Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So I am considering interior changes but not sure what to do. I was initially thinking black vs the cashmere. I have to stop calling it tan after looking at the swatches for tan it is a very different color. I have black Sportster CS seats but they could be dyed. I have access to all the interior materials for every import and there are some interesting choices. Although I am a fan of vinyl for durability leather is always nice and then there is the grain options and so many other patterns.

This might take a while. The book is nearly 10" thick with about 25 sections like this.

Yes its a lot of choices. I went through a few of these books myself. You have to do this in increments over a few weeks. Having all the choice in the world is the worst choice to have. Mercedes has some of the best choices, but so does Aston and Ferrari if you can get their sample books. Assuming you are not going to go with black, I am favoring cashmere , cork hue.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Yes its a lot of choices. I went through a few of these books myself. You have to do this in increments over a few weeks. Having all the choice in the world is the worst choice to have. Mercedes has some of the best choices, but so does Aston and Ferrari if you can get their sample books. Assuming you are not going to go with black, I am favoring cashmere , cork hue.
Funny you say that. I am leaning towards a Mercedes Dark blue leather with a grain that matches the 964 dash for the door cards and side panels. Still bouncing back and forth on what I will do as far as RS carpet vs rear seat etc. Pros and cons to both and I am not so concerned about weight loss. I am looking for subtle changes although my son keeps pushing for a more contrasting gray with a hint of green which my wife hates but the decision is mine.

I don't want to go crazy I did compare the sliver knit carpet. Funny all these years I thought my turbo carpet was black but it is actually black with gray. That is why I always see these gray hairs in the carpet which I think I have had deductions for at some concours events since it never looks perfectly black. I am thinking of basic black carpet. Boring I know but I like how it never looks worn or is easier to keep clean. That darn OCD.

As far sa progress I reworked the leaking transmission seal. More of PITA than I expected. I also found that I had the incorrect guide tube installed by the PO for the flywheel. The RS flywheel uses a different guide tube it is slightly wider OD and is longer. Possibly the culprit for the failed seal. The LSD is out and I am contemplating swapping the 993 Giken LSD for the 964 ZF unit. I hear they are much better and they last longer billet vs cast iron housing. I was speaking with Matt and he said he can rebuild the Giken from a 2 plate to 4 plate and make it work for the street and then swap a GT LSD into the track car. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I have to say trans oil mixed with clutch material is one PITA to clean. It took a long time to remove about 3/8" of crud from the bell housing.

So I am moving onto getting the engine into the track car. Too many projects going on at once, but it keeps me busy.

Installed the MCS three way canistered shocks in the rear of the track car yesterday. It was a tough decision where to mount the canisters for both looks and accessibility. So far I mounted them on the cross members of the roll cage but might move them to the uprights in the foreground.

The car is a mess since it is being worked on and the rear window is coming out and being replaced with one without a hole. I hope to have the engine in by tomorrow so we can start on the exhaust and intake. The engine will be in and out a few times to complete this.

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 273 Posts

Having previously owned a C4 widebody in Amazon with cashmere, I think that the cognac / mahogany color leather would look stunning. If you were to cover the lower door panels in the same with black dash, door tops and carpet they would work nicely together.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Having previously owned a C4 widebody in Amazon with cashmere, I think that the cognac / mahogany color leather would look stunning. If you were to cover the lower door panels in the same with black dash, door tops and carpet they would work nicely together.
Interesting. Do you have a specific manufacturer's color in mind? There are a lot of similar colors.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

@cobalt where did you source the rear glass without a hole? And did you decide to go with the 964 third brake light or upgrade to the 993 third brake light?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 273 Posts

Interesting. Do you have a specific manufacturer's color in mind? There are a lot of similar colors.
No, I was just referencing the pictures you posted of the Mercedes interior options. Perhaps an interesting option would be Tarpan with houndstooth centers to resemble the 911R? From your comment there are seemingly all options available to you and I'm happy to help with the design if you wish.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
@cobalt where did you source the rear glass without a hole? And did you decide to go with the 964 third brake light or upgrade to the 993 third brake light?
They are still available through Porsche and run around $900 each. You can get it without the brake light with the raised brake light or the LW RS version all about the same cost. I decided even though I hate the 964 raised third brake light to stay with it as the 993 one IMO doesn't look correct on these. I am going for the subtle changes.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
No, I was just referencing the pictures you posted of the Mercedes interior options. Perhaps an interesting option would be Tarpan with houndstooth centers to resemble the 911R? From your comment there are seemingly all options available to you and I'm happy to help with the design if you wish.
Got ya. I have time on this I am not sure what to do. I already have a full black leather interior bits but I am thinking of doing something different but not as dramatic as some of the ones I see here. They are all nice but I want it too look stockish to the unsuspecting.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I am waiting on Pino. He just finished 2swooshs cup car work. I have no doubt he will be posting but he did an amazing job.

I was hoping to meet up with him today but I finally got my engine in the track car and I need to start taking measurements to order the rest of the parts I need to finish the IC and exhaust today.

I can't believe I am actually going to get back on track (pun intended) with this project. Once i get the intake finalized I can finish the cleaning of the plenums which are still quite rough. I will need to drop the engine again but at least I am going in the right direction with this one.

Everybody enjoy the holiday weekend I might be offline for a while but who knows.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

dual post

Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Looks like a work of art!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I really need to start a thread for the track car part 2 but will post here for now.

Today we cut the roof off the C2. This will be painful to watch but know it is in good hands. Will learn some new things about how these are assembled.

Meanwhile I have finished the MCS 3WC suspension in the track car and I am beginning to set the ride height but have to get the engine finished first. Driving the car to settle the suspension is a must before alignment. I suspect it will settle a bit but I can adjust ride height up or down in about equal increments but for now this is how it sits. I will also be swapping out the front uprights to GT3 RS/EVO but need to figure out how to use the beefier front 993 hubs with 964 ABS ring first. The other option is a completely different ABS system preferably 4 channel vs the 964's 3. A lot of changes going on at once. I just signed up for Watkins Glen at the end of July. I hope to be ready and that the event will actually happen.

I am always amazed by what I find reputable shops have done to my car. I did not install the front suspension and will leave that alone but not sure how you can cross thread a 10.9 14mm bolt but somehow they did. What a job to remove this even the high impact air tools couldn't remove it. Spent quite some time with a long breaker bar an and a lot of brute strength to remove it.

The engine has a long way to go. I need to pull and cap off the distributor and mock-up the exhaust turbos will sit off to the sides this time ala 993TT and I will be using the factory exhaust openings with WG dump pipes either side. Pino is painting my RS center bumper section so it will look correct RSR spec.
It is amazing how little droop there is to the suspension.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

These arrived today.

Thanks Rob

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
GentlemanRacer (05-29-2020), RicardoD (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

These arrived today.

Thanks Rob

Ain’t they pretty dam I’m jealous
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Dem some darn pretty wheels mister!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So as usual there are delays. So I am spending more time on the track car until we get started on cutting. So with all due respect as not to offend but we are having a BLM rally near the shop and my home so fingers crossed it stays civilized. Bad enough with all the rest going on.

I have completed the front MCS install finally took my time to figure a way to run the lines. I don't like the typical cut the top of the shock tower and run them past the springs so I decided to go through underneath the tank into the tub and mount them on the cross brace.

The EVO/RS uprights and tie rods go in next.

Mounted a spare on one of the rims to check offsets and color. Still not embracing the gold with maritime.

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??