Sponsored by:

UK 964 Track Day Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Day out in a Caterham - Rockingham Sunday 18th November 2012

On Sunday I left the 964 parked up, retired from trackdays until next year and had my first go in hired Caterham R300. So thought I would pass on my thoughts on the experience.

I'm sure most will know of Caterhams but for those that don't the basic specs are; rear wheel drive, 500 kg, full caged open cockpit, 6 speed box and a 2.0L Duratec 180 bhp engine. No power steering, no servo assistance for the brakes and no electronic aids.

It was soon apparent that this thing accelerated like a scalded cat on speed and stopped like you'd just been punched in the face by Mike Tyson in his prime. Point it at an apex and it goes there just like your best dog friend runs after a stick you've thrown for him.

It took a while to warm to the car because it's so different to my 964. The gearbox is very notchy in comparison and the clutch pedal is very light. Steering input is very direct. A few degrees either way and you're already turning a lot. Add in a bit of throttle at the same time and you're soon oversteering. Add some correction to the steering while still on the gas and you can have the front wheels pointing one way and the rear wheels driving you in another. It's simply very playful as long as you keep it all progressive.

What it doesn't like is trying to turn while on the brakes or big lifts. Either of those things soon get it out of shape. Luckily I never managed to get it too out of shape so that I couldn't recover it. So I soon learned to get the brakes and tyres warmed up for a lap (they take a while to warm as there's no much weight to help the process) and then to really use them hard. Braking points were possibly half way between my normal 964 braking and turn in points. With speed scrubbed off I could turn in hard and it would just go where I aimed for.

All in all, it was an absolute hoot to drive and once I gelled it ran rings around most other cars on the trackday. Especially on Rockingham's tight and twisty in field section Would I buy one? No because they're too much hassle to take to and from tracks (a trailer would be essential IMO). Would I hire one again? Too right I will....I quite enjoy being a hooligan once in a while and it's the perfect car to be a hooligan in.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stuff Steve - thanks for sharing.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Sten
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha - now you know why I own a Westfield Megablade (which for those who don't know is a Caterham clone with a 900cc 130bhp Honda Fireblade engine). Weight is 480kg, still has the bike gearbox fitted so clutch used off the line then it's like a sequential box. Road legal too, if you're mad enough..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Good write up Steve , sounds like it is very different technique to a 964 on the circuit. Assume the ones we occasionally overtake have less power than your one
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by oldtimer
Good write up Steve , sounds like it is very different technique to a 964 on the circuit. Assume the ones we occasionally overtake have less power than your one
I would say they are a step up from a go-kart and a step down from a single seater. I'll tell you all about it when we have our next pint John.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

I quite like the idea of doing a hill climb next year. Although I know nothing about them.

Any insight Steve?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I quite like the idea of doing a hill climb next year. Although I know nothing about them.

Any insight Steve?
Frank,

I know this question was aiumed at Steve but I'll offer some thoughts if thats ok

There is a hillclimb school at Prescott whicch is highly thought of

http://www.bugatti.co.uk/driversscho...lcalendar.aspx

However, hillclimb/sprint is a good starting point for driving with a more competetive edge

No need for an ARDS test for a Hillclimb licence, just a medical I believe

Relative;ly cheap entry fees and ytou can chose your events

I would really like to do the Crystal Palace sprint next year. Its a lovely atmsophere in great surroundings with a huge variety of cars. No 911s this year though which needs sorting!!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by freedman
There is a hillclimb school at Prescott whicch is highly thought of

http://www.bugatti.co.uk/driversscho...lcalendar.aspx

However, hillclimb/sprint is a good starting point for driving with a more competetive edge

No need for an ARDS test for a Hillclimb licence, just a medical I believe

Relatively cheap entry fees and you can chose your events

I would really like to do the Crystal Palace sprint next year. Its a lovely atmsophere in great surroundings with a huge variety of cars. No 911s this year though which needs sorting!!
Sounds great Gary. If someone leads the way I'll follow suit. Would be good to get a little group up for hill climbing - should it be of interest. Here's a good page: http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/allabout.asp
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I'm glad Gary chipped in because I'm not that well read on sprint/hillclimbs. I've been along to watch some and they are a great day out. There is always something going on and lots of different classes and cars to watch. The atmosphere between the competitors is super friendly and it's not too expensive to take part. You can take part in a production class with minimum safety modifications. These two links to the PCGB speed championship will give you a lot of info:

http://www.porscheclubmotorsport.co....d_championship

http://www.porscheclubmotorsport.co....09_01_2012.pdf

However, there are a few things that put me off:

1. Without a full roll cage and other safety equipment would I dare to push the car and be competitive?
2. Without a trailer to take me home would I risk driving the car at the speeds required to be competitive?
3. You only get two practice runs and two timed runs which means you barely spend more than 4 minutes on the track.
4. Slipping the clutch and spinning the wheels on the way to the start line to get some heat in the tyres made be wince!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Did a few hillclimbs with the Westy club not long after I'd built the car (i.e. long time ago)!

Atmosphere is terrific, just as friendly and helpful as boxsey says.

However, if you want to be even remotely competitive it demands perfection right from the moment you leave the start line to the finish line, as every millisecond counts far more than on track (where you get another lap/chance to improve).

The cheapness of entry appealled (especially back then) and I'd thoroughly recommend giving it a go if you're wanting to add a competitive challenge to your driving experience.

Harewood was my fave.

I prefer tracks though.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

I have a massive soft spot for caterhams/ westies/ MK indys after a trackday in one....defo following in grants footsteps and getting both when money permits...ever!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

We will have another option for trackdays next year because a new company has been set up. They're called Porsche on Track. Here's the link to their new website:

http://porsche-on-track.com/

It's been set up by the guys that have been running the RS day at Oulton Park for the last ten years. Obviously it's aimed at Porsche owners that want to track their cars with like minded folk. There's already a provisional calendar of events and the first one, the annual RS day at Oulton is already open for booking (Friday 8 March 2013). For a small annual membership fee, you get priority booking and a discounted rate for each event i.e. you effectively get your membership fee back when booking at least one event.

I'm sure I'll be doing a few.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

sounds very cool.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

So just joined as a member and booked on the RS day. Make a long weekend of it me thinks. The member discount basically paid for the yearly membership. I see they plan to do Bedford in June so I will probably do that as well.

Need to get a go pro now
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Keep a passenger seat free because I'll come along to show you the way round.

BTW it's not wise to have a spin at Oulton

Quick Reply: UK 964 Track Day Club