Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pending projects and a few q?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:08 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I've replaced those lines and they are a huge pain in the rear...not much room at all by the oil tank!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe I am feeling this way Jaime...but I need you to stop working on the 964 and get back to work on the SC! The 'Transformation' thread is one of my all-time Rennlist favorites!

Seriously, great pics and rather you than me!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Always have to shop around... usually Sunset has the best prices when it comes to some of these parts... this time around, for the big oil line (964.207.252.14) Pelican Parts was less expensive (in the tune of US$115.00 ! ) and the bonded rubber buffers were half... everything else was less at Sunset.

Anyway... just to share that bit of info. Always have to check back and forth between vendors... there was a time that the bundle that VertexAuto had for the Distributors cap and rotor was the best... today I made the comparison and Pelican had a better deal (same manufacturer) for those...

Everything should be here by the 28 of this month to keep working (and hopefully finish) on it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 38D
I've replaced those lines and they are a huge pain in the rear...not much room at all by the oil tank!
I found that removing #30 and getting the nuts of the oil tank support loose, helped a lot.... but I also remember loosing some blood the first time I put that #30 in place...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I can't believe I am feeling this way Jaime...but I need you to stop working on the 964 and get back to work on the SC! The 'Transformation' thread is one of my all-time Rennlist favorites!

Seriously, great pics and rather you than me!
It is sad... just like how you see it in the photos, I take the SC for a spin around the block everytime I need to move it to work on the 964. Something about how these old cars feel... just can't explain it, I love it! Can't wait either to finish that project... I am seriously considering just doing enough to make it street worthy and using it like that for now...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
It is sad... I am seriously considering just doing enough to make it street worthy and using it like that for now...
No, no, no....this is simply all wrong. Jaime, you should know by now that you have a responsibility to keep us all entertained and enthralled. You can't start a project, or indeed a thread like that, without committing to giving us a regular fix to sate our craving. Just go look at some pictures of widebody racers painted tangerine and all will become clear to you again....
Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Still waiting for a few hoses to arrive from Sunset... in the mean time the oil line I order from Pelican is here

and the stuff that Rennline Group-buy made me get...

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

The rest of the parts came in (small oil hoses). It is "get this project finished" time! Hoping to have it back on the road by Sunday so that I can take it to the dealer for the alignment.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Oil lines replaced. I was very afraid to take the header out, last thing I needed was a broken exhaust bolt. But everything came out fine. I put some anti seize compound since I know I will take all this out in the future to either put it a new exhaust system or just do a complete cleaning, remove the shields and tins to clean and powdercoat (or at least paint them).

Now it is time to put it all back. Exhaust is in, side cover is in. 9 qts of oil are in, once I turn on the car I will add the rest. Can't wait to get it back on the road.

Some random photos of the work done.

Complete exhaust must me remove to get to the oil line.

Old line:

New line in place:

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

More photos of the new line:

Installing everything back:

Now to get the heater blower and airbox installed, bleed the clutch (new slave hose/line in place), and start the car...

Still have the clutch pin, door catchers, and the stuff from Rennline I need to install. But at this point I just want the car driveable again so I can get it align and corner balanced.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I just finished replacing the clutch pedal pin and bushings... Old pin looked fine. And one of the plastic bushings looked like it had been replaced in the past, but the other one really needed to be replaced.

So, in my case, after changing the hose and bleeding, it cured the problem. I am not sure that the clutch pin and bushing replacement did anything to it... oh well, at least I know those are new.

Clutch is back to being butter smooth and, as a bonus, I found the little plastic plug that covers the hole in the door panel... it was hiding behind the foot pedal assembly...

Also installed the Rennline parts I got. I will save the wood panel, that was behind the foot pedals, as a memento.

Door catchers are also in place.

I drove the car so that the suspension settles. Ride height is way to low after the drive. I need to put it back on the lift to raise the height... 1" more in front and 1 1/4 " more in the back... but it rides soooo nice, way better than before. Wooohooo!

Upload Photos function is not working, I will upload photos once they get that fixed...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime, thanks for all your updates and photos makes great reading.

Is there anything left of the original car.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Crystal Cranks
... Is there anything left of the original car.

at this rate, very little... I just placed an order for the A-Arm bushings Chris makes. Might as well do that before the alignment.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find the two resistance points on the door catchers were very stiff, I had to take my new ones apart to trim back the rubber wedges to free them out a bit.

Quick Reply: Pending projects and a few q?