Sponsored by:

My 964 Slow Refresh Diary

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 05:13 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would need to compare them side by side but I don't believe they made a 20.64mm MC that works with the electro hydraulic system and AFAIK the 20.64 wasn't introduced until the C2 in 90. Although the only way to know is to check. You can probably pick up second hand MC's from Autobahn from Singer builds.
It would appear that I have the same part number that was identified as the very early smaller MC (964.355.025.52). I'll hunt around for a replacement, ideally the RS variant (964.355.903.80).

Last edited by Tomfun; 09-13-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I am not sure it is anything unique. I removed the same part number from my 90 C4 which was mid year production and IIRC when I measured it was a 23.81. The part is now superseded and finding info on them is not easy but all the info I have points to these being 23.81 for all C4's.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:57 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 264 Posts

So youuuuu got my uprights?
Old 09-22-2022, 02:10 AM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

I discovered a hairline crack on one of the blades of my engine fan. I'd originally planned an engine beautification session for the winter where I would remove and coat the fan and housing, however this discovery led to some more immediate work.

I ordered a new fan, received a damaged one, ordered again and received a suitable one. Tonight I went about installing. Everything was going so well.....and then snap....

On my car the fan pulley doesn't use the more common pan head screw, but rather these little studs that screw into the fan and accept a nut to hold the pulley on. After coercing the studs out of the old fan and transferring them to the new, one snapped while I was tightening the nut. Torque was very low so I suspect I must have damaged it while trying to remove it from the old fan. As a result, replacement is on hold with little bits all over the garage floor until I can find some suitable pan heads to secure the pulley with....

More to come
Tom
Old 09-22-2022, 08:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Sadly those old style studs do that. I have a few in stock from similar experiences but use the pan heads instead, they hold up better. It is discouraging but these are 30+ year old cars and stuff will break when it was never removed before. I assume you are replacing the belts as well and check the bearing on the belt sensor while at it they have tendency to fail over time as well.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:14 AM
Oberst
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like your description of "porous" paint on the hood. I have the same issue on my guards red 993. BTW I think you did a great job on the paint. Car looks great!
Old 09-22-2022, 10:07 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Alright, she's all back together and running well. I left the shims as they were before, but I notice the fan belt seems slightly less tight than the alternator belt - does anyone use the fancy belt tension measurement tool or just go by feel? Nothing appears to be slipping so I don't really know if I need to mess around with it anymore.

The one puzzling thing is, what does bolt 10 in the diagram below bolt to? It was just sitting there loose in my car and there is no obvious place it should bolt into. The other 3 compressor bolts go into the square nuts, but I don't know where this one is going....

Old 09-23-2022, 05:19 AM
uli1266
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

No. 10 should bolt to one of the square nuts (No. 11), should be 4 of them. It secures part no. 7.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:06 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Wow, over a year since I've updated this....What can I say, I've been busy and haven't worked on the car as much as I'd hoped.... but I have been driving it a fair amount, so thats good.

Anyways, a few updates. Everything is running well, but I find myself slowly sliding down a very slippery slope.

First up, gave the car a good spring cleaning, and got a little carried away with removal of bumpers/rocker panels etc, but I also wanted to check that there were no rust shenanigans happening anywhere. I'm happy to report everything was clean (well, became clean).

Next project I had in the works is the intake. I picked this spare unit up off a fellow rennlister and figured I would refurb it on the bench in order to swap it into my car quickly when the time came. Utilized the intake madness thread for a few tips and before long it was fully disassembled...

This isn't going to be a speedy refresh though, I sent all the hardware off to be plated while I agonize about what color to paint the throttle body and intake plenums. After doing all this I have concurrently started piecing together a GT3 plenum with e-throttle solution which will eventually replace this, but we'll see how long that takes me to sort out as there are a lot of pre/post requisites (stand alone ECU with new harness etc).

Meanwhile, because I don't have enough unfinished projects I found a set of 993 calipers to transplant into the car. Why? Because I found a single used 993RS upright locally on craigslist and decided I'd go all the way with it... more on that later. Calipers were looking pretty rough, especially the fronts, so I tore them down. I think I've posted about these plans previously, but anyways its been over a year.

I've also picked up 993 subframe pieces off ebay and similar so the bushing work could be completed without the car being out of service for an extended period of time. Between brake hardware, suspension hardware and intake hardware I had enough stuff to take to the platers for plating in gold cad. I also had the same place powder coat the calipers in red.

And its back....very happy with the results, everything fresh and clean. I'm running out of excuses to not get things done.

Calipers came back from powder coating in halves to be assembled with the plated hardware - very very happy with the results. I know having the hardware gold instead of painted is not factory but neither is this setup, so whatever. New seals and dust boots all around, and the front calipers got new pistons as well since the previous ones look to have been marred from sloppy removal at some point.

Test fitted some of the subframe and control arm pieces together. Andreas's superb work on the control arm refresh is so good its making the NOS 993RS uprights look a bit 2nd class....I'll probably have to fix that before it goes on the car.

So, without really finishing much I started a new project. My AC works and blows cold, however the compressor bearing sounds like its shot so it makes a terrible noise while its running. I decided to get a spare unit from Mike and Autobahn and it seems to be in really nice shape. I wanted to reseal it before it goes on the car though, as I don't want to have to deal with it after. I referred to RicardoD's excellent thread on the subject and everything went smoothly.

All reassembled with the exception of the manifold. I want to re-route my AC lines through the back of the engine bay, so I've ordered a manifold for a John Deere tractor that I think will allow the lines to go straight back....we'll see.

So that's it for now. As far as the suspension etc refresh, ready to go are the following:
- ERP rear spring plates
- Elephant Racing drop links front and rear
- H&R Sway Bars front and rear
- 993RS uprights with new wheel bearings
- 993 brakes front and rear (still need new front rotors, racingbrake probably)
- Front control arms blasted and with fresh bushings. Subframes too.
- 993RS Tie Rods
- Probably some other stuff in boxes that I've forgotten about

Outstanding items:
- Trailing arms need new bushings and wheel bearings
- Need to decide on coilovers and camber plates
- I want to shoot all the aluminum with 2K clear before it goes on the car

All that plus the AC line relocation and refreshed intake will conclude phase 1 I think. Phase 2 will be GT3 intake conversion with standalone ECU and e-throttle. I'd like to say next year, but realistically I'm not moving very quickly...

Thats all for now.

Tom

The following 7 users liked this post by Tomfun:
964Luftballoon (10-11-2023), kos11-12 (12-15-2023), No_snivelling (10-13-2023), Peteinjp (10-12-2023), Spyder_2011 (10-11-2023), Trapps (10-16-2023), ZG862 (10-11-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-16-2023, 10:39 PM
Trapps
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a ton for all of your detailed documentation and pics.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:20 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing it all.

John
Old 12-12-2023, 12:48 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

I'm now in final parts collection....MCS 1WNR with Ground Control Camber/Caster plates arrived.

I also picked up a pair of RacingBrake two piece rotors for the conversion to 993 spec. I have new bushings for the trailing arms and a spare set of arms that I need the bushings installed in, and after that I just need to sort through all the boxes of parts and make sure I have everything. As I pull hardware off the car I'll prep it for cad plating and have that done before it goes back on. I'm still undecided about leaving the brake m/c alone or changing to the RS variant....I'm thinking I'll leave it alone and see how it feels. Work will begin in the new year. I'll be pulling the Bilstein HD + H&R setup off if anyone is interested in it, has about 3k miles on it.

In other news, I bought a back up car so I don't feel rushed to complete the job...she's cosmetically a bit of a mess but I'll get her sorted out soon enough... Its a pretty fun drive and has a higher WAF than the 964. Don't look at the lip, its been replaced already.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 12-12-2023, 01:00 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Awesome progress. Question regarding your suspension setup. I'm planning to go with some MCS 1WNR as well. I didn't realize Ground made products for our car. What made you choose thosel over say Rennline? I'm currently debating between Rennline vs Tarrett.

Edit: what springs did you go with as well?
Old 12-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
Awesome progress. Question regarding your suspension setup. I'm planning to go with some MCS 1WNR as well. I didn't realize Ground made products for our car. What made you choose thosel over say Rennline? I'm currently debating between Rennline vs Tarrett.

Edit: what springs did you go with as well?
A couple things made me choose GC - I liked the caster adjustment option, the strut mount point is higher so you can have more travel if you plan on running the car low (which I do), and lastly they supply the coils as well so they ship everything assembled and together. I went with rennline top mounts for the rears and had them shipped to GC prior to assembly.

Springs are Eibach 440/650lb, recommended by MCS. Might be a bit stiff, we'll see.

Tom

Last edited by Tomfun; 12-12-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Tarrett allows for better caster adjustment and is based off the factory RSR designs with more adjustment. i would opt for 2 WNR instead. I did this and find i have greater control over my adjustments and am not locked into what the single adjustment offers.

IMO you will be way to stiff for street driving with 440/650 I went with 400/500 and 225 pound tenders which soften up the bad roads a lot. I was considering dropping down to a softer spring but as I make more adjustments I find I am enjoying it as is.

Last edited by cobalt; 12-12-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: My 964 Slow Refresh Diary