Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another engine drop thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Yet another engine drop thread (tiptronic)

I bought a 1991 C2 Tiptronic earlier this year and had a reputable local shop in Seattle take a look at the car as a PPI, paid over $300, and well they missed the tons of oil leaks and major respray that occurred one one section of the car. I am a little pissed about that still. The leak down and compression numbers checked out fine so all this engine needs is a major tune-up and reseal.

This weekend after finally removing the lower engine cover I found what I expected to see based upon the puddle of oil rapidly accumulating under the car. So I've decided its time to really earn my Porsche 911 mechanics badge of honor and drop the engine.

I started with purchasing this wrench set from Pelican for the oil lines and am picking up the Sears ATV jack today. I have a Max Jax lift so this should be easy relative to all the guys doing this with jack stands and having to remove the rear bumper.

Pelican PEL-TOL-P242 (picture attached)
Sears Craftsman Professional ATV Jack (picture attached)

I will update the thread as I make progress. I am using Adrian's book as my guide as well as some previous posts I have filed away for reference. Plan is to go from the top down and change out all gaskets where typical oil leaks occur. Oil lines I may have to do with the car back in the engine if I need to drop the heat exchangers. I will clean things up, perhaps due refurbish the injectors, and other "while you are in there bits". Oh boy!
Attached Images   

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-08-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I should add i will be making a 2' x 2' foot platform out of wood with some 2x2 underneath to rest on the ATV jack in order to provide a uniform landing pad for the engine. Someone else mentioned to cut a slot in the middle for the ridge where the case comes together.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than the atv jack did you consider one of those lift carts? Much more stable. You could raise it up to the engine then raise the car with the max jax.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

You can use a wood chisel to cut the grove.

Also, depending on how much time you want to spend on building a cradle, attach plywood extending from the board on each side for the heat exchangers to rest on. This makes the ride down on the jack more stable. Sorry, I don't have a pic. I borrowed the cradle from a friend.

I believe there is a thread on the 993 forum which details the cradle build.

Good luck!

I found a picture (cradle under engine on table). This is a picture of a partial drop with the use of a table like Darth mentioned. You may have an issue getting the the max jax high enough to get a table under the engine.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

^nice wrench. harmonic balancer bolt, what a pain.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Darth, essentially I am making a lift table with the ATV jack and then with the max jax I have an extreme amount of flexibility. I am making a 24" x 24" plywood base for the ATV, two pieces glued together and then will cut out a center notch. Sears was local and nearby otherwise a lift table may have offered better overall height relative to the ATV jack.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a plan. Just thought I'd mention the cart. I seen one in a PP thread after I bought my ATV jack and thought it would have been better. It raises and lowers hydraulicly and goes waist height so you don't have to bend over to work on the engine and you can roll it out of the way. It's probably more expensive though.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Merle
Racer

Are you sure you need to pull the engine to fix the leaks?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Actually I'm not sure. I think its possible only with a partial drop. Everything will be much easier with the engine out. Plus this is something I've always wanted to tackle on this car. I have another 964 that I will probably do this to just to fix the leaks on there as well as pretty up the engine compartment to a show car level. The tiptronic should be my daily so I want that engine to be mechanically sound and relatively clean.

Although my fear is something won't work right after I put the engine back in.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I should add i will be making a 2' x 2' foot platform out of wood with some 2x2 underneath to rest on the ATV jack in order to provide a uniform landing pad for the engine. Someone else mentioned to cut a slot in the middle for the ridge where the case comes together.
Ricardo - I made a 2'x2' platform with thick plywood. I then screwed 2x4's to the bottom to frame the base of the ATV jack, so that the platform cannot shift on on the jack. I didn't cut any slots and its worked fine. The bottom of the case and the bottom of the heat exchangers are all in the same plane.

If you need a photo of it, let me know.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

thanks for the tip Rob, I will be making that frame for my 2'x2' platform after work today. No need to cut the slot then.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember when changing the suspension was an team endeavor?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ricardo,

I will be watching this thread with great interest as I'm planning to drop the engine this fall to address the RMS leak and other leaks I can find. It is partly due to the leak and partly to earn my stripes as a 964 owner and track driver.

Please take and post pictures and tips...

-Skip
Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Hawk, suspension change seems so simple now!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Ricardo - Are you dropping the engine in your C2 or C4? If you are doing the C4, then you need to "manufacture" the drive shaft support piece described in Adrian's book.

Quick Reply: Yet another engine drop thread