Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProMAX Chip and Maf unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ordered the chip from Andrew and look forward to experiencing the results.
The conversations and comment make sense and having owned my car since 1989 I am probably sensitive to its road going characteristics.
i will post my impressions on this site in the next few weeks - I think my car is an ideal candidate to show benefit
- we shall see !!
i should add that Andrew at ProMAX is very fluent in his explanation and gives confidence in his product through his obvious genuine deep understanding what is needed.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:33 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Laurence,

I share your question and more. There is a lot of talk about the 300bhp number, and if that number is easily done, then someone please tell us exactly how. Perhaps I missed it somewhere? The 9M guys have mentioned that the car is good to 300bhp w/o new injectors. So.. exactly how and how much? Perhaps I just need it spelled out for me...

Is it a live remap/ECU change? Is it exhaust (remove cat/secondary), a combination of those, or something more exotic? If I can get the car to 300bhp then I would be *very* interested in the solution pending costs.

Lastly, is this available in the USA.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:32 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi All,

The 964 chip is available to 964 owners in the USA. The chip is $239.95 with a 30 day money back guarantee. The MAF kit (that includes a MAF optimised DME chip) is $1199.95 but has been discounted to $1049.95 to Rennlist members in the USA - again with a 30 day money back guarantee.

We have now supplied a chip to 1 owner and a MAF kit to another. First, I would like to see feedback from these 2 owners before we supply any more kits to the USA. There are sometimes differences between ROW models and USA/CAN models and I want to be 100% certain that our products perform as intended on these cars as they do on ROW cars.

The findings of the 2 owners mentioned above will be posted here when they have had a chance to install and evaluate.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Kismet
Instructor

I fitted the Promax chip to my car when it had 130k miles on it , leakdown results of between 25% and 56% and oil coming from everywhere. I noticed an improvement in smoothness and response. Later this week I should get it back after a complete rebuild including new camshafts, cat bypass and cup pipe so I'm expecting even more. In my opinion the chip is well worthwhile. Andrew's offer of a dyno test, fit the MAF, dyno test again and then run it for a few days and return it if not entirely satisfied is a good deal. I'm currently "resting" but if anybody needs a good contract IT project manager then I'd be in a position to take him up on the offer once my engine is run in.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 PM
C H
Instructor

Does the Promax differ from the 993 MAF? I have heard other 964 owners have fitted this to receive power gains.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:49 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by C H
Does the Promax differ from the 993 MAF? I have heard other 964 owners have fitted this to receive power gains.
Hi,

The MAF fitted to the 993 is an older style hot wire type that requires a burn cycle to clear the wire (please correct me if I'm wrong somebody). The MAF we supply is a Bosch HFM5 family MAF (similar to those on Boxster and 996 - but not the same) and is a hot film type of design (requires no burn cycle to clear after shutdown).

The power improvements are a combination of the MAF and MAF chip we supply.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tafkai
anything else and you just MIGHT get lucky .
Bearing in mind that NONE of the 964s we have were mapped live by the factory, but given a 'standard' off-the-shelf chip, why is an off-the-shelf chip mapped to different parameters seen as such a bad thing?

I disagree with the various analogies (eg wedding dress) - the 'measurements' are pretty wel known - our engines are pretty much exactly the same - identical enough for the factory to issue them all with a standard chip when new anyway. IMHO!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
C H
Instructor

Robmug, I would agree with you as well. All other cars have off the shelf chips that work well(stock and aftermarket). If you have done mods to your car, then a live road map will be better. The live map will optimize any mods you have already done. It is pretty hard to make a "one chip fits all" when you start altering the stock configuration. I think it is safe to assume 90% of us have in someway already done something to modify our cars.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I poked around a bit to answer my own question, and I guess here is a good explanation of the steps and milestones for tuning the 964 engine. 9m 964 Tuning Guide c2/c4. I guess this helps put a framework (at least for my dumb head) around the orig questions about chips and MAF.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

Let's get real here. When we are talking about 10-15 hp gain with a chip change, that is only 20% of the 50 hp gain between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm. I agree that most of us will never even detect the seat-of-the-pants kick of 15 hp. I suspect that there are many other variables that will vary hp at least that much, including quality of fuel, altitude, temperature, weight of the car, road condition, weather, and so on.

I think the question is, what will the chip do, and how can we measure that in terms of everyday drivability, performance, and ROI (return on investment). I'm going to try the ProMAX chip, so I'm open to suggestions here. As I remember, hp relates to top speed, and torque relates to acceleration. As it's not practical to go out and try to hit 160 mph around here, I will be mostly looking for differences related to acceleration and power band. My thoughts at the moment include:

* I have a G-meter so I will do enough straight line runs with and without the chip to get some impression of acceleration and hp on the street (drag strip actually),

* Drivability. Here in Portland, we have enough hilly/curvy roads that I can put a few miles just motoring through a routine Sunday drive. I'm not talking about seeing how fast I can go, just how the car drives. Torque through the gears, shiftability, that sort of thing. I'm not sure how to quantify, but I am looking for less shifting and smooth power on acceleration.

* Ease of use. I'll do photos and my experience installing the chip. I'm interested to know just how much work it will take to install.

* Funability. Since impressions are often more powerful that reality, just what are we getting? An impression that the car is more "fun" would be a big plus for me. We'll see...

Comments? What else can I attempt to quantify? What do you want to know?

Regards, Danz C4
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2006, 03:23 PM
rodders
Racer

Danz C4
i have just got my ProMAX chip and will look at fitting it over the weekend - starting to night - being a total DIY jerk I am expecting to call my mechanic - but I am in the mood to get cold in a london garage.
Andrew supplies a photo graphic direction sheet that is very good - but the first issue is to undo the evil looking plug on the front - then the job its self
Andrew makes it as simple as possible - list of tools etc - 10mm socket and two screw drivers seem to be the basic tool kit.
I will let you know how i get on with pics if I can - I look forward to your experience
i have a 1989 C2 that I bought new - it currently has a very recent rebuild, a LW fly wheel, K&N in a drilled box, bypass pipes, Bilsteins and Eibacks
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I put my MAF on two years ago, I laughed out every time I stepped on the throttle. So yes, I could tell a difference!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Andrew,
I am afraid you are not right about the 993 MAF.The 993 uses hot film as well. The HFM5 is an update that allows accurate reverse flow measurement- needed in OBDII applications !

The 964 chip has maps for idle/part load/full load fuel and timing. Idle is very often not touched. Part load remap brings improved throttle response - Full load remap is about max bhp

To maybe confuse the situation there are a multiplicity of maps for all areas. The combination used depends on the country/cat,non cat , etc ecu coding .

This is the reason why if a chip is bought with the wrong map set modified for your DME coding , literally nothing happens !!!

This is one benifit of a "live " remap , as the map set being used can be easily verified with an In Circuit Emulator.

Bottom line is that if this remapping is done properly very good results come from the 964.

All the best

Geoff
Old 02-17-2006, 07:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Rodders,

When you install your chip could you please grab the camera and take some pics along the way?
I opened my DME up because I wanted to check which aftermarket chip was installed, but I didn't see any obvious way to seperate the sandwiched boards. And admittedly I didn't try that hard since it was mostly a point of curiosity.

With all this interest in this mew MAF unit and chip I may be curious enough to have a look, and if Marc's works out well I might look at putting one in. (Might as well now. I am into a 10k+ rebuild anyways)

Thanx
Kirk
Old 02-17-2006, 08:04 PM
rodders
Racer

KirkF - will do the photo thing and try to post
- the boards have a pin joining the boards - the instruction paper from Andrew is in the car - I will quote it tomorrow to be more accurate
- my motivation is curiosity - both in fitting the damn thing and in checking out the effect - you are a step ahead of me in opening Pandora's Box
- i feel a bit of an idiot when i read all the smart threads when I am wobbling on such a little thing as opening a box and swapping a chip
How does the plug come off - someone told me it opens like a door ?
I have a feeling that the MAF needs more engine mods to get the best out of it.
I am expecting the chip to be make the throttle response feel a little more open/responsive - and that is about it.
My car stalls when cold ( LWTFW ) but is fine when warm - so no problem - I dont expect to see anything there

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit