Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Hey Marc,

Make some additional cuts as in the pics below and it will clean up the piece nicely...
But would it not weaken where that top bolt hole is by not having enough "meat" there?

Marc
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't really provide a support for anything at that point, I have seen a number of people cut it off at the point indicated with out issue (Bill V being one).

I'll be cutting mine off at that point when I get the engine home....
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Will do then, sir - thanks.

Marc
(...and it will save me a few more ounces too. ).
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Jocke Rydell
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Well, I got my crank pulley off.
I broke down and ordered the proper crank wrench and puller from Vertex. Holy cr*p it is a big hunk of steel but, with this bad boy, I got the crank off in 5 minutes with minimal effort.

(pulley puller)

Marc
Here´s a tip.
I borrowed this tool from a Porsche mechanic a year ago. He had a hole drilled and threaded in the crank wrench tool where he kept the puller. In that way he always knew where to find it.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jocke Rydell
Here´s a tip.
I borrowed this tool from a Porsche mechanic a year ago. He had a hole drilled and threaded in the crank wrench tool where he kept the puller. In that way he always knew where to find it.
Thanks - good tip.

Marc
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default More progress......

With the engine carrier off, I managed to get the belt tensioner attached.

The template is just a hand drawn sheet of paper and seems a bit rough but, if you are careful, it actually works quite well and the holes end up in the right places.

My carrier was one of the latter ones with extra welds at the base so I did not need one of the shims TPC supplied but I did find a few of the bolts (especially the counter-sunk machine screw) a little short so I got longer ones. I also used nylock nuts instead of the supplied regular nuts as re-tightening these nuts, once in place, would be a challenge!

As you can see, I already had reinforced the hanger ends last year when the engine was out for the rebuild and POR-15 painted where the extra bits of metal were welded on.

Marc
Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

At Steven's suggestion, I took another crack at trimming the a/c bracket.

After 30 minutes of gentle application of an angle grinder (gentle+angle grinder=oxymoron?) and Dremel I ended up with this.

Damn, I hate it when he is right. It looks a lot better and is even lighter.

Marc
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats great, now you have a place to rest your beer when you are working on the engine.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trophy
Thats great, now you have a place to rest your beer when you are working on the engine.
Always thinking ahead - I like that.

Marc
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

With the SC, the v-belts are exchanged for a single 6-rib belt and the alternator warning light will act as a belt break warning so I removed the bracket for the belt sensor.

To avoid a warning light on the dash all the time, the sensor is bypassed by jumpering the wires together and replacing the plug.

Luckily I had a spare plug I kept from when my sensor broke before and I bypassed it by jumpering the wires so I just plugged it in.

Slow but steady progress. My son has a dance recital this weekend so my priority has shifted a little for the moment.

Marc
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

The sand cast aluminum parts from TPC are pretty rough on the inside. My internet reading and research has suggested that there is benefit to polishing the intake parts before and after the SC to reduce air turbulence and friction and therefore heat in the incoming air.

There is, however, benefit to leaving the intake manifold rough to allow for better atomization of the fuel by not having the air flow too laminar.

All this means is that I plan to polish the air filter adapter, the SC intake elbow, and the SC outlet "fan" but not get the intake manifold extrude hone polished.

I started on the air filter adapter (that fits between the cone air filter and the MAF) - it was pretty rough to start but, after 2 hours of Dremel work and a great deal of worn-out sanding and polishing disks, it looked and felt a lot smoother.

(bottom area only started)

(completely done and installed)

Marc
Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm truly loving the attention to detail Marc. When do you expect to have the SC installed and the engine mapped and running? Is there an event you're planning toward?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Marc,

Different school of thought here. Why would you want to smooth the intake? My understanding is that it is for better airflow....but on the SC, you don't really need better airflow. If you are in increased airflow, I would just change the pulley and increase boost by a psi or two, or three, and so on.

Now, to make better mixture of air and fuel through the extra injector, I would agree completely.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
I'm truly loving the attention to detail Marc. When do you expect to have the SC installed and the engine mapped and running? Is there an event you're planning toward?
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

My goal is to get the car running in the next week for some shake-down runs, weather permitting. I am hoping to get to my first track day of the season May 18-19.

Marc
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by axl911
Marc,

Different school of thought here. Why would you want to smooth the intake? My understanding is that it is for better airflow....but on the SC, you don't really need better airflow. If you are in increased airflow, I would just change the pulley and increase boost by a psi or two, or three, and so on.

Now, to make better mixture of air and fuel through the extra injector, I would agree completely.
Heat.

It has nothing to do with more air but rather less heat.

I am no expert in fluid dynamics, but my understanding is that friction of the incoming air with the rough surface of the intake piping generates heat. Heat is the enemy, especially since compression of the air generates heat too.

In the case of the rough intake piping, friction = heat so less friction means less heat. Colder air means less risk of detonation, heat soak of the engine, etc.

You're right - colder air is denser air but that is not a consideration with the sc as the air is already very dense from the compression.

In addition, I had planned to ceramic coat the intake manifold and sc output "fan" to insulate the incoming air from the heat of the engine, again to keep the air as cool as possible. Sadly, I won't have time to get this done before track season starts so I'll look into that next winter.

Marc

Quick Reply: C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!