Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:42 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Do it. Or if you don’t do it, he can do mine.
I agree, would be cool to send him my car as it could also use a re-psray.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:47 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

over here in germany you need the open roof. drving faster than 250 kmh gets uncomfortable then. so mine is always open to keep me „slow“ ...

(-;
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Pretty overwhelming response to the affirmative. I am torn but he said it will be done by mid May if I drop the car off by the end of the week. He is all excited to do the job and no doubt it will be fully documented. That is always a +. When Pino gets excited magic happens. I did the fenn lane roof on my track car and it looks so much better IMO than the Sunroof. This will be the factory skin which is a bit more involved. I have no worries regarding the headliner. I have helped him with a few and he knows all the tricks and his own little procedure to get it factory perfect without any stretching, elongating of the perforations or variations in the seams which is critical. It can't be rushed and takes several days to do correctly. It would be nice to have the extra headroom which is always limited. Even with my track car without a sunroof I have to remove the seat cushion in the race seats to fit without my helmet brushing up against the roof . Glad I kept all those RSA interior and other bits I had. Might have to consider some interior changes as well.

So I will be pulling the engine and trans later this week. Will do a full inspection valve lash and replace whatever is needed. Refresh the hardware etc. New clutch disc and who knows what else while I am at it.

Hello slippery slope we meet again.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (02-25-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:06 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I am going to be the person saying don't do it on a dark color car. Light color car is great like silver or white but gets too hot with a dark color as you lose the ability to blow out heat soaked air quickly.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:07 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Interesting point and makes me see a strategy that will only lead to more cool and more (altruistic) spend: Add tilt-out side windows! I know Rob G helped someone here do this to their 964, can't recall who but based on his description sounds like an excellent task to pay someone to do
Old 04-07-2020, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I am going to be the person saying don't do it on a dark color car. Light color car is great like silver or white but gets too hot with a dark color as you lose the ability to blow out heat soaked air quickly.
A very valid point although If it is that hot I will take the boxster and put the top down or be hanging by the pool. I haven't opened any of my sunroofs other than the one in the 928 in over 7 years other than to check and clean and then maybe once or so. I will reconnect the A/C which has been disconnected for quite some time. When I was younger with my SC's I always joked A/C was just rolling down the windows and driving faster that was with a triple black car. Although it didn't even have power windows.

Originally Posted by r-mm
Interesting point and makes me see a strategy that will only lead to more cool and more (altruistic) spend: Add tilt-out side windows! I know Rob G helped someone here do this to their 964, can't recall who but based on his description sounds like an excellent task to pay someone to do
I had the rear pop out windows on my early BMW's and 71 911E. I always wondered why they did away with it. IMO it was a great feature and kept the drag down and allowed you to crack the windows without all the noise and buffeting. Although the old cigarette windows of the american cars always allowed you to direct air at you while driving.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I had the rear pop out windows on my early BMW's and 71 911E. I always wondered why they did away with it. IMO it was a great feature and kept the drag down and allowed you to crack the windows without all the noise and buffeting. Although the old cigarette windows of the american cars always allowed you to direct air at you while driving.
Totally agree on the rear pop outs- great feature and in combo with the front door triangle windows made for great airflow though the cabin in my older cars (bmw 2002's.) That combo was way better than a sunroof! My 2002tii was more desirable at the time I picked it up with the sunroof. I had a carbed 2002 shell that I traded for the Tii sunroof shell and I always regretted it. I guess (Texan) I like shade.

Hmm- might have to find a way to do the triangle window and rear pop out with black trim......

Or maybe you could do it with Pino first!

Pete
Old 04-07-2020, 11:46 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 249 Posts

It's possible to install matching (invisible when closed) rear pop outs in a 964. Goughary and I did it on Beurer's car a few years ago.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 11:48 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

One of my least favorite part of the aircooled post longhood is the god awful buffeting. I have found no combo of windows and or sunroof that doesn't give me a headache at speed. Side windows FTW! Motorized for bonus points (didn't some E46s have motorized rear pop outs?)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

One of my least favorite part of the aircooled post longhood is the god awful buffeting. I have found no combo of windows and or sunroof that doesn't give me a headache at speed. Side windows FTW! Motorized for bonus points (didn't some E46s have motorized rear pop outs?)
My e46 M3 has motorized rear pop-outs.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

That is cool. How often does a "back date" (air quotes cuz that over used term kinda irks me) actually produce functional improvements!

Has anyone made the front triangles operate on a non longhood ?
Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 249 Posts

That is cool. How often does a "back date" (air quotes cuz that over used term kinda irks me) actually produce functional improvements!

Has anyone made the front triangles operate on a non longhood ?
Let's just say I know someone who's working on it... requires adapting a bunch of $$$ parts from an early car though.
I'm also not a fan of the buffeting, and I'm hoping that the RUF A-pillar inserts that I recently added will improve that situation.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

In the long long run the the sunroof delete will repay itself through reduced repair bills!
Go for it!

Love the clean look!
The following 2 users liked this post by Railmaster.:
kos11-12 (08-30-2020), paddlefoot64 (02-25-2021)
Old 04-07-2020, 11:22 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

There is no question ... Sunroof delete FTW!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

If you need the headroom it's a no brainer if not just leave it alone (if its 100% functional) and save/spend the extra funds for a necessity. If tomorrow's weather is decent I'm dropping off a car to Pino in the morning and Uber my way home (115 miles). Thanks for the referral Anthony!

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??