Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the oil pressure reliefs in the bottom and side of the motor, and put in the oil drain plug.
Attached Images    

Last edited by KirkF; 07-30-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

The left side chain housing was next.

I installed the two left side chain rails first, without tightening their hold down bolts.
Then I put the gasket in with Threebond 1104 on both sides of it, followed by the chain housing.

It took me about an hour to figure out that I was missing the roll pin from the bottom chain rail. If you ever do this, and you buy new chain rails, remember there is probably still some parts stuck to your old chain rails! (buy a couple extra roll pin holders, they crack easily)

The hold down for the rails is irritating because you have to have a very skinny walled socket to fit in the indented holes.

The right side is similar, with the straight rail on top and the curved rail at the bottom. I had the most trouble with the roll pins and their plastic holders. They were stubborn to get in.

I also noticed the powder coater put powder coat on the surface where the oil cross pipes go, so I will have to remove that I think.
Attached Images      

Last edited by KirkF; 07-30-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:40 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I lubed up the left side cam shaft and installed it. You can tell the left one because the cam lobes look like a V whereas the right side cam has lobes that are more aligned up/down. Then I installed the right cam.

The right side cam shaft also drives the power steering. It is open at the back.

The chain housing to cam tower uses a paper seal, and a green viton O-ring. I used Curil T here for extra sealing.

Then I put in the thrust washer, 3 shims , collar and cam gear on the left side. The cam gear is not bolted down yet.

Similar procedure for the right side, but different number of shims.

(It was getting late atthis point. so I'm a little short of pictures.)

Kirk
Attached Images       

Last edited by KirkF; 07-30-2006 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:00 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

If anybody has any good pictures of the alternator fan & pulley assembly order I would appreciate it. There is alot of spacers and shims, and I'm not entirely sure where they all go. (Everything from the fan to the lock nut on the outer pulley)

Kirk
Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

This morning I checked the parallelity of the cam sprockets. Sorry no pictures, (not enough hands available) basically you hold a straight edge across the motor at the intermediate shaft and measure the distance to the left & right sprocket faces. They were on spec with the factory 3 shims left and 4 shims right.

I installed the oil breather cap with threebond 1211 on both sides of the gasket.

I also installed the oil sensor using a green viton o-ring and some of the misc. hardware on top of the engine.

Then I went to work 'unbolting' the cat from the rest of the exhaust. I think I am going to skip trying to remove the existing O2 sensor. It'll be easier just to buy one.

Kirk
Attached Images    
Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Ive been following this post since it started. All I can say is W O W ! ! Its a work of art.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I was wondering on the weekend how much trouble I would get into if I just never installed the engine, and put it in the living room instead as an art piece. Somehow I think I would get in trouble.

On the other hand, now that we are up to post #112 of this thread, I think there are only a couple die hards still reading it.

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirk - plenty of people reading it I think! Great job!

Are you getting responses to the questions you are asking along the way? If not, it may be better to post the questions under new threads each time.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Rob,

Ya I was thinking I should post the question about the fan/pulley assembly back in the main forum. Its sort of hidden between posts with pictures.

Kirk
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reading with great intrest, your attention to detail has really got me on the edge of my seat and I really wish I could help you out with some of your questions but you are way over my head.

Good luck and great job again.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kirk... You
are a

DIY

GOD
Old 07-31-2006, 11:18 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I will have to create a manual out of this thread! I could sell it on ebay.
Keep it coming, I can't wait for the next post.
I read this thread like my wife watches soaps.
I appreciate the work of all the posts and pics.
Thanks Kirk.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

hahaha,
Well I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. Not quite sure its 'edge of seat' entertainment, but its better than oprah.

Next weekends installment may not be great though. I haven't got the rocker arms, and thats going to hold up the show until they arrive. I think Cam timing is next.

Kirk
Old 08-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

all I can say is WOW! I am positive you have a folder in many of our computers for all these photos and documentation...

Thank you again for taking the time to share this. Outstanding!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome job, looks great...I'm actually getting envious and it's possible I might take some 'extra steps' next time I have my engine out!

Quick Reply: 964 Engine Rebuild