Sponsored by:

964 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAY!!!

Ok now I have great news - I guess I'm not a total idiot after all. Took the fan and alt belts off and the knock went away. Now I just have to figure out what to replace/fix in those things, correct a minor exhaust leak, and I'm good to go. I looked everywhere for my handycam usb cable with no luck so I went to Radio Shack and paid way too much for one ($21) so here are some pics (not very good ones)...
Old 07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Default Morning of July 4th

Spent all day July 3rd starting from attaching the rods and ending up with this, long block complete morning of July 4th. Finished the mini-keg of Heineken on the 3rd - Shiner Bock will have to do for the 4th...
Attached Images       
Old 07-07-2006, 02:02 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Default Afternoon of July 4th

Wow! Finally ready to put it in...
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2006, 02:04 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Default Evening of July 4th

Thought I would fire it up that night, but still had exhaust, heat shields, half shafts, blower and ducting left. Speaking of exhausted, I was so sore and tired I had a hard time sleeping.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Default Gratuitous extra pics

I'll snap another shot of the engine in the car later, maybe after I fix the fan/alt bearings. But I just couldn't resist taking a couple of my kart, which would probably best the stock 964 at Laguna Seca any day...
Attached Images    
Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics look good to me! Nice kart by the way.
I wonder if the knock could be from your harmonic balancer on the crankshaft?

Kirk
Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I don't know if it's the fan/alt or the crank pulley, but the educated guess is the fan/alt because they are notorious for going out and since my crank pulley is torqued down that would be more of a vibration than a knock. Maybe the fan/alt pulleys were shimmed for more worn/stretched belts - I didn't even know you could shim the things when I put the fresh belts on. So maybe a mistake of mine, or maybe a bearing up there was about to go and the fresh belts just pushed it over the edge. Either way I'm extremely happy and will happily do whatever work or pay whatever money it takes to fix this very NON-engine problem.

The kart is LOADS of fun. I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone interested in racing. $3000 and you can go wheel-to-wheel racing. The 6-speed versions (I have the single speed) will kick the snot out of any race car on a road course - of course it's hard to beat 0-60 in 3 seconds and 3 G's without aero. They are sick little puppies. Amazing what a well-tuned 125cc 2-stroker will do on a 175 pound sled.

Are you going to get some time in on the engine this weekend?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:47 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
Yeah, I don't know if it's the fan/alt or the crank pulley, but the educated guess is the fan/alt because they are notorious for going out and since my crank pulley is torqued down that would be more of a vibration than a knock.
After your torqued down the crank pulley what did you measure the lateral runout at? It shouldn't be more than 0.5mm. If it was wayyyy off it would explain a bunch of your problems...
Old 07-08-2006, 03:15 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Hmm, didn't even measure it. I'll put a dial on it and see - thanks for the tip!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

I had to work this weekend, but I made a little engine progress. I installed the pistions & cylinders.

I starting at piston #1 and worked around the engine clockwise 1-2-3-6-5-4

STEPS:
-Cover openings around the piston you are not working on with cellophane, place a clean lint free cloth around the rod you will be working on. (Less chance of dropping the circlip into the engine)

-Setup rings on piston. With intake valve at Noon, put first ring at 9 Oclock, 2nd ring at 3 Oclock, oil ring at 12 Oclock and put piston into cylinder from bottom.

-Put Threebond 1211 around perimeter of cylinder and place green viton O-ring in place.

-Put wrist pin in place, about 2 mm past inside endge of piston

-Wipe down case spigot with alcohol, and put rebuild lube on small end of rod
bushing.

-Put piston/cylinder in place and tap wrist pin into position

-Put circlip into position with opening at about 11 Oclock, place small screwdriver into 3Oclock gap, lever the circlip inwards and press into place with thumb.

-Gently tap/push cylinder down and hold in place with tool.

Kirk
Attached Images          
Old 07-09-2006, 11:40 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Nice work, Kirk - looking good! Keep it up!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it up and running Chance?

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Yellowstone and didnt take the Porsche this time around. Couldnt figure out how to fit 3 suit cases, stroller, 2 coolers, and baby back pack in it!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Default Project Low Point?

The powder coating & other parts havent come back yet, so there was no motor work happening weekend. The rocker arms are going to be shipped soon.

I decided I would take apart the distributor and change the belt.
When I opened up the distrubutor I found the bearings aren't in great shape. The secondary bottom one was full of rust, etc. Porsche really dropped the ball on these, they have no spare parts for them. I guess you are supposed to buy a new distributor rather than rebuild it.
I am not sure whether I will just repack the bearings, or send them out to get them changed.

So today I did the job I have been dreading. My motor leaked oil all over everything, so I had to go in the engine compartment with 4 liters of varsol, and a cloth and start wiping out the sludge. That and the passenger side fender well. Both had about an inch of buildup. Crappy job.

Then I removed the oil filter assembly, and found out I have to replace another oil line. The one from the filter assembly to the thermostat.

And to top it off I snapped a bolt off on the left side bumper shock.

Seems like everything I look at needs to be fixed.

Kirk
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2006, 08:46 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

BY the way, the paint on koni shocks sucks.
Either the varsol or the brake clean took off the yellow on my konis.

Kirk
Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love following this project! I think there is a guy who does belt changes and distributer rebuilds. He would probably know where to get the bearings. Don't remember his name but I've seen him advertise either here or on Pelican.

I've been dying to ask kind of an off topic question. What are the wheels in this pic? https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...d=124796&stc=1 I've never seen them before and they look kind of cool. Are they some kind of winter wheels?

Quick Reply: 964 Engine Rebuild