Sponsored by:

Tail Light solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pink - yes they are from the factory, i guess i fail to see the allure of the paint or the vinyl solution.
by all means if you like the look go for it. however it is not something i am really interested in. The all red 996/986 tail lights do look better than the org/rd ones but the 964 US tail light never bothered me.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
erm..I don't think so (and neither do you).
Really? Can you tell what I'm thinking now?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I just redid my left rear as i never got around to painting it as i did the other 2. I painted the outside of the right rear and the center lens and though they came out pretty darn good i was never really pleased that i couldnt get it to buff out as shiney as i would like.

I actually removed the red (er pink) lens. Then painted the INSIDE with the candy apple red clear. Looks totally awsome and like it came from the factory that way. Only problem i had was i got a little messy when i glued it back on but with practice it could be perfect. Very risky taking off the lens though they are plastic welded on.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 10-11-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ritter
Really?
Yes really, because I credit you with the intelligence to differentiate between the impression given by someone who has placed a clear bra on a car in order to protect it and the impression made by someone who has stuck cheesey red clear stuff on their lights because they can't be arsed to do the job properly!

Originally Posted by Ritter
Can you tell what I'm thinking now?
I think many reading would hazard a guess David...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Default OT - political bumper stickers

Originally Posted by Gus
Kahdmus - Took me about 30 minutes to install both tail lights - no mess, no paint, no sanding - easy clean up - Did not mean to push my political perspective here (was just on the car)- will remove on next pictures
Gus, Tell me you are kidding... This is America. You drive around with that sticker and you are writing up a post on tail lights, which happens to require a photo of the rear end. Don't bother removing. Anyone who doesn't like it can comment as so or not follow this post. I'm sure the ACLU would defend your right to have a political bumper sticker. Oh, sorry, you have the wrong one for them, so never mind.

Sorry about the off topic rant. If you still want to keep it out of the thread, then take a picture of that sticker and use it as your Avatar. Then it will be in EVERY thread you comment and successfully politicizes every thread.

Exercise your right to free speech while you still have it.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

And b/c this point has me so ticked off, I've just added the McCain/Palin tag line to my signature.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by wf758
And b/c this point has me so ticked off, I've just added the McCain/Palin tag line to my signature.
Rock on man!!!!!

Hey Kahdmus.......lighten up Francis!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wf758
Surely being annoyed that someone exercises their right to free speech in order to object shows more than a little hypocrisy? Also, people do get upset about politics and religion which is why its always better to leave these things to their appropriate forums.The only solution is to keep it about the cars, as debated in another thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/457096-why-do-some-people-put-political-messages-in-their-tags.html

Anyway, as for the lens 'covering' I hope we can revisit this in 12 months time and see how the original application is holding up. I wash my car weekly and wax it every other wash - I just don't see this holding up. The painted center reflector on my C4 still looked good after all this time, even with the California sun and lots of washing and waxing.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, put any sticker on your car you want. I hope yours and mine will be parked next to each other someday at a Porsche event (mine has an Obama/Biden sticker on it)

Let's not forget that we all need to be Americans after the election, no matter how it turns out.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I wash my car weekly and wax it every other wash
You should seriously reconsider that practice. Every time you touch the car, you damage the paint. The fewer times you wash/wax, the better. A good wax should last 6 month easily.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You should seriously reconsider that practice. Every time you touch the car, you damage the paint. The fewer times you wash/wax, the better. A good wax should last 6 month easily.
So then, I'm actually preserving my car by not washing it!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
951 S
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gus - let us know how the tail light wrap works out, my lens are cracked too. I for one will not pre-judge & throw in the IMO line unitl we have other members feedback.

On another note I vote keep the sticker on your car. I could care less if anyone shows a sticker with their political idea's no matter left or right- it is a free country. Its not like you commented to convert anyone. Of course if it was Obama sticker it would be Ok.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
So then, I'm actually preserving my car by not washing it!
HA! -- my Corolla is waaay better preserved than your 964.

If it weren't such a wash-n-wear, I believe they'd call its condition a 'patina'.
[that last, said w/ authentic Pebble Beach-snooty jaws clenched.]
Old 10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Totally contrary to advice received here Colin but I appreciate your concern.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also agree that you should place whatever sticker you want on your car, ABSOLUTELY! However, please leave your politics at the door (if you can exercise that much self discipline and respect for others). It would be nice to log into rennlist and escape from the politics.

Personally I don't care what your personal politics are. The thing that amazes me most, especially in the US is how partisan people are...like sheep! I honestly don't think there's a great choice on either side and I respect people's right to their point of view, I just don't want them shoved in my mush thanks. The sad thing is that many here obviously do not understand this. Shame really as it used to be a bunch of car guys having a laugh and helping each other out...

Quick Reply: Tail Light solution