Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Love this fabric.

New genuine Porsche black fabric with the 'Porsche' logo throughout for 911, 924 S, 928, 944/2 and 993 models.

Measures 2000mm x 1500mm.

Roll is sufficient for either two front seats (only seat sides, if seat has leather back) or for door panel trim, front left and right, and rear side panel trim.
http://www.aasesales.com/collections...52-256i-105974
Old 04-07-2017, 01:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Take a look at our current super-Lightweight-project. Serves as a basis, this time a Porsche 964 C2 (MJ 1990) In Linen-metallic with g50 manual.
Our objectives are unambiguous:
Colour: Porsche Signal-Yellow
Weight: Max. 960 kg without fuel
Chassis: KW-Clubsport + unibal
Rims: Oz Ultra Leggera 3-part
Engine: 3.8 l with min. 330 PS
... And the rest? Let yourself be surprised!!!
From Essen Techno Classica

Well not quite 950 KG....

Old 04-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I realize those OZ wheels were selected for their light weight but they just don't look right on the car. It needs some Speedlines.

Also, it looks like they're still running Motronic with the big AFM box and what not. A conversion to a different management with a MAF sensor and possibly a different ignition setup (like robt964's wasted spark coil setup/distributor delete) would definitely allow them to bring the weight down a bit and possibly improve performance.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

After reading every page of this epic thread (64 and counting) I figured that it would be OK if I posted photos of the Ninemeister 9m64ST. Clearly the 9m64ST is our interpretation of a "retro-styled" 911 based on the 964 platform, number 1 shown here was built to a customer commission and was recently featured in GT Porsche magazine. Since then we have been commissioned to build another three 9m64ST which are all currently on-going in the workshop, each one uniquely tailored to suit the requirements of the individual owners. Our aim is simple. To build great looking and driving early bodied 911's that will be used for its intended purpose - a real, honest driver's car that demands to be driven and enjoyed.

The ethos behind the car was a simple one. Whilst I believe I've got a good eye for design and instinctively know what looks "right" and what doesn't, as long as I live I will never be as good a designer as Butzi, so from the get-go I was absolutely clear that we had to avoid any temptation to re-interpret the classic 911 lines which Ferdinand Alexander got so right back in 1964. That said, what I think we are good at is engineering, hence we focussed our talents at how we could re-engineer the 964 chassis to achieve the perfect long hood body look without losing the delicacy and proportion of the early 1970's design. We also made the decision not to make superfluous attempts to disguise the 964 origin of the car - much in the same way that the Weissach engineers prepared and developed the original ST and subsequent RS models for their life in motorsport.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now, here's the car, let me know what you think:
Attached Images           
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
After reading every page of this epic thread (64 and counting) I figured that it would be OK if I posted photos of the Ninemeister 9m64ST. Clearly the 9m64ST is our interpretation of a "retro-styled" 911 based on the 964 platform, number 1 shown here was built to a customer commission and was recently featured in GT Porsche magazine. Since then we have been commissioned to build another three 9m64ST which are all currently on-going in the workshop, each one uniquely tailored to suit the requirements of the individual owners. Our aim is simple. To build great looking and driving early bodied 911's that will be used for its intended purpose - a real, honest driver's car that demands to be driven and enjoyed.

The ethos behind the car was a simple one. Whilst I believe I've got a good eye for design and instinctively know what looks "right" and what doesn't, as long as I live I will never be as good a designer as Butzi, so from the get-go I was absolutely clear that we had to avoid any temptation to re-interpret the classic 911 lines which Ferdinand Alexander got so right back in 1964. That said, what I think we are good at is engineering, hence we focussed our talents at how we could re-engineer the 964 chassis to achieve the perfect long hood body look without losing the delicacy and proportion of the early 1970's design. We also made the decision not to make superfluous attempts to disguise the 964 origin of the car - much in the same way that the Weissach engineers prepared and developed the original ST and subsequent RS models for their life in motorsport.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now, here's the car, let me know what you think:
great build Colin! Any pics of the interior? Would love to hear more about the suspension setup and engine. Keep up the killer work!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 AM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Colin, the worst thing about 964 backdates is when the front-bar, side skirts and rear bar extend too far down, giving a distorted/fat look to the lower edge of the car.

Don't know how you did it where others couldn't, but you entirely avoided that with this car - and it looks amazing!

Old 04-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks great, and I see your justification for leaving some of the trace elements to see. It sits just right, and as commented already, doesn't suffer from the heavy-sill look. Lovely.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 964tit
Colin, the worst thing about 964 backdates is when the front-bar, side skirts and rear bar extend too far down, giving a distorted/fat look to the lower edge of the car.

Don't know how you did it where others couldn't, but you entirely avoided that with this car - and it looks amazing!
Thank you for noticing.

How did we do it?
Around 1000 hours of head scratching followed by 400 hours of fabrication. We were happy to leave the 964 oil lines and jacking points on show as this is a "function over form" decision, however the eagle-eyed will notice that we have, actually, removed shortened and re-welded on the jacking points. All in the details!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rephlex
That looks great, and I see your justification for leaving some of the trace elements to see. It sits just right, and as commented already, doesn't suffer from the heavy-sill look. Lovely.
Many thanks.
Our goal was to that Butzi would have approved of the final results and I think we achieved that.

As for trace elements, well, it's a 964 so why attempt to blag it as an early car when it's clear to see the 964 alloy trailing arm (instead of a flat spring plate) in each rear arch?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GBX
great build Colin! Any pics of the interior? Would love to hear more about the suspension setup and engine. Keep up the killer work!
Funny thing, the interior. After months of soul searching with the customer over all the expensive retro seat options, we stepped back to reality and realised that the standard 964 part-electric Sport seats were the most comfortable seats that either of us have used as at the time I had them in my daily-driver 964. Since we had a pair free with the donor car we used them, the customer having them re-trimmed in black leather to go with the rest of the black interior. The only nod to retro was the backdated instrument finish and ubiquitous Momo Prototipo steering wheel. Full sound deadening, rear seats and parcel shell also keep the noise down and the kids/wife happy.

I'll come back to the suspension concept later.

The engine is an interesting one because the owner did not want a significant power increase but wanted it looking and driving like new. The final spec was fully rebuilt (with new pistons, cylinders, camshafts, valves, springs, followers, chains, etc.) detailed it to perfection, cat-free exhaust, 964RS LWF and remap for 300hp. Up front is a 993 G50/20 gearbox the car really flies but with manners to drive around town like a *****.
Attached Images        
Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by 964tit
it looks amazing!
That is my gripe with most of these as well.

Thank you for noticing.

How did we do it?
Around 1000 hours of head scratching followed by 400 hours of fabrication. We were happy to leave the 964 oil lines and jacking points on show as this is a "function over form" decision, however the eagle-eyed will notice that we have, actually, removed shortened and re-welded on the jacking points. All in the details!
Many thanks.
Our goal was to that Butzi would have approved of the final results and I think we achieved that.

As for trace elements, well, it's a 964 so why attempt to blag it as an early car when it's clear to see the 964 alloy trailing arm (instead of a flat spring plate) in each rear arch?
Nothing wrong with allowing the 964 to show through. After all no matter how much you change the external look of these cars and modify them down deep they are still 964's.

If the 964 was so bad I doubt so many would use them to build these creations.

I appreciate the effort and energy you have put into this. This is one of the few that I would say compliments both the 964 and the long nose cars at the same time. As 964tit said others fail by putting too much effort into covering up every aspect of the 964. The beauty of a lot of these cars were the exposed plumbing and shorter sides.

Stellar job. I like the color as well.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A few more detail photos, hope you enjoy them:
Attached Images          
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

After reading every page of this epic thread (64 and counting) I figured that it would be OK if I posted photos of the Ninemeister 9m64ST...
Colin, you can post pictures anytime, on any thread and we'll be more that happy to look, read and learn. (and dream too!)

Thank you for detailing some of the work that went into this beautiful creation. I can't wait to see the other cars in progress!

Great job on getting the exhaust tucked-in so nicely also.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

That's a beauty! I spot quite a few interior tweaks- the center console being the most significant. Is the rear of the console still the same? Or shortened too? I never liked that big plastic console. 911's have the unique option to have almost no separation between the footwells, which is pretty neat in my opinion. I never understood why Porsche started covering that space up with consoles.

Maybe it's just me, but the front arches/wheel wells don't flow quite as nicely as the rest of the outside. <- extreme ocd... Speaking of, please rotate the plastic bulb icon in the light switch ****
Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well spotted on the console. Shortening the front was largely an afterthought with the customer, so we gave it a shot without breaking the bank. Future versions will hopefully be a little bit more refined. FYI the switches were relocated to a panel under the ash tray, again in future these will be relocated to the underside of the dash where they are less visible.

The arches are faithful 2.3ST steel pressings and each corner takes 40-50 hours to weld and blend, so whilst I can respect your view, if you don't mind I'll wait outside the workshop when you tell the bodyshop team that you don't like them!
Will turn the **** center when it next comes in. Would sir prefer bulb upright when on or off, because either way at some time it has to be wrong?
;-)

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas