Sponsored by:

964 Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
>where did you buy your carbon fibre rear fan delete pipe from?

RosePassion
cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring this subject up and one that I discussed with the manufacturer prior to ordering This *IS* the RHD one. If you like your brain jelly where it is you really don't want the cross member directly behind your head. It also permits a slightly more rearward position of the drivers seat should it be needed - which in this case it is It is unlikely the passenger seat will require to be so rearward.

Maybe something lost in translation or maybe this company dont do a RHD cage but the strongest point on the cage always above the drivers head with this type of cage. All the cages on their website are LHD as you would expect of a German company...
Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great Rob! Well done, Toms done some great bodywork I see too.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking great. Look forward to the next updates
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Took the cage over to Lemass at the weekend for a trial fit. Everything lined up with the bolt holes ok but it looks like it'll need a bit of stretching and shoe-horning to fit laterally accross the car. Will possibly be a case of using longer mounting bolts to wind it in - or the sissor jack and lumps of wood trick that others sometimes use
Forgot to take the pictures off the camera so don't have them with me now - I'll post them up later.

Jumped the gun a bit here and layed up a carbon fuel pump cover on Sunday. Cracked it out lastnight and trimmed it to shape. It looks ok but I didn't get too OTT on it since its not a visible part. I'll flatten off the visible side with 1000grit w-n-d then bring it back up with some composit polish.

Sorry for the cr@ppy pics - I just had time to snap them with the phone before leaving the house this morning.

This is the visible side :-

I didn't attempt to recreate the louvres. They're alot of work and never come out right unless you use a plug and mold.

This is the pump side :-

Its a wet-lay (steady chaps) so the finish is only on one side. Weighs in at a hefty 120grams!

Last edited by robt964; 12-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Very cool, what was the old covers weight?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

458grams
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I know! but I couldn't wait to see what it was

The cage is manufactured by these guys http://www.wiechers-sport.de/ but I ordered it through a contact at http://www.kscimport.nl/ They were extremely helpful and very patient since I had a lot of questions regarding the sunroof / non-sunroof fit and not properly understanding the crazy NL order form

I've been mulling over about painting it or leaving it black. Same goes for the seat backs. Do you think painting it red will look too garish or 'stand out' given that the interior will be the usual all black appbiz lightweight carpet set, doors panels and PP leather seats?
Hi Rob,
Nice roll bar , where would you hook the harness belts , you don't want them to rest on the bucket seat hole belts ...
Maybe you could weld a bar across ...?!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Hi Rob,

A trick I've used in the past to get the "legs" of a roll bar in position, is to get some lightweight ratchet straps from Machine Mart (or similar)...the usual tie-downs used for trailers etc are probably a little to big and heavy duty, but something like these is what I bought for my cage (albeit mine were simpler straps without the metal hook, but it was a few yrs ago now) - just enough oomph to pull them in those vital last mm or 10.

HTH
S
Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks chaps

For now, I'll just use the stock 3 point harnesses as I've still got a fair way to go before this sees a track. Also, the jury is still out on the harness setup.

I'll want to put in proper anchor points so this is going to take more thought as I'm not happy about using the existing points with a harness that are also now shared with the roll cage. Doing so with the stock 3-point I'm comfortable, as they're for regular road use. For track use with a harness I'll want them to be totally independent (not sharing cage mount points). This also applies to the inboard lapbelt anchor - I don't want it mounted to the seat - I want one on the tunnel. The shoulder straps require even more thought!
But hey... I'll sort all this later, closer to when the time comes. Although it kind of makes sense to do so now, I don't want to delay the build or make a quick decision I can't later change very easily. I just won't stick the light-weight carpet down in the likely areas.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Because we all luuuuuurve the pictures

Trial fit of the cage...

All bare metal with repair pieces in the process of being stitched in...

The 'almost' sunroof delete. It's welded in and a shallow bead of body sealant sunk deep into the gap. Without going to great expense, its not possible to properly delete the sunroof, so I'm not going to try and hide it. For many reasons filler or seam welding will never look right either. Once painted, another bead of body sealant will be run round the gap to give the appearance of a regular sunroof. This gives me the additional headroom needed when wearing a crash-hat.

...and the underside (still work in progress)

Masked up and in the booth

The primer is going on

Lookin' good!!!

Just a little bit excited - I think Tom has been working some crazy hours lately! Thanks buddy
Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow! That's progress alright. Lemass look to have a great setup.
How long did the awesome fuel cover take to make?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

>How long did the awesome fuel cover take to make?

I recon about 4-5hrs - tops. Its difficult to say tho as its something you dip in and out of whilst waiting for stuff to 'tack' and cure. Kitchen oven time is at a premium this time of year Bake at 30degs for 5-6 hours. Not quite the same as the smell of mince pies and roast ham!

I'll do the tranny/tunnel cover next but this won't fit in the oven so the curing time will take a lot longer.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Loving the thread.. great work. Wishing I'd kept my mint 8k mile guards red 964 I sold in 1994 Best of luck with the build, keep up the good work in the cold and the rain. Looking forward to seeing it finished...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

>How long did the awesome fuel cover take to make?

I recon about 4-5hrs - tops. Its difficult to say tho as its something you dip in and out of whilst waiting for stuff to 'tack' and cure. Kitchen oven time is at a premium this time of year Bake at 30degs for 5-6 hours. Not quite the same as the smell of mince pies and roast ham!

I'll do the tranny/tunnel cover next but this won't fit in the oven so the curing time will take a lot longer.
stellar - now you know that while no-ones saying it ... but they're ALL thinking it!

Quick Reply: 964 Refurb