material I used has a 3mm foam backing and was stuck directly to the metalwork. I managed to do the whole lot it a single sheet with no cut-joins or creases. It wasn't easy. The center section was then cutout and discarded.

I then set about making a template from a piece of vinyl floor covering that filled the main inner roof section and butted perfectly along every edge. This was by far the hardest job. I made 4 different templates before getting it absolutely right. This template was then transferred onto a sheet of 10mm closed cell foam (the same as I used on the rear shelf for sound deadening - it weights nothing). I then cut out the foam, a few trial fits and minor fettling, and it fitted pretty darn good. The foam was then covered in the materal and the whole thing stuck to the roof like a big pad. Judge for yourselves if you like it or not (looks better in the flesh) but I think it looks pretty good. Having the material stuck directly to the perimeter structure means it follows every contour and gives it a kind of racey look. With the centre pad, it also breaks up the roof space of what otherwise would be an expanse of black. Almost like a detail feature.

The next job was to create and fit a rain-light style high level brake light.
So I bought the LED unit, remodeled it a bit and made a mounting bracket. I ran the wire up behind the roof lining. It's also connected up with one of those little velleman flasher circuits (only flashes the first time the pedal is pressed in within a 10-15 second interval)

It may look low, or that it may be an irritation in the rear view mirror but actually most of it is out of view and obscured by the roll bar.

It's darn bright too.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:46 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob
I think the head lining looks awesome the two sections make it a feature rather than a plain sheet of material.
As ever very well done!
Simon.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Very impressive. I had a Southbound Alcantara headlining fitted by my bodyshop when they did all the work on my car which included the sunroof delete. It was a tough job, and took them many days to get right. Full respect tackling that. I love this car.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Originally Posted by robt964
For me, the wind noise was being created by those tiny plastic covers that sit at the lower leading edge of the door quarters. When the door is shut, they're sandwiched between the door window frame and the rubber door seal. The wind was getting under it and making a hissing/whistling noise at speed. I took them off, covered the reverse of them in a non-setting sealant, squidged them back down and wiped of the excess. Works a treat, the wind can't get under them anymore
Can you take a pic or provide part number of the covers mate, I'll try that first. Cheers
Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Can you take a pic or provide part number of the covers mate, I'll try that first. Cheers
PET 804-15 - Part No 14

Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM
J81 JKR
Pro

Great thank you - id love it to be as simple a fix as that, fingers crossed!

Your car looks awesome btw, hopefully see it soon at one of the London meets.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

wow! this is the best one man build, DIY thread ever! definitely makes you THE MAN! around these parts.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I assume that LED third-brake light is much brighter than the OEM third-brake light (for those of us who have them on our cars).

Have you driven it at night? Does the light glare or reflect onto the rear glass since the surround on the light doesn't come all the way to the glass?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:59 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Rob, a great job with the roof lining, I know they are difficult to do, I've seen guys who do it for a living muck it up.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:26 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, once again, mega impressive job! You make the pros look bad... Were you able to do the headliner with all the glass in place?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:13 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Fantastic ! Well done ...
Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff. Well done - hopefully one day we'll see it!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the kind words chaps

Originally Posted by Vandit
Have you driven it at night? Does the light glare or reflect onto the rear glass since the surround on the light doesn't come all the way to the glass?
Not driven it at night yet. The unit has quite a narrow beam angle so I'm hoping any reflection is minimal. I'll report back once I've tried it.

Originally Posted by jstyer
Were you able to do the headliner with all the glass in place?
Yep, no need top pop the windows. Well, I say that but I did accidently push one of the rear quarters almost out so had to pop over to fuch's so that he could pop it back in for me. Given the sharp pointy tools required to do this and proximity to shiny paint work I'm glad I left that to the pro

As this material/approach is not as stretched as the OEM headliner, the edges of the material can simple be pushed under the rubber seals.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Rob

great work, I really enjoy your thread.

Can I ask did Spectrum refurb the oil line I've highlighted, I'm struggling to find someone local that can do the 90 degree in 22mm

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb