Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 10:11 PM
Shopcat
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to bid but I doubt it'll hit reserve.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:02 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,307 Posts

25k-mile Polar Silver ‘94 C2. Priced at $170k.

https://mart.pca.org/ads/57877
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 11:11 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
under 24 hours left and that red RS is still sitting at $56,964.
i guess the serious parties are waiting to show their interest, but this is crazy low right now.
with 56k miles, this is on the high side for mileage compared to recent BaT 964RS sales.
where does everyone see this ending up?
do others agree (with me) that this seems to be a repaint?
I figure the reserve is at least $200k and there is a chance it won’t get there. Car has probably had some paintwork. Seems more like a driver and should be a good example for someone that wants to use it as such. I would estimate this car is probably worth ~$250k. But very hard to say.

Last edited by RapidGT; 08-15-2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:37 PM
Shopcat
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I figure the reserve is at least $200k and there is a chance it won’t get there. Car has probably had some paintwork. Seems more like a driver and should be a good example for someone that wants to use it as such. I would estimate this car is probably worth ~$250k. But very hard to say.
I dont see how this car could possibly be worth $250k when looking at comps, unless the value of the "already imported convenience" is insane.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:37 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Right front wheel isn't right on that RS, it's like pushed forward.
looks fine.

under 24 hours left and that red RS is still sitting at $56,964.
i guess the serious parties are waiting to show their interest, but this is crazy low right now.
with 56k miles, this is on the high side for mileage compared to recent BaT 964RS sales.
where does everyone see this ending up?
do others agree (with me) that this seems to be a repaint?
people are doing what they always should do on these auctions….waiting until closer to the end to start bidding. Why draw attention to it and also get other bidders excited early on? This one will go crazy in the last hours.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I have seen crazier prices. It appears to be a clean well optioned original last year 964 C2 I don't see why someone won't pay up for it.

Based on who is selling my guess is it has had extensive work at one time. There is no way to trace the past on these imports. Most all I have seen have had swapped out or rolled back odo and fresh lipstick. Who is to say otherwise? I suspect the reserve is not so high as they want the car to move and price is a huge motivator irrespective of its past.

GL
Old 08-16-2022, 11:48 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

i don't think the market is that strong at the moment, but i also wouldn't sell it for much less. owner should hold out, if possible. a '94 C2 in polar with 25k miles and all original paint is pretty damn hard to duplicate, if at all. very few cars left in that condition/mileage. the only downside is the pleated leather - least desirable for most people.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:50 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

i would categorize this as a 'driver' RS and that's a good thing in many ways. 5 hours to go and still just at $80k. this thing needs to get moving or i'm going to have to bid.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:03 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

Shame that Polar Silver 94 hasn't been driven more.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:15 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I had an interesting exchange with an appraiser yesterday; I am having to get an appraisal for Safeco to continue at the agreed value we have had for the past year. $120,000. My car has 165,000 miles, it doesn't look it, the "story" is (and I spoke with her) a fairly wealthy lady from Austin Tx, liked to drive the car to her home in Palm Desert, hence the miles. Other than me I doubt anyone was ever in the back seat, no accidents and no rust anywhere. I did the motor recently but have in the past done pretty much everything else mechanically; oil lines, fuel lines, suspension, brakes, AC etc. etc. We all have the same list right? Being Cobalt blue over a Cobalt Blue interior I thought the car is worth as much as a lower mileage car in the 60k-80k miles range, given that mileage usually means some money needs to be spent, and soon. Here was his response:

At the end of the day the car market is defined by miles, and this is true when you get into collector cars that are six figures because now you are talking investment level, and that’s when it changes from a cool car to drive and have fun with, to a serious investment and those guys will not buy a car with over 100k miles on it no matter what because a low mile car will always have the better upside, you can fix everything else but you cant fix miles. You can figure the mileage adjustment is about 20 to 25 cents per mile, so that’s $20k to $25k adjustment on a 65k mile car to a 165k mile car. The engine rebuild is kind of expected for a car with 165k miles on it, so while a fresh engine has some value it doesn’t add its cost $25k value to a car and as that rebuild ages when warranties run out it becomes just a service / maintenance item.

Colours are always a subjective matter, people love black cars, I have owned several and personally I detest them, I appraised a bright mint green 964 which was one of only 2 or 3 made so that car was more than a regular colour on the flip side a couple of years ago I sold my Racing Green 550 Maranello which was one of only 3 in the US and each one had different colour interiors, so it was one of one and the market didn’t really care, I didn’t get more for it due to the colour.

But its all about the miles and another thing is original paint is a significant factor on a Porsche that’s a 15% to 20% difference in value if a car has completely original paint vs one with a couple of repainted panels. I am finding a lot of insurance companies are requiring appraisals as they don’t want to be over exposed.

Thoughts?
Old 08-16-2022, 04:00 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

Insurance companies aren't going to many bets....
Old 08-16-2022, 04:37 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
Insurance companies aren't going to many bets....
I mean thoughts about what the appraiser wrote, not about insurance.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:46 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

@misterbeverlyhills I would say this car destroys his ramblings, expired warranty, unknown mileage, full respray and a rebuilt engine, what a POS, lol... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-speedster-11/
The following users liked this post:
sooner964 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 07:08 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

@misterbeverlyhills I think it depends. For newer cars with plentiful supply, the appraiser is probably not too far off the mark. For older cars with more demand than apparent supply, I think low miles and original paint help, but are not the only driving force. There's been several examples of 964s of various mileage and paint quality selling for similar values in the past six months. Originality, both in terms of low miles and pain, probably are better measures of Condition 1 concours collector car values. I think demand/hype also play into defining what the market currently is. I think lack of accident history and body work are what are possibly more valuable, and perhaps that is implied to go along with low mileage and/or original paint. I personally don't have an issue with high quality re-sprays so long as the work is well documented and done correctly. My 31 year old Guards Red paint is original, but it has 130k miles of paint chips and dings as well other imperfections. Given the fact that it is generally a good thing to find a car that has at the very least had the top-end rebuilt, or even better yet a full engine rebuild by a reputable shop, I don't understand why re-sprays are seen as a negative factor. I wouldn't mind having fresh paint at some point. I don't believe that every pre-war car on the concours lawn is original paint at this point, but I'm sure they are insured for a healthy amount. I think the market also pays a premium for cars that have well documented histories. I think mileage is more important for newer cars because it gives a sense of how much wear and tear it has endured in its life. A 30 year old car with 100k miles is not necessarily the same as a 10 year old car with 100k miles. Just some of my thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

i don't think the market is that strong at the moment, but i also wouldn't sell it for much less. owner should hold out, if possible. a '94 C2 in polar with 25k miles and all original paint is pretty damn hard to duplicate, if at all. very few cars left in that condition/mileage. the only downside is the pleated leather - least desirable for most people.

The ad is no longer up so looks like the market has not changed for cars like these. I don't see any slowing in the pristine examples and well setup cars, the rest are stagnating. Interesting I prefer the supple leather seating in some of my cars but not in the ones I drive the hardest. For this car i doubt it will be driven hard more like hardly driven. I have supple in my turbo and my 928 GTS and wouldn't trade it for the standard leather.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices