Sponsored by:

My 964 Slow Refresh Diary

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 12:29 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I just read through this entire build thread. What a journey! The hands-on work is admirable.

interesting to see that you went with 993 longitudinals. I see you wanted to widen the track. I went down this same path a few years ago when installing the MCS 2 ways, to avoid notching the strut towers. I’m in the process of tearing down the front suspension to go back to the 964 side members. Doh. The 993 longitudinals pushed the wheels too far outboard making it impossible for to run wider than 225 up front. I’m tired of feeling the front end getting pushed around, so it’s back to the 964 longitudinals to get to 245 up front.

I note you had to swap to a 993 ARB. I don’t recall doing that, but if so I’m going to have to unwind that as well.

Thanks for posting the work here. Great stuff.
I wanted the wider track and also figured since wider tires would require new wheels anyways I'd sort out fitment issues through offset at that time. That being said, I think I'd be able to get plenty of camber with the 964 longs without notching anything using these camber plates - I'm at -2.5 with the plates pretty much in the middle of their range. I'll put it on my friends alignment rack at some point and see how far I can push it.

With respect to the ARB, I had at one point speculated that I'd require a 993 part but this didn't end up being necessary. I went with H&R aftermarket sway bars but they are a 964 part.

Tom
Old 06-23-2024, 12:54 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomfun
I wanted the wider track and also figured since wider tires would require new wheels anyways I'd sort out fitment issues through offset at that time. That being said, I think I'd be able to get plenty of camber with the 964 longs without notching anything using these camber plates - I'm at -2.5 with the plates pretty much in the middle of their range. I'll put it on my friends alignment rack at some point and see how far I can push it.

With respect to the ARB, I had at one point speculated that I'd require a 993 part but this didn't end up being necessary. I went with H&R aftermarket sway bars but they are a 964 part.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

I was also considering new wheels, to possibly gain 10mm or so pushing the wheels inboard. In the long run, it seemed like swapping back to the 964 longitudes would keep things simpler.

I’m told Cary has newly designed camber plates that largely eliminate the need for notching. I’m guessing you have the “newly” designed plates. We could only get to about -1.5 before fouling the towers with the older version camber plates. I should probably just buy the new ones, but my mechanic is familiar with the process, as he already has a few notches on his gun.

Thanks for confirming the 964 ARB. Thats one less thing I need to worry about this week!

Jim
Old 06-23-2024, 01:14 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Here's a photo of where things sit now on my car with the 993 longitudinals at -3.0 camber Right square in the middle. But the 964 longitudinals left me handcuffed at -1.5, as it pressed against the inboard limits. This is what led me to the 993 side members...

-3.0 camber with 993 longitudinals

Old 07-01-2024, 07:59 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

I previously had a rennline strut brace, but the new ground control camber plates have a provision for a brace to bolt directly. I bought a swaged aluminum rod and a couple rod ends for a total of about $40 and bolted it all up.

Next issue to tackle is sorting out the abs issue I'm having. When coming to a stop slowly at a stop sign, I can feel/hear the abs coming on. I suspect an issue with using the 964 front abs wheel sensors on the 993 uprights. I have some 993 abs sensors on the way to hopefully resolve the issue.

Tom
Old 07-02-2024, 08:05 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

you have to have 993 sensors on a 993 upright. The sensor is positioned in a different angle compared to a 964.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:23 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
you have to have 993 sensors on a 993 upright. The sensor is positioned in a different angle compared to a 964.
True- they are 90 degrees out.

Pete
Old 07-02-2024, 12:41 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Yes I know they're clocked 90° different but I've heard reports of the 964 units working successfully. 993 units are quite expensive so I was trying to avoid replacing if possible. As long as they fix the issue I'm having, no worries.

Tom

Old 07-06-2024, 11:47 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 264 Posts

Yes, it was a shocker when I saw the prices of the ABS sensors...

General question, kinda sorta OT. I see a lot of people choose top mounts/camber plates from various manufacturers. Anything inherently wrong with Rennline units?
Old 07-08-2024, 09:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702

General question, kinda sorta OT. I see a lot of people choose top mounts/camber plates from various manufacturers. Anything inherently wrong with Rennline units?
The tarrett, ERP units are a direct copy of the OE 993RS top hats except they have a curved design that doesn't impact caster when adjusting camber. The rennline or other similar designs don't have this feature.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:34 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702

I have the Tarret/ERP mounts. I have a newer design as Foxman mentioned in his thread I won't have to notch the tower to get more camber. On initial setup the camber was at - 3 degrees. I've since adjusted to -2.3 to 2 degrees

Old 07-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Quick Update: I ordered the 993 sensors (Hamburg-Technic made versions as they were so much cheaper) - I don't love the quality but they get the job done. Installed them in place of the 964 versions and took them for a test drive and it has solved my ABS at low speed issue, so thats good.

What's not so good is while installing them, I noticed the passenger side Elephant Racing drop link has completely failed. The steel sleave that is pressed in or epoxied in or whatever to the aluminum body has separated. I emailed them and haven't heard back yet, but I'm unimpressed to say the least. I'll be refreshing the originals to replace these asap.

Tom
Old 07-08-2024, 11:12 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Man that's a surprise. The Tarett/ERP units are very simple- just 2 him joints and an aluminum rod. Less stuff to fail for sure:

Old 07-08-2024, 11:15 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Yes, that would be my preferred solution but I have a C4 so the link needs to go around the drive shaft.

Tom
Old 07-09-2024, 11:49 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomfun
Quick Update: I ordered the 993 sensors (Hamburg-Technic made versions as they were so much cheaper) - I don't love the quality but they get the job done. Installed them in place of the 964 versions and took them for a test drive and it has solved my ABS at low speed issue, so thats good.

What's not so good is while installing them, I noticed the passenger side Elephant Racing drop link has completely failed. The steel sleave that is pressed in or epoxied in or whatever to the aluminum body has separated. I emailed them and haven't heard back yet, but I'm unimpressed to say the least. I'll be refreshing the originals to replace these asap.
Tom
Hmm i read a post on the Porsche 964 facebook page about this issue. Not sure if it was you. This is like the third maybe fourth report i've heard about these. Will definitely stick to oem given the lack of quality
Old 07-09-2024, 06:25 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
Hmm i read a post on the Porsche 964 facebook page about this issue. Not sure if it was you. This is like the third maybe fourth report i've heard about these. Will definitely stick to oem given the lack of quality
It wouldn't have been me on Facebook. I complain about the quality compared to the original 964 units (plastic body vs metal body) but I don't know that there's actually anything wrong with it, just not sure it will last another 35 years.... I'm not nearly as concerned about the quality of this piece vs the failed drop link.

Tom

Quick Reply: My 964 Slow Refresh Diary