Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Been a while since I've posted on this thread !
Still been busy tweaking the car here and there. Made up my cup car floor boards a few weeks back complete with the dished washers.

The washers were formed with a hydraulic press and a few formers. The boards are then secured down with bolts into some rivnuts fitted into the box sections of the floor.

Bit of skateboard tape to finish them up

Drivers side...

Going to have a good snoop around at Lemans Classic this weekend for some more detail ideas. This will also be the longest journey the car will have made so far.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:45 PM
P356GT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, that looks really nice what you have done to ya floorboards.
Allways good workmanship to the details :-)

So what do you have left to do?
O yes your thick B-G quick release...... I just emailed B-G again to get a delivery date but they are still testing the newer smaller version and could not give me a new date :-( it was due to be available at the end of June before.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

oh.... there is still much to do

For example (in no particular order)

Carbon oil cooler tray and shrouding (all part of the theme to replace anything metal under the car)
Carbon front brake ducting (link up with the ducts in the front bumper)
Plumbed in engine bay extinguisher
Carbon rear wheel arch liners
Weld in inboard seat belt anchor points into the sides of the center tunnel
Front center towing ring (body mounted, not bumper)
3 piece wheels
RS lightweight flywheel & clutch
More engine bay de-cluttering
Shift light
HVAC / CCU elimination (I want old skool controls with two simple manual sliders)
Dashboard top recovering
Dashboard face recovering (will hide the holes left by redundant switches when I remove them)
Stand alone ECU
Cam upgrade & possible ITB conversion (don't need a rebuild since the engine was done 2-3 years back)
and many, many other ideas. I won't be bored
Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work with skateboard tape. Think I'll add some of that to mine.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my line of work I get to work on some awesome cars that have had mucho money and time spent on them by garages and self built by owners and this is the best built thought out car I've had the fortune of having a small piece of input in its build in to the epic car it is now...its really that good guys, to the point I would have this over a stock rs! I bet it drives better than one with its new Skool thinking but old style looks......love to get a drive of both to compare😎
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice work with the boards! If you want the more "cup correct" you should use bolts with a hex-head instead of Philips. And use a drill saw to remove wood around the hole so the washer sits flat.

Thomas
Old 07-03-2014, 09:18 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

>love to get a drive of both to compare

Geeees - thanks

You're welcome whenever you like chappie
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob!

Just sent you a PM enquiring about some of your methods.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
More progress....
I've installed the new clutch line. Instead of the porsche item ($$$) I've opted for a flexible line that is more than rated for the job. This is a PTFE bore with stainless braid. The braid has a very smooth clear abraisive resistant coating which means it won't chew everything it touches. The line is a single piece from MC to slave with no breaks. I've also had to add a few extra P clips along the route for additional support. (all stainless
Hi Rob

I don't suppose you have details of the fixings you used to attach to the slave? I've bust a pressure line getting the transmission all back in and was looking to do something similar to this

Cheers
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Well - its in and working :-)

Filled it with fluid and sparked it up. For the purpose of the test, I've temporarily wired the 'sense' wire to a ignition switched supply in the fuse box until I identify the correct alternator lead. It sounds very cool :-p. There is a about a 3sec delay from turning the key before the pump starts. It immediately revs to full speed for 2secs before dropping to a lower speed. I think the pump has has 3 power settings that it switches between as you load up the steering. Haven't obviously driven with it yet tho.

I took all the loom at the front of the car apart and integrated the wires into that before recovering with proper non-adhesive loom tape. The power leads run all the way down to the battery terminals just like those of the ABS pump.
how happy are you with this Rob? is it working as you hoped?
I'm think of tackling this and ridding the engine bay of another 5kgs
Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cptnzero
Hi Rob

I don't suppose you have details of the fixings you used to attach to the slave? I've bust a pressure line getting the transmission all back in and was looking to do something similar to this

Cheers
I'll take a look through the 'Think Automotive' receipts. It will be tricky working out which part was which mind, as I typically dump parts on their counter and ask for bits to connect 'A' to 'B'

Originally Posted by HiWind
how happy are you with this Rob? is it working as you hoped?
I'm think of tackling this and ridding the engine bay of another 5kgs
Very happy wil this mod as there are many wins with it. Cleaner engine bay, less tunnel services, less messy lines to break when dropping the engine, moves a chunk of weight forward, simpler solution/installation and it works just great. In all honesty, I can't tell the difference in terms of feel. I recon the handful of unions, short length of hose and purchase of the 2nd hand pump all came in at something like 200quid. You can even use a new pump if you like as they're not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I chose not to at the time as idea wasn't yet proven.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM
dave964diver
Racer

I'll take a look through the 'Think Automotive' receipts. It will be tricky working out which part was which mind, as I typically dump parts on their counter and ask for bits to connect 'A' to 'B'

Very happy wil this mod as there are many wins with it. Cleaner engine bay, less tunnel services, less messy lines to break when dropping the engine, moves a chunk of weight forward, simpler solution/installation and it works just great. In all honesty, I can't tell the difference in terms of feel. I recon the handful of unions, short length of hose and purchase of the 2nd hand pump all came in at something like 200quid. You can even use a new pump if you like as they're not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I chose not to at the time as idea wasn't yet proven.
+ 1 on this Rob. One of the best mods I did to my 964. I have the feed for the 12v on the rear wiper switch on the dash so can run it with the engine off. Not a lot different to the stock feel and I usually switch it off when I'm on the move. But like you say no complicated belts and hoses reservoirs and pump to worry about.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dave964diver
I have the feed for the 12v on the rear wiper switch on the dash...
I assume you mean the 'signal' wire used to trigger the pump to start rather than the actual +12v for the motor as this should be direct wired to the battery just like the ABS pump.

I did think about adding an additional switch for operation with ignition off but then thought I'd actually probably never use it. The pump runs at different speeds depending on how you're twirlling the wheel. Under normal driving the pump has little work to do and runs at a low speed.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 AM
dave964diver
Racer

I assume you mean the 'signal' wire used to trigger the pump to start rather than the actual +12v for the motor as this should be direct wired to the battery just like the ABS pump.

I did think about adding an additional switch for operation with ignition off but then thought I'd actually probably never use it. The pump runs at different speeds depending on how you're twirlling the wheel. Under normal driving the pump has little work to do and runs at a low speed.
Oh yes sorry! Signal wire to the switch and it's plumbed directly into the battery via a 30amp fuse. By all accounts chatting to my local garage they replace a lot of these pumps. So for me using it when I need it will hopefully extend it's life and not wear it out too soon. Underway there is little difference in feel. I have 9inch front tyres so it's welcome at slow speeds or parking but really unnoticeable at high speeds unless you take a really tight corner.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

They probably replace a lot of these pumps due to the cars that run them being quite old and high mileage now.

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb