Sponsored by:

UK 964 Track Day Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Masher
Snetterton is fantastic in the dry and par for the course in the wet... but... I find it really greasy in that intermediate period. The water somehow sits on the surface.
That said, I've done 7 or 8 track days now and two have been at Snetterton and I'm hooked. Great mix of speed and twist on the 300 circuit - is this what you're planning to do?

Bear in mind it's flat circuit so no exciting undulations but the run off appears decent and the bomb hole is a hoot.

If it turns wet careful on turn 1... It's no fun spinning like a top at 70mph, believe me!

Go for it!
Thanks Masher. That is useful info. It is, indeed, the 300 circuit. Fingers crossed it is dry (yeah, right!) because I am signed up for 17 March. I just need the standard rear silencer put back on in place of my g-pipe now, as I don't fancy failing a noise test again.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Masher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyB
Thanks Masher. That is useful info. It is, indeed, the 300 circuit. Fingers crossed it is dry (yeah, right!) because I am signed up for 17 March. I just need the standard rear silencer put back on in place of my g-pipe now, as I don't fancy failing a noise test again.
I think it's 105db at Snetterton - a bit more than Bedford. I'm at 97-98 with completely standard engine and exhaust as a guide. You'll have great fun!

Booked some tuition? Even the 20min slots are very useful to give you some lines and reassure you the corners can be taken faster than you think. For interest, I was given some gear selections for corners some of which are natural and others might not seem quite so obvious:
Riches 4th
Montreal 2nd for me the instructor thought 3rd at a push
Palmer 3rd
Agostini I was doing this in 2nd and the instructor was adamant it should be 3rd!
Then 3rd all the way through to Bentley straight which is 5th just touching 120mph
Brundle in 4th with dab of brakes into 3rd for Nelson (personally this dab of brake concerned me that the rear would pendulum out but it doesn't)
Continue in 3rd until just before Coram which is 4th and approx 90mph entry - took me half a day before I had the nerve to really push into that one.
Murrays has about 20 lines into it so 2nd or 3rd depending upon whether you're driving round it or cutting it off (you'll see what I mean)
The other advice I got (probably only pertinent to me but for interest...) was to brake deeper into the apex and wind the steering lock off earlier to smooth the exit and increase exit speed.
Bear in mind I'm fairly new to track days and have tossed it down the road at Riches but this kind of helped me first time round Snetterton so I pass it on for interest.
Have fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Masher
Instructor

And a quick bit of video to whet the appetite...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
Nice and smooth there mate. You have a similar trait/fault to me, of sometimes being a bit late on the downshift before a corner. Something I keep telling myself I need to work on.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Masher
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
^^^
Nice and smooth there mate. You have a similar trait/fault to me, of sometimes being a bit late on the downshift before a corner. Something I keep telling myself I need to work on.
I've plenty to work on, I promise you. Looking at the company for Spa I nearly went for the white square with red 'L' decals for the car!

Track days have been something of a revalation to me and has concentrated my mind (and wallet) like no hobby before. Wish I'd discovered it years ago.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Time for some practice before Spa

Silverstone GP circuit on mothers day 10th in the 993 ( cant have it feeling left out )

911UK have a mini Sunday service at the same time with a brunch ,over 60 cars with Total911 covering for their 100th Edition

8 of us on track

Pop along if you want
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clinchy993
Time for some practice before Spa

Silverstone GP circuit on mothers day 10th in the 993 ( cant have it feeling left out )

911UK have a mini Sunday service at the same time with a brunch ,over 60 cars with Total911 covering for their 100th Edition

8 of us on track

Pop along if you want
By sheer coincidence I'll be at Silverstone on Sunday, on a tour of the Porsche Centre with Squealey!

I'll defo be in the 964 now!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 AM
PeterS911
Advanced

Oulton tomorrow, weather says grey cloud, so hopefully dry.

My C2 rebuild isnt finished so hope to be using a friends C2 that he has recently bought from RPM, with roll cage, KW V3s, LWF etc. Weve been doing some noise tests and its a bit loud. Weve bought a decibel devil that drops about 4 dB but it still showing 108 or so on my meter. Hopefully wecan pack it with wire wool to get it down to 105.

If not, Im also going up in my C4, so at least we will get some track time.

I also booked a garage, feel free to drop in. I dont post much on here, mainly 911UK.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll have the tea on in our garage too. See you there Peter.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Masher, thanks very much. I will have to memorise your instructions although just staying on the track and out of everyone's way will be my initial focus!

Peter, is your mate's car the black one that Greg, the salesman, was selling? If so, I was there they day he bought it and was chatting through its merits and "areas for improvement". I do remember it being properly loud (and mine isn't quiet!)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
PeterS911
Advanced

No, it's red. He has had it a couple of months now. It sounds gorgeous, but I'm not sure the man with the meter has the same ear for music! Its a bit daft, as its been set up for trackdays, but has an exhaust that's too loud. What's the point of that???
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS911
No, it's red. He has had it a couple of months now. It sounds gorgeous, but I'm not sure the man with the meter has the same ear for music! Its a bit daft, as its been set up for trackdays, but has an exhaust that's too loud. What's the point of that???
I know the PO who had it for a matter of months, the owner before that was a Rennlister. Nice car.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Its a bit daft, as its been set up for trackdays, but has an exhaust that's too loud. What's the point of that???
Well, there was a time when noise wasn't an issue. But times they are a changin'

Just seen the story about one of my local tracks, Mallory, probably having to drop its level from 98db to 95db.....which'd rule out even my new 'quiet' exhaust!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's RS day at Oulton.

I've a personal engagement in the morning, so should be there for lunch and afternoon fun!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM
PeterS911
Advanced

Any idea of a username.

It would be nice to get in touch.

Cheeksyboy, I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing your exhaust. Dont worry about Mallory Park, it's not much more than a GoKart track!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Any idea of a username.

It would be nice to get in touch.
I can't help you with the Rennlister, I'm sure one of the others can though. His avatar was the car hoofing it up Eau Rouge to Raiddilon.

As for my friend, he's not on here, but sold the car when he realised he had too many knocking about!

Quick Reply: UK 964 Track Day Club