Sponsored by:

My Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Rebuild

I have asked a lot of questions over the past year of this forum and not given much back. So firstly a BIG Thank You to everyone who has replied to my posts about issues that have arisen.

I have assembled a selection of photos and descriptions of what I have done right and wrong with my rebuild and will post them up over the next few days as time permits.

A bit of background on why I decided to rebuild my engine. I had oil leaks from the through bolts, cylinder base junction and cylinder to head junction. There was also a slight weep from the rear main seal. None of the leaks were terrible, but it was starting to seep into the heat exchangers and smell awful when the heater was on. What capped it off for me was having a leak down test undertaken and finding relatively high losses throughout and particularly high in cylinder one.

I did get a few quotes from independents to undertake at least a top end rebuild, but where is the fun in that, besides why pay for someone else to do something you can (hopefully) do OK yourself.

I started with high aspirations about it only taking a couple of months to complete. Its been ongoing now since April 08 and at last the engine is now finished. I just need to mount the heat exchangers, fan, alternator and injection system before I can refit it to the car. Starting it for the first time will be a VERY nerve wracking experience. Everything will be crossed that day.

Day One

Name:  IMG_9892 (Small).JPG
Views: 1007
Size:  130.9 KB

Day Two. The only way I could get the engine into my shed was to strip off the exhaust, fan, injection system etc. Even so it only just fitted with 20mm to spare.

Name:  IMG_0330 (Small).JPG
Views: 868
Size:  74.5 KB

Well its in! Now what

Name:  IMG_0331 (Small).JPG
Views: 908
Size:  59.5 KB

Over the coming weekends I slowly stripped everything down. Photographed it, labelled it and measured what I could. Below is a sample of what all the heads and cylinders looked like when removed.

Name:  IMG_0420 (Small).JPG
Views: 857
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0424 (Small).JPG
Views: 920
Size:  60.8 KB

This is cylinder number one. Out of the six it had the most scoring. I found that the end of the top compression ring was also broken and missing, never to be found. I got all cylinders measured professionally and found two to be worn beyond the specified tolerance.

Name:  IMG_0439 (Small).JPG
Views: 823
Size:  26.2 KB
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Nice One Looking forward to your updates.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

WOW! Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

The engine had defiantly been apart before. I had found scoring on the pistons by the wrist pin clips and also dents where the rods had been allowed to fall against the case lip where the cylinders join.

Name:  IMG_0448 (Small).JPG
Views: 771
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0491 (Small).JPG
Views: 756
Size:  51.7 KB

I spoke to a very friendly chap called Colin Belton at Ninemeister (thanks Colin) who gave me some sound advice about the dents. I later dressed these back with a needle file and lightly sanded flush. The dents are just inside the location of the "O" ring at the base of the cylinders, so providing no high spots existed should be OK. I checked my work in these areas by test fitting with engineers blue until I got a nice flat dent free surface.

Initially I was not going to split the case, just clean everything up and change the through bolt “O” rings one by one. I priced up the complete bearing sets I would need and the after finding the dents decided to go the whole hog. I don’t think the case had ever been apart.

Name:  IMG_0504 (Small).JPG
Views: 810
Size:  66.8 KB

I did not really find anything too surprising. There was a few bits a black silicone type overspill collected around the oil pump gauze and the through bolts “O” rings where either torn or hard and split. No wonder they were leaking so badly.

Name:  IMG_03511 (Small).JPG
Views: 787
Size:  41.5 KB

Once I had everything apart I set about the joyous task of cleaning then rechecking everything. This was helped immensely by the charitable nature a local independent Porsche garage, who had very kindly offered to help me out with advise and use of their hot parts washer. The case, heads and various other items were hot cleaned by them for me. When I got them back I still spent may an hour re-cleaning everything, knocking out some blanking plugs, cleaning out the galleries and setting in new plugs.

Name:  IMG_0044 (Small).JPG
Views: 912
Size:  48.7 KB

One area I spent a long time on was cleaning out the piston squirters which are located on the bearing webs of the case. On the case half 1 to 3 the squirters can be accessed easily and flushed out with cleaning fluid. I do not have access to a compressor, so I used a bicycle track pump with a tapered plastic adaptor wedged into the oil feed hole for each squirter. After two or three quick pumps enough pressure would accumulate and the squirter would open and spray the fluid out. I repeated this five or six times for each squirter until the fluid sprayed out was nice and clean. I then sprayed a little GT85 into each squirter to stop them sticking before everything was finished. With the other case half, 4 to 6 I needed to block the through bolt holes as the squiter drillings are connected to these. I did this with some silicone tubing and abolt pushed down its centre to expanded it into position. It worked out well.

Name:  IMG_9688 (Small).JPG
Views: 748
Size:  48.6 KB
Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Blimey! Seeing pictures like that fill me with: 1. terror and 2. absolute admiration. I don't think that I have the ***** or skill to ever undertake that kind of work. Looking forward to seeing it all together and growling.

PS did you do any enhancements while you were in there, especially after talking to Neinmeister?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Awesome write-up! Keep the pics coming.

Andreas
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Whilst this was going on, I was trying to decide about how to get around the worn cylinders. They were the early type, without the sealing rings at the head junction. I toyed around with the idea of changing to 102mm cylinders and pistons, making a 3.8, but that was starting to look a bit optimistic for my budget and skills. At the time (last spring) the UK to US exchange rate was good so I took the plunge and ordered a new set of Mahle cylinders, pistons and rings from Pelican Parts in California. Even with the shipping, import and tax I made a considerable saving on these compared to the UK estimates I had received. Unfortunately this was my first of several disasters. The first set had got damaged in shipping and ironically so did the second. After many e-mails and phone calls the third set arrived an were perfect. I have to say the attitude of Pelican and in particular their proprietor Wayne was fantastic, the shipping problems were down to how Mahle had packaged the sets up and nothing to do with Pelican. The third set was inspected an hand packed by Wayne in a fashion fit for organs awaiting human transplant, his words not mine!!!!

Name:  IMG_9648 (Small).JPG
Views: 743
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9649 (Small).JPG
Views: 778
Size:  56.2 KB

The case halves fully cleaned and ready for assembly. A break away from what Porsche recommend, but appears to be a popular option on the Pelican Parts Forum is to use only Loctite 574 on the bearing webs and Threebond 1215 on the outer half joints. I must have fully degreased the case joints a dozen times with Isopropyl alcohol before finally applying each sealant. I did not want any mistakes.

Name:  IMG_0055 (Small).JPG
Views: 828
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0054 (Small).JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  68.6 KB

Just jumping back a step. New main bearings, new big end bearings and rod bolts all supplied by Type911 here in the UK. Slightly cheaper than Pelican and EBS.

Name:  IMG_0046 (Small).JPG
Views: 753
Size:  59.5 KB

I changed again here from the norm and assembled the case halves and torqued up the new outer fasteners and the through bolts dry without “O” rings. My theory being that I did not want the 1215 or 574 to skin over before I tightened everything up when messing around with the through bolt “O” rings. I left the case over night and then removed each through bolt one by one. Fitted the “O” ring with a small bead of RTV silicone, torqued up, then did the next.

Name:  IMG_0057 (Small).JPG
Views: 759
Size:  63.9 KB

I had made up a small tapered sleeve on my lath before hand to assist in fitting the “O” rings.

Name:  IMG_1555 (Small).JPG
Views: 800
Size:  37.8 KB

The only possible calamity I have made is that I pushed the “O” rings fully home on the through bolts which is not what Porsche recommend, but I cannot see it making that much difference, time will tell.

Like this....
Name:  IMG_1550 (Small).JPG
Views: 738
Size:  34.7 KB

Instead of like this....
Name:  IMG_1551 (Small).JPG
Views: 717
Size:  34.2 KB

When the through bolt is inserted, the "O" ring is forced up onto the ramp to help it expand and seal. So fingers crossed.

Its bed time now. Hopefully will get time to post some more tomorrow night.

Thanks

Ross
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments so far.

"Enhancements", maybe, maybe not. All will be revealed in the next instalments.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Ohhhh man, you got it going on! How many hours so far? When do you expect to complete the installation!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheering you on man! Keep it up. I am working up my courage to do the same thing someday... :-)
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Great job, kudos for embarking on this trip!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Low 964
Pro

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing............I feel like a real dumass.....................when it comes to these engines...........!
Cheers! way to do it right mate!
Steve
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Wow, I love these rebuild pics. Like meek said, it is part fear part and total fascination.

Quick Reply: My Engine Rebuild