Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK 964 Track Day Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geezzz chill out .. i never said it was right or wrong. if you re-read, i was asking a question.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
geezzz chill out .. i never said it was right or wrong. if you re-read, i was asking a question.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a sensible plan .. i wonder what the difference in lap times would be between maintaining revs at:
option A - 3000 - 5500rpm, or
option B - 4500 - 6800rpm

it could be quite minimal?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
Grant,

Did you actually hit the barrier? (hoping not, but it sounded like it)

Steve brought the weather with him again I see
There's a tyre wall there that compressed very nicely to absorb the low speed impact. Quite surreal to watch but I could see straight away that there would be no major damage. All goes to show that it's true that 911s often go into the scenery backwards.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sml
at 47 seconds, why did you change gear at 5000rpm?

actually your revs looked very low for the full video? why dont you change gears at the redline?

what happened with your downchanges during braking? looked like you were always a gear too high & you were missing a lot of engine braking benefits from those big rear tyres.
The point of the video was only to be a light hearted look at Grant's misdemeanor but you ask some valid questions.

So to answer them;

When I'm on a straight that would lead to me reaching the limiter before the braking zone, I prefer to short shift out of mechanical sympathy. Also, I often choose a higher gear to limit the torque going through the rear wheels so that the car remains settled.

Not shifting down early enough in the braking zone is indeed a fault I've never managed to cure. I should work on that more but I'm hampered by my H&T being pretty average at best.

Some of the later videos of the day show different gear choices but the lap times are pretty much the same. I'll post some more up when I get the chance.

I don't have a racer's mentality (or skills) so trying a bit harder to go round a few seconds quicker is not important to me. For me, trackdays are a way of enjoying the performance of the car with like minded friends and always with aim of bringing passengers, myself and the car back safely.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Looks like I missed a good day at Oulton and well done with the weather !
Next up - Donington with new brake pads .....
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Here's one of me following Cheeksyboy round for a couple of laps. I've put the names of Oulton's corners/straights on for the second lap for reference.

Sorry about the wonky camera!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
For me, trackdays are a way of enjoying the performance of the car with like minded friends and always with aim of bringing passengers, myself and the car back safely.
+1

Here's one of me following Cheeksyboy round for a couple of laps.
Sorry about the wonky camera!
Great stuff.....loved every second of that...what a great day with the track mostly to ourselves!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Looks like a great track guys. I will definitely add this to the trackdays for next year.

Grant - its nice to know its not just me that spins his car on track ............ glad no serious damage though!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Looks like a great track guys. I will definitely add this to the trackdays for next year.

Grant - its nice to know its not just me that spins his car on track ............ glad no serious damage though!!!
Thanks BU. There's no excuse for spinning on a track day, shouldn't really be trying that hard....I prefer the excuse that it was still damp on that corner, blah, blah, blah!!!!

I only ever seem to spin when I've just passed Boxsey...that must mean something!?

Anyhow, Boxsey got brave and jumped in my pax seat....

Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So to answer them;
Great account of the day - sounds like an awesome track!

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
I will definitely add this to the trackdays for next year.
+964

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Thanks BU. There's no excuse for spinning on a track day, shouldn't really be trying that hard....I prefer the excuse that it was still damp on that corner, blah, blah, blah!!!!
I held my breath and gasped - Glad to hear the Hornet didn't hurt it's 'stinger' in that rear ended!

So the decibel devil works! Your exhaust sounds amazing in the video, mic to the back?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
So the decibel devil works! Your exhaust sounds amazing in the video, mic to the back?
DD seems to do what it says on the tin, though I did note, when I removed it, that a fair amount of the gauze wadding that was packed in it had been burnt away by my exhaust gases. Not sure how much it'd drop db for the next outing!? But for 70'odd quid it's worth having in the tool kit if you think/know you car is on or near the db limit for a given track. It certainly made the difference between going out and not!

Yeah, mic is taped to rear reflector (you can see it in the onboard video from Boxsey's car....so no that's not accident damage!).
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

So to answer them;
thanks for the thoughts .. i had always just assumed that race track = redline gear changes, but there are some good points there.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sml
thanks for the thoughts .. i had always just assumed that race track = redline gear changes, but there are some good points there.

The video of Cheeksyboy driving his car above (post #130) shows how different our cars and the track can be driven. Although, we can't see the revcounter, it's obvious from the engine note that he uses different gears for some corners and more of the range than me. He also downshifts a lot earlier in the braking zone (I really must work on this!). Combine this with a lot more experience, a lot more confidence, a little more power and not to mention more skill to adjust the car when it gets out of shape and the result is that one of those laps is 5 seconds quicker than anything I have on my own videos. And he did some quicker ones than that later in the day.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you guys had fun - well jealous!

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
and from in car.
Phew - luck escape!

Remember the youtube double for comparing laps, oh and good for dual views:

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...ame=meahwahwah

Quick Reply: UK 964 Track Day Club