Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep - unfortunately seems that the FOPAR was only for the 964 model - as the 993 has the darker red tail lights -
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Just want ed to bring this back up as a viable option to make the 964 rear lenses darker red.
Even the NEW lenses are going to have the PINK TINT to them -
This is the easiest and quickest fix to going to a darker red on the tail light lenses
FYI - I have made over a 100 kits now and shipped all over the world -
All hand cut with all tools to get the job done.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I have one of these kits in the garage i had forgotten about
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

If you have crazed or cracked tail light lenses the film will hide some of it - ( look at page 2 to see what this looks like ) Bit really bad crazing or cracks will still be seen. If the lenses are really bad you may want to get them replaced, then cover with the vinyl film to get the rich dark red look before you install - it is easier, but on or off the job is not difficult.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gus what is the cost of one of these light kits including shipping to England UK many thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Here is basic info -

I ask $45 for the tail light kit and $10 for the shipping and handling of the kit – $55.00 in USA.
Canada is $12.50 for UPS

To ship to GB and Europe by post ( USD 15.00 to ship ) –so $60.00 USD no tracking – but have not lost one yet
In the kit you get 3 sheets of red transparent vinyl cut to fit
Left tail light
right tail light
and center section
Bottle of Squish ( Magic Soap solution)
Squeegee
Razor knife
Flat wood sticks to work edges
Instructions – (long – but does tell you to drink beer when finished)

You can make payment to my PAY PAL account - gustavwf@mac.com
Please make sure your ship to address is correct –
Once I receive notice of payment I will make the kit and ship – sometimes there is a little delay due to work or being caught up in Porsche project -
I will send you a tracking number when your kit ships (by UPS only). Please include a private email for UPS notification.

If you have any questions drop me a note here - or email me at guswf@comcast.net -

Thks for your interest-
Gus
Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
mattwaite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

just a quick query. I'm about to have a go at this and was wondering what your solution was for the screw holes in the side lamps, how do you best tackle them?

Many thanks

Matt
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

If you install with lenses on the car just cover. If the lenses are off the car, make two small cuts 90 degrees apart or better is 3 at 60 degrees apart ( hole width only) after the film is one the lens and fold the tabs down into the screw hole. Do not cut with the vinyl film off the tail light lens section as you will over cut or miss align hole.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Gus, I just sent you some $s to your Paypal account for a kit. My rear lights aren't cracked just a bit faded, so I'm hoping this gives a good result. If I can pull this off anyone can as I tend to not be too "artistic" (but I can turn a wrench LOL).
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 AM
milutintin
Advanced

Anybody has night pics with the reverse light on? Does it become red or stays white?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did mine the reverse light goes red and the side indicator markers flash red as well all is not good here in the UK counts as a traffic violation. I just try not to indicate in-front of the Law. and I have a friend who is driving agency tester who passes my car for the MOT paper work. I have a old set of original lights that are really bad and if worse comes to worse and I need to test my car which is once a year I will change out the rear lights for the originals just to get through the test.

in Hindsight I would have cut a small hole or slit 993 style pre-haps for the reverse light and the same for indicators.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milutintin
Anybody has night pics with the reverse light on? Does it become red or stays white?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Recently installed red film over tail lights using Gus' tail light kit. Very nice result. Follow Gus' advice and work slow and wait for a warm day or use a hair dryer.
After

Before
Thanks Gus
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 AM
jamest
Instructor

power_up - are you using standard bulbs and did you use the kit supplied by Gus? Both turn signal and reverse lights appear red on my car with the film solution fitted.

I have standard bulbs and was considering brighter amber turn signal led's to see if this might improve things, has anyone tried this?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM
surfdog4
Instructor

i didn't use the kit but purchased some similar film on roll off of ebay..The reverse and turn signals really didn't look much different..just for fun i changed out the turn signal bulbs to amber. You might consider swapping out the reverse lights to a white LED bulb, many LED "bulbs" are bluish-white and might appear more white through the red film (I haven't tried it)

Quick Reply: Tail Light solution