Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow.... That is seriously sneeky....

I had a feeling you had something in mind... There was way too much knowledge demonstrated by you in the other Super Charging threads...

Cannot wait to see the results.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant, can't wait to see more.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 AM
geordie
Pro

Yee haa!

Really looking forward to future installments -
Old 04-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

One man's loss is our gain....seriously good work there Marc, and great writeup....I'll be interested to see what rwhp you get from the supercharger kit......

I take it you would recommend the TPC kit, quality, support and 'cost per bang' basis!?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

That is awesome Marc!
A lighted, track-spec, C4...now with a supercharger....WOW, this takes things to a whole new level!
Your beast is going to ROCKET out of turns.
Long live the 964!
where's Ilko???

(also thanks for the interior shots above, helpful for some carpet work I need to do on my car...)
Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone - I am pretty excited about this project.

I pulled the alternator and sent the housing out for powder coating (boring flat black). The rear plastic cap on the back of the housing was cracked so I ordered a new one.

Inspecting the fan, I saw some splitting of the blades so I ordered a new one of the$e too. I also got a new alternator from NAPA. I swapped in a new voltage regulator and changed the fan bearing too. The rear little plastic fan thing on the back was fine so I cleaned it up and bolted it on using Loctite Blue.

I debated about powder coating the fan blade too, but after seeing the care that Porsche put into making sure it was properly balanced with small holes drilled in the back, I decided against.

Then I installed the TPC pulley. I read in another sc thread someone else experienced slippage as the pulley is just compression fit to the fan by the 24 mm nut. So instead I drilled three holes through the pulley and put in longer 12.9 cap head screws into the threaded holes in the fan bearing (used to secure the stock shims) so the fan and pulley are locked together. I figured just putting in one bolt might unbalance the assembly. I also torqued the front 24 mm nut to 10 ft-lbs and used Loctite Blue again.

Now I am just waiting to get the housing back from the powder coaters so I can re-install it all.

Marc

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
(also thanks for the interior shots above, helpful for some carpet work I need to do on my car...)
Sorry about the crappy photos - I can post more if you need.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work Marc!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice thread, pics, work and the supercharger is the cherry on top... I'm planning something similar 'after the settling in the new house' is done... mine is a tip and i intend to keep it.. working on the plan just as yet, found solutions for the tip and so on..
good luck with the install... so please keep the details coming..

subscribed
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay so I managed to get the DAS roll bar back in and wired up the GoPro Hero 2 HD camera.

I also finished the wiring for the TraqMate and GoPro under the passenger seat.

I installed my CHT gauge (still has the plastic on the screen to protect against scratches) and the DashDaq for the Zeitronix engine monitor attaches to the other centre console bracket. That other mess of wires at the passenger's feet are all to go the the Zeitronix while the orange/black plug that is flopped in front of the accelerator pedal is for my CoolShirt (tank mounts on the passenger floorboard).

Marc
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 AM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey mark just only one word wow! curious though are you going to have to switch your rear spoiler to accomodate the intercooler that you got with the kit?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by napaul
hey mark just only one word wow! curious though are you going to have to switch your rear spoiler to accomodate the intercooler that you got with the kit?
Thanks.

No, I can keep the stock spoiler but plan to put a Getty GT1 spoiler on to feed more cold air to the intake.

Marc
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I got my alternator housing back from the powder coater's. It sure is purdy.

I also managed to get the alternator back in the car. Little tip - the alternator is a compression fit in the housing and the 4 bolts on the back draw the alternator in and secure it. Put a couple of nuts on the alternator and tighten them up evenly to pull the alternator in the housing straight before installing the alternator in the car.

Instead I did not do this and put the alternator in and tightened the nuts up securing the rear plastic cap but I did not tighten them evenly so the alternator went in slightly crooked and then contacted the fan housing. I had to pull it all out, straighten the fan in the housing and re-install.

Marc
Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, I got my crank pulley off.

To get there the rear bumper, heat shield, and bumper bar had to come off. Then the rear engine tin and engine carrier were removed.

Once at the crank, I debated about using an impact wrench ("rattle gun") but read lots of threads about twisting the crank and damaged #8 bearings from lateral load -- yeah, I am not sure what it means either but it sounds bad. In addition, I read that if the crank is turned ccw then the timing chains can slip. Finally, it seems the pin on the back of the crank pulley can be broken and, since Pelican lists a new harmonic balancer/pulley (only sold as a package) at $1400 ....

I broke down and ordered the proper crank wrench and puller from Vertex. Holy cr*p it is a big hunk of steel but, with this bad boy, I got the crank off in 5 minutes with minimal effort.

(wrench next to a standard 1/2 socket wrench)

(pulley puller)

Once it was off, I took the harmonic balancer/pulley apart and got ready to assemble the new TPC pulley using the centre hub (the rest is not used). Sadly, M6 x 10 flare cap head 12.9 bolts aren't sold at Home Depot so I ordered some from the local Fastenal dealer. In addition, I have a new crank bolt (M14 x 40, 12.9) on order.

(here is that little pin that can break off)

As soon as the bolts come in, I can get the new pulley assembled and the back end reassembled.

Marc
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Another update.....

Well, while I had my a/c bracket off waiting for bolts to re-assembled, I decided to chop a little off the top since my a/c compressor is gone and not going back on.

The chop saw made short work of the aluminum but I trimmed it so the upper right bolt would still be functional - not as pretty as cutting off lower than this with a flat top but I figured the extra bolt holding the front of the engine was there for a reason.

....and yes, it was good for 2 lbs.

In addition, a few minutes with the bench grinder I trimmed the tabs around where the pulley sits so the a/c bracket can be removed in the future without removing the crank pulley. Who knows - might come in handy.

Marc
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Marc,

Make some additional cuts as in the pics below and it will clean up the piece nicely...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!