Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i have seen a couple 911 motors go together in person and i still enjoyed this thread. good job. hope everything runs well.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will there be a happy ending...?

There better be after all this effort!

I can guarantee there will be tears either way.

Just a brief update as my posts are a few weeks behind reality.

The engine is finished with the exhaust fitted, wiring loom in position and most of the tin ware and heat shields in place. I just need to fit the power steering pump, bolt on the clutch then I am all ready for the big install.

I am away biking in Wales this weekend, so this will have to wait till the Easter weekend. If all goes well, I can get it in and running then, MOT’ed and be ready for the 964 meeting on the 19th.

Thanks for all the positive comments.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Low 964
Pro

Are you doing any bits while it is out, clutch etc, cleaning all the engine bay bits and pieces, that are round the engine.?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM
mr pg
Racer

Where in Wales are you going?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Porsche

The engine bay area is quite tidy anyway, but will give it a quick clean before refitting.

I am changing to an RS flywheel and clutch. I have had the gearbox stripped and rebuild with new seals etc. I had a slight whine under power, which I thought was a diff bearing, but turned out to be a planet gear. The box also had a weep around the drive shaft flanges so good to get it all done at once.

Am changing fuel filter flushing out and refilling power steering etc. I just want the car back on the road now, a year is a long time.

Mountain Biking

Staying just outside Betws-y-Coed, two of us riding at Penmachno tomorrow, then three of the other lads are with us for Sat and Sun, see how the weekend goes from there.

Have not ridden in North Wales for a long time. I normally do weekends away in the Peaks and very occasionally South Wales. Just booked a chalet in Chatel in France for a long weekend in August. The plan is to try and squeeze the bike in the back of the Pork and meet the other boys down there. That will be an interesting juggling act.

Where do you ride?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Originally Posted by mrmoots

Mountain Biking
The plan is to try and squeeze the bike in the back of the Pork and meet the other boys down there. That will be an interesting juggling act
Should be fine I got my Colnago racing bike in the back of mine ok
Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 AM
mr pg
Racer

Live in N London, but have ridden B Y C, and Coed Y Brenin (many times). Our current fav is down south at Afan, which is much easier to get to. Have also ridden Peaks, Yorkshire Dales and N York moors.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 PM
madmoog
Racer

How's it going, thought I'd ask as there had been a few weeks without an update? Hope all's well.

If it is are you going to make it to Centre Gravity tomorrow?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Fantastic project! Me look like newbie newbie beside this. Thx for the lesson!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Its all going OK, but taken longer than thought. I have been frantic the last couple of weekends and evenings trying to get it all together not only for the centre of gravity meet last Sunday, but also the Monday before was the year anniversary of when I pulled the engine.

Alas I missed both deadlines but I did manage to get the engine in last weekend.

A picture tells a thousand words so here goes!!!!!!!!

Name:  IMG_1082a (Small).jpg
Views: 155
Size:  59.8 KB

I will detail the remainder of the rebuild when I get some more time, but in brief. The engine went in OK mainly single handed, but my girlfriend was enlisted with some lining up and manoeuvring duties. An alloy O ring I ordered from Porsche for the spigot that connects onto the filer housing was wrong, so I had to order another one of those, but other than that the hook up was plain sailing. I have not connected up any of the heater components just in case it had to come out again.

I decided to drain the fuel tank and put in 10L of fresh fuel and the old stuff was now a year old.

I filled her with oil checked everything one final time, pulled the DME relay then cranked it over on the starter four or five times until oil pressure was just over 3bar. Check for leaks then put the DME relay and fuel pump fuse back in, put the ignition on and checked for fuel leaks, all OK. I cranked for what seamed like an eternity and nothing was happening. Switched off then tried again and she fired up instantly in a roar, panic then set in looking for leaks, keeping the revs up and not trying to faint in the shock of what’s going on.

Before starting I had put a zip tie onto the bottom of the throttle linkage and then tied that off when she started so I could hold the revs at 2K, after about 10mins of harassing the neighbours I upped the revs to 2.5K for a further 10mins.

Oil pressure looked good, there were no horrible noises and oil temp soon rose then fell as the stat opened, all good.

I shut it off after 20 mins then dumped all the oil out the tank and sump, I have now refilled with semi synthetic for the 1st drive and hopefully next 1000miles before I do the next change and valve adjustment etc.

I have not driven her yet as I need to get a fresh MOT and car tax sorted, but fingers crossed for this weekend.

A word of warning, I have never dropped really hot oil out of the thermostat housing before only when warm. Boy does it come out fast and splash you, your tools and most importantly my block pave drive, what a mess. I must get a deeper tray next time I do this.

Thanks to all, I will update in detail how things are going soon.

Ross
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. Great stuff! Congrats.

Yeah, that hot oil really does go everywhere! :-)
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Congradulations! Thanks for documenting your experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sweet.

Well done for persevering, I know it has been a saga.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrmoots
trying not to faint in the shock of what’s going on.

Ross
LOL - how many of us lesser (much!) home mechanics sympathise with that?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
madmoog
Racer

Well done

Quick Reply: My Engine Rebuild