Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Clicking' engine sound - trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoke to Craig again... it's bad news. The damage has caused bits of debris.

He's put back together the rockers and the noise is gone, but debris would have got in. The only way to see what damage that may have done would be to take apart the top end and dig further and further down...

At this stage it would mean a top end rebuild at the very least. The bottom end has done 117,000 miles.

I'm still debating what to do and whilst I need to have another conversation with Craig to make sure I fully understand the aforementioned - it seems a full rebuild is the way forward in this case. I couldn't face a bottom end failure after doing a top end, which is more likely considering the milage, and the fact I track the car. I had the conversation with Em and I have the white flag from her.

To say I prepared for the worst would be true, but still I'm seriously down about the whole thing.

Guidance would be appreciated... I may sell.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
He's put back together the rockers and the noise is gone, but debris would have got in. The only way to see what damage that may have done would be to take apart the top end and dig further and further down...
So the adjusting nut came loose and was launched around the valve train? Do you have photos of the debris or the score marks on the camshaft housing?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S

I'm confused as to why it's been put back together and the noise is gone. That suggests that the engine has been run and there are no untoward noises? Surely if they were certain that there was a problem and that debris has got in, they would have stopped there and then and told you that it needs a tear down.

If you have it stripped down 'in case' there is a problem and they find nothing I think you're going be a little upset about the expense you've gone to. So, if there are now no worrying noises and the engine runs fine, I would run it for a bit, see how it goes and then give it an oil and filter change and check for debris in the oil.

Hopefully it will all go well and you can get the rebuild done at a more convenient time. If you start to hear, feel problems with the engine then you can reconsider your options.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The damage has caused bits of debris.

He's put back together the rockers and the noise is gone, but debris would have got in.
Has debris been found then? And if it has why on earth would the car be put back together and run? I would have thought that more running may cause more damage and hence more expense.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

I assume a leak down test may give more of an indication?

Originally Posted by boxsey911

So, if there are now no worrying noises and the engine runs fine, I would run it for a bit, see how it goes and then give it an oil and filter change and check for debris in the oil.

Hopefully it will all go well and you can get the rebuild done at a more convenient time. If you start to hear, feel problems with the engine then you can reconsider your options.
Agreed and this is what Craig is suggesting. If however something goes wrong, could result is big damage. More than what has already been done. He says there's just no way of knowing the extent of the damage until you start stripping or until it goes wrong. I don't know - is this a risk worth taking?

Originally Posted by r15suk
Has debris been found then? And if it has why on earth would the car be put back together and run? I would have thought that more running may cause more damage and hence more expense.
From my understanding it's been put back together to gauge how far the damage has gone. Agreed the worst case would be to create more damage. Which is why continuing to strip down for investigation would make sense.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank,

I'm confused, you spoke to Peter again and the damage has caused debris?

What damage?

You havent said previosly there was any confirmed damage or what was damaged, or have I missed something?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any junk that got in would be in the oil .
The oil gets passed through the oil filter .
The oil filter traps the junk .

If the motor is running fine , send in an oil sample to see what is in the oil .
Pull open the filter and see what it has caught .

If the oil test comes back with no problems ,
if the oil filter shows no problems ,
I'd run the motor .
Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

It sounds like they've just taken the cam covers off, noted a problem, rectified what's visibly wrong and having corrected that reassembled....run the engine and noted the existing noise has gone....

...and I must say that I too am confused about the logic of running an engine where there's some evidence of debris ...even if the damage is already done. I suppose the logic is that if damage is already done, then at idle there's not a lot more damage that can be done with the engine in a steady state and with little if no loading.

Frank, DO NOT CONSIDER SELLING....you would only kick yourself later.

Or one of us would

If it were me I'd get a fixed price for a strip down and rebuild only....to diagnose what's the prob and what needs replacing...and yes that would be for top and bottom.

Then you can consider what you do next with a clear idea of what it will cost to get the car either running or with pertinent upgrades.

Just my 2p worth!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd be interested to hear what exactly the damage was and what might have caused it.

I swear my car has had a similar tick since I got it 5k miles ago. The PPI showed consistent compression and leakdown #s.

I've just recently adjusted the valves and the tick is still there. I didn't really investigate the valve train for damage when I had it open because I didn't suspect a problem and w/o knowing specifically what to look for, I probably don't have the expertise to identify anything just by looking at it.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Thanks for all the feedback gents.

As said, this is the headlines I took away from the conversation and my amateur understanding of them. A thorough conversation next week will give more details.

Originally Posted by freedman
Frank,

I'm confused, you spoke to Peter again and the damage has caused debris?

What damage?

You havent said previosly there was any confirmed damage or what was damaged, or have I missed something?
The damage is to the rockers - I assume the debris comes from them.

Originally Posted by Indycam
Any junk that got in would be in the oil .
The oil gets passed through the oil filter .
The oil filter traps the junk .

If the motor is running fine , send in an oil sample to see what is in the oil .
Pull open the filter and see what it has caught .

If the oil test comes back with no problems ,
if the oil filter shows no problems ,
I'd run the motor .
It seems this is the next logical step in evaluating.

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
It sounds like they've just taken the cam covers off, noted a problem, rectified what's visibly wrong and having corrected that reassembled....run the engine and noted the existing noise has gone....
Yes that's what has been done so far.

...and I must say that I too am confused about the logic of running an engine where there's some evidence of debris ...
The logic was to let me know the damage they could immediately see, rectify it, see if it made the difference and then call me to see what steps I wanted to take next.

If it were me I'd get a fixed price for a strip down and rebuild only....to diagnose what's the prob and what needs replacing...and yes that would be for top and bottom.

Then you can consider what you do next with a clear idea of what it will cost to get the car either running or with pertinent upgrades.
To me it seems the next logical step after assessing a leak down test and condition of the oil and filter. It's just once I've done that - then I'm fully committed to putting it back together again. I decision I haven't made yet.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vandit
I'd be interested to hear what exactly the damage was and what might have caused it.
That's the BIG question, what could have caused it... the answer may be deep inside?????????????
Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Oil change and run it. If you're going to do full rebuild now 'just in case' then the cost differential in repairing further damage can't be much. As others have said, oil and filter change should deal with the worst if not all debris. Any damage now is already done. Seems a no brainer...?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by StanUK951
Oil change and run it. If you're going to do full rebuild now 'just in case' then the cost differential in repairing further damage can't be much. As others have said, oil and filter change should deal with the worst if not all debris. Any damage now is already done. Seems a no brainer...?
A new crank shaft is serious ££££ - although can that be affected by this?

PS> Someone call The Good Doctor!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

The logic was to let me know the damage they could immediately see, rectify it, see if it made the difference and then call me to see what steps I wanted to take next.

To me it seems the next logical step after assessing a leak down test and condition of the oil and filter. It's just once I've done that - then I'm fully committed to putting it back together again. I decision I haven't made yet.
Well that makes sense.....I'd have thought they must be able to assess how much material has been removed from the rocker, and any other components, and determine whether these would have most likely been trapped by the filter (a visual inspection of that would surely give a pretty good answer I'd have thought.....

It does sound, from what you've described so far, that you may have 'got away with it' and for the sake of a couple of filter and oil changes after a few gentle/leisurely drives you'll know more clearly whether you truly have.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the BIG question, what could have caused it... the answer may be deep inside?????????????
Frank,

I'm not an expert by any means

But if the rockers are damaged in some way, it's likley to be caused by fatigue, not by something else deeper in the engine surely

In what way are they damaged?

I'm with the majority here, change the oil and filter, use it and ponder the next step

What is GT Ones opinion on the best course?

Quick Reply: 'Clicking' engine sound - trouble.