Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic... look forward to your report of the first few 100 miles on the road..
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on a finished job well done. When I resealed my engine, it was out for 14 months, so I know all the feelings you went through and a fantastic way of putting them into words.

I can tell you that the first few months you will be on edge every time you start the engine.

Now go drive and enjoy.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

You are the man...........!!!! Awsome post.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, they all mean a lot.

Got my MOT and tax so been legally driving around yesterday and today. I have done about ten miles so far and got my first oil leak? Its coming from here…..

Name:  IMG_0057 (Medium).JPG
Views: 170
Size:  88.7 KB

A strange location, but one I remembered instantly I saw it dripping. I remembered when I assembled the case, I was a bit shy of using the 574 up to the intermediate bearing shaft in case it squeezed out onto the bearing when assembled. The oil must but getting in between the bearing and the stud.

Name:  IMG_0054 (Medium).JPG
Views: 193
Size:  94.7 KB

What is it they say, every action has a positive and negative reaction! At the weekend I am going to remove the nut and washer, clean the end of the stud well with carb cleaner apply some RTV silicone and maybe use an alloy washer and nylock nut. A bit of a bodge, but that should stop it leaking. I cannot think of it causing any other damage internally.

The lightweight flywheel certainly makes the revs fall and rise a lot quicker. No stalling problems to report yet, but the transmission is noisy at idle and low speeds. Find it quite jerky changing gear and negotiating low speed manoeuvres. Sure it is just something to get used too. Thought I had a big end bearing issue at first, but when you dip the clutch the knocking goes, from what I have read, this does sometimes occur with the RS flywheel.

The car in general sounds a lot louder than before, more mechanical noise. I am running for the first time ever without the lower engine tray, which must dampen out a lot of mechanical noises. When stationary with the engine lid up she sounds fine.

The only other possible niggle was that she puffed a bit of smoke on start up today. The car does sit on a slope when parked up, hoping it is just the rings seating themselves etc. This must take a while with new cylinders, rings etc.

Colin is right, every drive is packed full of nerves at the moment, I hope my paranoia subsidise soon, my heart cannot take much more of this!

Will feed back with more updates soon.

Ross
Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Ross,
I hope you get the leak taken care of.

I am in awe of your results otherwise!

Andreas
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default great contribution

I just split my case yesterday. Your thread should be a great help in putting it back together, or getting off my wallet and letting someone more compotent do it.

Excellent work, great attention to detail! Now, worry less / drive more.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Cupcar
Race Car

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I bet the nylock nut and a aluminum sealing washer will do the trick without the silicone.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Alan

If you need any photos for info just let me know, got over 650 of them detailing every single step.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Default thanks

Originally Posted by mrmoots
Alan

If you need any photos for info just let me know, got over 650 of them detailing every single step.

Good luck

I'll shoot you a PM when I get going. I tore it down because it binded up at the top of 2/5. Never really found any smoking gun, just a broken oil control ring on piston 3.

I'm just specing everthing out and figuring how deep to go.

Alan
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Evening all.

I have been really busy of late with projects around the house and at work. I do mean to finish off my thread with lots more photos and information, but for now just a quick update.

I have so far covered just under 500miles in the car with minimal problems to report.

I have a very slight leak from the rear main seal area and the rocker shaft seals sometimes leak slightly, sometimes don’t. There is also a very slight weep from the main scavenge oil line that runs from the case to the base of the filter housing. I did not change this line as it looked OK, but it looks as though I will have to now change at some point.

The car is running really well and feels a lot livelier than before the rebuild. The RS flywheel is a revelation, I am sure I have said before that I was always disappointed with lethargic engine pick up when I got the 964, but now it is great. It pulls well at motorway speeds and makes overtaking much more of a pleasure.

The leak from the case bolt I mentioned a month or so back has now stopped following my RTV silicone and alloy washer install.

I have had the car looked at by JZ Machtech in Kings Langley, they had the car for a couple of hours and test drove it before connecting it up to their diagnostic machine. I just wanted peace of mind that the knock sensors etc were OK and nothing odd had been going on. Their engine guy looked at the car and other than the minor leaks mentioned above could only find things like a non-working door mirror motor and a cracked rear reflector, enough said really!

Machtechs new show room and reception areas are very smart, well worth a call in.

I intend to drop the engine again at the 1000mile mark, sort out the minor leaks and adjust the valves, then go play.

I will update as the miles build and or anything surprising occurs.

Thanks for your interest

Ross
Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I just found this thread. Thanks so much for sharing. Well done.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrmoots
I intend to drop the engine again at the 1000mile mark, sort out the minor leaks and adjust the valves, then go play.
I guess after all that work, another engine drop must feel like playtime. Kinda funny how major barriers like an engine drop are only mental sometimes. Great work!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
tifosi66
Intermediate

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: My Engine Rebuild