Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

love to see how you refine the front consol remove later ... i ditched the radio so the buttons moved there nicely but your solution is kind OF porsche enough too .. must be getting into your blood

Last edited by HiWind; 04-12-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister

The arches are faithful 2.3ST steel pressings and each corner takes 40-50 hours to weld and blend, so whilst I can respect your view, if you don't mind I'll wait outside the workshop when you tell the bodyshop team that you don't like them!
Will turn the **** center when it next comes in. Would sir prefer bulb upright when on or off, because either way at some time it has to be wrong?
;-)
I used to get that with my 74 3.0RS clone. It used all factory parts but everyone expected it to look exactly like a turbo since it was a wide body.

I like the way yo used the center console switch piece upside down and out of the way. At least they are accessible. I would assume if you move them it will be closer to the driver?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I used to get that with my 74 3.0RS clone. It used all factory parts but everyone expected it to look exactly like a turbo since it was a wide body.

I like the way yo used the center console switch piece upside down and out of the way. At least they are accessible. I would assume if you move them it will be closer to the driver?
We're planning to fit them under the clocks, replacing the rear wiper and mirror change-over switches which will no longer be required. Significant wiring harness modification will be required, but we're re-making that completely in any case when we remove all the unnecessary stuff to make it lighter.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Colin - this looks awesome! Who did you have update the gauges for you?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:08 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

The arches are faithful 2.3ST steel pressings and each corner takes 40-50 hours to weld and blend, so whilst I can respect your view, if you don't mind I'll wait outside the workshop when you tell the bodyshop team that you don't like them!
Will turn the **** center when it next comes in. Would sir prefer bulb upright when on or off, because either way at some time it has to be wrong?
;-)
Crikey! After 50 hrs on a corner they are as they were meant to be! Interesting that is the original st flare, I'm embarrassed by my ignorance. There is more space around the front tire than I'm used to seeing.

I vote for a vertical bulb when 'off', but I wouldn't dismiss the merit of vertical when on. Certainly a more pressing question than oil brand!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Great pics and info! What's that switch below the frunk release lever? Battery kill switch?

Funny thing, the interior. After months of soul searching with the customer over all the expensive retro seat options, we stepped back to reality and realised that the standard 964 part-electric Sport seats were the most comfortable seats that either of us have used as at the time I had them in my daily-driver 964. Since we had a pair free with the donor car we used them, the customer having them re-trimmed in black leather to go with the rest of the black interior.
Love to hear that! Helps to validate my decision to go with softback sport seats instead of hardbacks for my 993 from a certain someone in Germany

I'll come back to the suspension concept later.
Look forward to that!

Up front is a 993 G50/20 gearbox the car really flies but with manners to drive around town like a *****.
Why a 20 and not a 21?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GBX
Great pics and info! What's that switch below the frunk release lever? Battery kill switch?

Love to hear that! Helps to validate my decision to go with softback sport seats instead of hardbacks for my 993 from a certain someone in Germany

Look forward to that!

Why a 20 and not a 21?
The item below the hood pull is an LED/override for the alarm system, fitted there for obvious reasons.
Suspension solution coming shortly.
We fitted a 20 because that is what we could find at the time within the build budget. Now I wish I had another 10 G50/20's for what I sold that one for....
Old 04-12-2017, 05:53 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by emissary
Colin - this looks awesome! Who did you have update the gauges for you?
Can't tell you as I would have to kill you afterwards.

However there are not too many folk in the UK who can do this kind of work ......
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Now I wish I had another 10 G50/20's for what I sold that one for....
I'll happily trade ya the g50/20 from my 993 for a 21, 31 or 32 if you have one lying around
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GBX
I'll happily trade ya the g50/20 from my 993 for a 21, 31 or 32 if you have one lying around
Your generosity overwhelms me.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Your generosity underwhelms me.

FIFY
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
FIFY
Divided by a common language.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading every page of this epic thread (64 and counting) I figured that it would be OK if I posted photos of the Ninemeister 9m64ST. Clearly the 9m64ST is our interpretation of a "retro-styled" 911 based on the 964 platform, number 1 shown here was built to a customer commission and was recently featured in GT Porsche magazine. Since then we have been commissioned to build another three 9m64ST which are all currently on-going in the workshop, each one uniquely tailored to suit the requirements of the individual owners. Our aim is simple. To build great looking and driving early bodied 911's that will be used for its intended purpose - a real, honest driver's car that demands to be driven and enjoyed.

The ethos behind the car was a simple one. Whilst I believe I've got a good eye for design and instinctively know what looks "right" and what doesn't, as long as I live I will never be as good a designer as Butzi, so from the get-go I was absolutely clear that we had to avoid any temptation to re-interpret the classic 911 lines which Ferdinand Alexander got so right back in 1964. That said, what I think we are good at is engineering, hence we focussed our talents at how we could re-engineer the 964 chassis to achieve the perfect long hood body look without losing the delicacy and proportion of the early 1970's design. We also made the decision not to make superfluous attempts to disguise the 964 origin of the car - much in the same way that the Weissach engineers prepared and developed the original ST and subsequent RS models for their life in motorsport.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now, here's the car, let me know what you think:
Hello Colin
I was not following the forum for a while, today I was looking around and stubble into this thread and what a big surprise.
The more I look at the pictures of the 9m64ST the more I love the car.
I'm really looking forward the #2 car photos and special #3 car is going to be an epic dream car!!
Thank you
Johnny
Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't tell you as I would have to kill you afterwards.

However there are not too many folk in the UK who can do this kind of work ......
Ha ha, I understand that. Can you at least confirm for me that it's relatively expensive so that I don't have to feel bad for not including this in my current 964 build?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by emissary
Ha ha, I understand that. Can you at least confirm for me that it's relatively expensive so that I don't have to feel bad for not including this in my current 964 build?
It's currently a subsidised £500 option with the 9m64ST build.

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas