Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Wow!!! What did you take out to make up for the 100lbs (yes it is at least 100lbs for mine since I had to ship mine) gained from the SC?
Yes, it was 91 lbs added for my SC and my balance sheet showed a net loss of 96 lbs (after removal of stuff and addition of other stuff) so I am off by about 5 lbs in my figures - must have been the oily crap I scraped off of the underside!

I can still lose a few pounds yet - I have a CF bumper bar and a CF hood to install, change the SPG seats for CF Recaro SPA seats, and change the steel seat brackets for aluminum ones.....but that is all for next winter.

Here are my spreadsheets:

Marc
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Driving impressions

I have yet to put it on the track (Miller on Friday....) but, driving it around town, holy cr*p the acceleration is freakin' amazing - pins you back in your seat. First gear is pretty much useless as you are through it so fast!

The water cooler seems to work very well - at 75 F ambient, the water temp stayed about 83 F in stop and go traffic with pre-IC air temps about 96 F and post-IC air temps 81 F (the water temp is measured after cooling the air so the water temp is usually higher than the post-IC air temp). I have a new wing on order to get more cold air into the rear too.

EGT's seemed to only get to about 700 F and the CHT's only got to 250 F but I was just cruising around town.

The a/f's seem to hover around 14.1 at idle but I have not logged them yet as the rpm signal does not work (see below).

I still have a couple of things to sort - it does not idle when cold well (stalls) but runs fine once warmed for 10 minutes - I'll check for a vac leak and do an idle adaption (I have a Hammer), and the rpm signal line to the engine monitor does not work so I'll have to check the wiring. The belt is also a little loose so bought a couple of shorter ones from NAPA (stock from TPC is 49") so I bought one 48" and 47 5/8" so I can see which fits better so the tensioner does not rattle on the cooling fan when then engine is being started.

Overall, with a few tweaks, it is gonna be awesome!

Marc
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds fantastic!

You could log the air flow meter signal (edit: or MAF/MAP whatever you have) instead/as well as the rpm vs the afr, should give you a good steer.

Last edited by alexjc4; 06-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok Marc.... Its been a few days since Miller and you are yet to provide an update on how she went? Where are the Photo's? Where are the Videos? Give it up.....
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Freakin' Hot

The car worked great - a few minor issues but overall I was very pleased.

Other than a few trips around town and a run up to get gas (94 is the best I can buy in town), the car had not been stressed at all so I started out taking it slow. I did a Hammer adaptation so the idle is fine now but, I think because of the LWF, it will still stall if I let off the gas abruptly, especially if the fan for the RUF oil cooler is running.

First session I went out and drove like a granny, peering at the gauges like a paranoid geek. All seemed fine but as I pulled in, it threw a CEL, despite running well.

I tried reading codes but there were now errors stored so second session I went out with the Hammer doing a knock count - I was happy as it came back as 0/10,000. I did this twice so all seemed good.

Then I swapped on newer tires (I had been running last years MPCS's that were really worn) and went out to drive it hard. I also filled up with 100 octane to help prevent any detonation issues ($9 per gallon!!).

It was very hot on Friday (about 30*C or 86*F) and the only issue I encountered was the positioning of the air intake (cone filter, low on the right side of the engine bay) meant it was sucking a great deal of hot air -- IAT's pre-IC were upwards to 170-175*F at times with a post-IC of up to 130-134*F. I have read here and in the turbo forum that Geoffrey Ring uses IAT's of 140*F as his shut-down temp so I had to lift several times during some good laps to let things cool off.

I was happy to see that the radiator positioning seemed to be working as the water with Water Wetter (no antifreeze) dropped the IAT's through the IC by about 40-45*F. I think the issue is the air being sucked in is just too hot.

I have received a MASHAW GT1 wing with functional air scoops that will help get more cooler air in (I got the larger wing so there will be room to move to a larger IC in the future if I need too - plus a BAW* looks cool). With a CF wing blade, I think it is lighter than the stock wing too.

I will also add another 45* elbow after the air filter to lift the intake out from deep in the engine bay. I'll also insulate the water return lines (cool water from the IC) in the engine bay better as I ran out of hose insulation but now have more. Finally, I plan to build and ceramic coat an aluminum cold air box around the intake to insulate it from the heat of the engine.

All these combined should help lower IAT's. Failing that, I do have a Snow Stage 3 meth injection kit that I can install when I have time....

Overall, I was very happy that, after 6 months work, it ran very well in hot weather for 3 days on a 4 mile track - certainly a good test of the engine, sc, IC, etc.

Marc

*BAW=big *** wing
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

As for driving, I was a little disappointed in my times, the best I did was a 3:26 on the full track at Miller - and the best I managed last year was a 3:29.

[excuse]
I think part of the reason was the IAT's did not allow me a clean full lap (full track at Miller is over 4 miles - a long time to be on boost with the temp's rising).

Part of the reason too was a lack of cojones.
[/excuse]

At the end of the front straight (2/3 mile) last year I was approaching the rev limiter in 4th and hitting about 185 km/h (115 mph).

This year, I had to shift to 5th before the end of the front straight and was hitting 215 km/h (134 mph) so the car is certainly a great deal faster!

I could also pull away on the straights from a friend of mine who was driving a stripped 996 setup as a spec 996 racecar (3.4L engine with about 300 hp and a 2870 curb weight). I also managed to harass a 997GT3RS by filling his mirrors for more than one session.

I think with a few mods (and a better driver ), it will go a lot deal faster still.

Marc
Old 06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

The other issue I had was I still could not get RPM working on the TraqMate/TraqDash.

In addition, my GoPro did not work. I had wired it up and tested it at home but, at the track, it would just not turn on. (yes, battery was charged). I'll have to exchange it under extended warranty before Laguna Seca in a few weeks.

I did borrow a GoPro which I put on my windshield for one session and managed to capture a spin by a Boxster in front of me but, other than that, there is not much to see but I'll edit it and post it anyway.

Marc
Old 06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like overall you are pretty happy with the results. Also pretty good first time out on the track with very little time between getting it together and heading south.

Really wish I was down there with you guys, next year
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Finally got around to editing my only video (the only good part is at about 1:35)

Marc
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"86F is very hot"... you Canadian.

The snow water injection system does the trick. When spraying, it will turn the intercooler cold to the touch.

Get a big water tank and just use a 75mm sprayer. It should cool your AIT really well and lasts a while. Best of all, windsheild fluid is cheap. Even cheaper if you buy straight methanol and mix it with distilled water. No need to run >20% concentration if you're just using to cool and protect the engine.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
It was very hot on Friday (about 30*C or 86*F) and the only issue I encountered was the positioning of the air intake (cone filter, low on the right side of the engine bay) meant it was sucking a great deal of hot air -- IAT's pre-IC were upwards to 170-175*F at times with a post-IC of up to 130-134*F.
Marc,

I was having the same issues with rising IAT at track. My filter is also located in the worst possible place and will be relocated. I also plan on upgrading the IC coolant pump to a bigger unit. A friend of mine with a 600hp supercharged M3 got very good results with just switching the pump to a better flowing unit. He has very similar intercooler setup.

When you say that your pre IC temps were around 170F, I assume you are measuring this after the supercharger? I think majority of that temp rise is from the supercharger. It means the intercooler needs to do more work.
With a bigger pump you can make sure you max out the capacity of the cooler up front.
It would be interesting to see what the temperature of the air sucked into the fiter is at track...
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by axl911
"86F is very hot"... you Canadian.

The snow water injection system does the trick. When spraying, it will turn the intercooler cold to the touch.

Get a big water tank and just use a 75mm sprayer. It should cool your AIT really well and lasts a while. Best of all, windsheild fluid is cheap. Even cheaper if you buy straight methanol and mix it with distilled water. No need to run >20% concentration if you're just using to cool and protect the engine.
Yeah, I know - I am used to running the dog sleds between igloos.

I have a Snow system but have not installed it yet - it seems a bit of a Band-Aid to rely on a consumable but it may come to that.

Marc
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Juha G
Marc,

I was having the same issues with rising IAT at track. My filter is also located in the worst possible place and will be relocated. I also plan on upgrading the IC coolant pump to a bigger unit. A friend of mine with a 600hp supercharged M3 got very good results with just switching the pump to a better flowing unit. He has very similar intercooler setup.

When you say that your pre IC temps were around 170F, I assume you are measuring this after the supercharger? I think majority of that temp rise is from the supercharger. It means the intercooler needs to do more work.
With a bigger pump you can make sure you max out the capacity of the cooler up front.
It would be interesting to see what the temperature of the air sucked into the fiter is at track...

The pre-IC the temperature sensor is after the SC and before the IC (in the underside of the IC air intake right after the SC) while the post-IC is in the cast intake next to the boost pressure take off barb.

So, yes most of the heat might be from the SC. I tapped into the OE temp sensor of the MAF but can't seem to calibrate it to read reasonable temps as this would tell me the temperature of the air being sucked from the engine bay.

I also have a secondary RUF oil cooler with fan in the driver's front wing (air con gone) so may flush that and re-purpose it to be another radiator. I have never needed to turn the second oil cooler on as just switching the primary oil cooler fan to high while on track makes the oil temp plummet.

Marc
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I just got back from 3 days at Laguna Seca in Monterey, Ca. Other than the sound police, it is one of my favourite tracks.

I have to mount some goofy looking turn-away pipes with SuperTrapp mufflers in order to make the 92 dB sound limit (102 dB without, 89 dB with - was 85 dB with last year so the SC intake noise added 4 dB!). Over the winter I also got the pipes ceramic coated so I don't have to put heat reflective tape all over the rear bumper.

Despite the choking exhaust, I managed a time of 1:47 compared to 1:49 last year....my friend was running a 1:45 in a modified 996GT3 so I was not far off his tail.

I had a few car issues I'll document later (car is still in transport back from the sunny south) but I thought I'd post a little video from the second session on the last day: I entered turn 4 a little early and my slight correction caused a momentary loss of adhesion....I put in a complete lap first just to show I can drive without a spin.

Marc
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just clenched my cheeks as you came off and that wall came close!

Great stuff Marc, insanely quick!

Quick Reply: C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!