Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice work! Looks great and bet it smells lovely in there… new car smell!

That bulkhead reupholstering is difficult. I ended up using 6 rivets across the lower piece and then finished wrapping the padded leather backing. Made it a lot more stable and a bit more serviceable.

Oh… if your looking for gauge glass. I had this place cut tempered glass for all my gauges, including one for the speedo w odo hole. I think it was ~100$:

https://www.onedayglass.com/about-us/peninsula-glass/

Last edited by Ubipa; 11-09-2021 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cobalt (11-10-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 10:52 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

The car will be perfect when you're done.
Top work!
Old 11-10-2021, 09:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Thanks, I do enjoy seeing the progress. Now if I can just get the windshield installed I can be on to the rest of the work.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am getting a bit frustrated between parts not arriving and Pino being too busy to help install the windshield and rear window I have moved onto other projects.

I am currently working on the rear suspension. I had vapor honed a spare set of rear trailing arms I planed to use on this car. I also installed HD bushings and the elephant HD spring plate bushings into a spare set of spring plates i had lying around.

I used the earlier style rear hubs for now as I found they seem to be a bit more robust than the later round style. All new or fresh Cad plated (not Zinc) all around.

Here is what I have for now. I hope the windshield will be installed before I have to move onto other projects.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Happy New Year everyone. I wish everyone a great 2022. I still can't believe I am saying 22.

I am not a believer in Horriblescopes but last year said 2021 wouldn't be a good year for me. I guess it was true. I had my 29th, 30th and 31st cancer operation albeit minor. The shop I was assisting in hopes to invest in ended up being a major disappointment. Brilliant mechanics but if you don't produce it is just wasted brain power and talent. The environment became toxic so I am out and then I was lucky enough to get my booster the same time I contracted COVID so that was a nightmare that destroyed the entire holiday season. I am still not myself having some cognitive issues and lack of energy. Although the biggest problem has been Supply chain issues. My windshield came in a box marked 964 yet the windshield was for a 993. So that has been an ongoing PITA problem. Finally got Pino to swing by to help with the rear window and that ended up having a huge imperfection and that is another on hold issue. Couldn't get 993TT R front rotor so that delayed the suspension upgrade.

All the way from Germany and this is what you get. I am very glad I noticed it before it was installed completely.

I finally finished my gages. I am still looking for parts for the others i need to repair but these are done for now. All new vinyl to eliminate the holes and I sanded the bezels to give it a little pop after repairing all the gage faces which started to delaminate.

My wife and son were kind enough to buy me the Porsche PCCM radio for Xmas. Thankfully I had most of the interior apart so it simplified the install but in all honesty I am not impressed by Porsche's idea of a quality head unit, instructions and cheapness. All that money and the map micro SD card is optional and they give you connectors and no wiring harness. The Nackamichi head unit I had before was so much better sounding but this does offer features I can use since I rarely listen to music while driving a 911. The symphony sits behind me.

I made harnesses out of old factory wiring and some special wire I had inherited from my father-in-law who was an Engineer at Bell labs. He invented the touch tone phone and worked on the intercontinental phone lines while his twin brother resolved the signal delay issues for the Nike Zeus project which aided in telephone reception back in the 70's. He tested all sorts of wire and said this stuff was the best for audio signal but I doubt the few inches of wire will make a difference.

It took much longer than I expected since my harness in the car had been cut by a previous owner so I had to solder everything. Installing the GPS antenna under the rear shelf where they suggest worked fine. Thankfully I already had most of that apart. Installing the USB pod in the ashtray took some work and creativity but it is nice to be able to close the ashtray and have it all disappear and still run a wire through if needed.

Sadly for this car this is all that was accomplished these last few months.

Interior is done as much as I can complete. Without parts it makes the work difficult. I will put the engine back in and wait for the parts. Hopefully it will be ready by the time spring comes.

Rear shelf can't be installed until new windows arrive. Rear panels painted to match and recovered the rear shelf to remove the wiper opening.

Hopefully 2022 will be the year. It has been 2 long years of nothing but disappointments so maybe we will see some changes.

Meanwhile I don't expect that the track build (blue meanie) will be completed anytime soon. The plumbing work has taken far too long and I am running out of interest. I think once the C2 is done I am going for a long ride maybe cross country.

This is how the engine sits currently. It is a lot of effort to fit everything. These are the turbo/WG coolant and oiling lines which have become a bigger project than expected.

One side mostly done maybe we will see the other done in 2022??

Paolo1 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Happy new year, thank you for updating us. Many of us are facing the same issues - I'm sorry it didn't work out with the shop you were assisting, vast majority of shops really suck today - I haven't seen my 964 in over 18 months its just sitting in a shop disassembled, promise after promise from the shop to start work on what was at first a refresh that turned into a major rebuild of most mechanical systems. I cant get any bodywork done either the good shops are backed up months, years as well or retiring. My DIY/home garage projects are constantly delayed by parts shortages, ineptitude of vendors and shipping delays. If I'm lucky my 964 is finished some time this year so I can drive it a little and then get a competent shop to do the sunroof delete in 2022 but probably 2023. I also find the same issues with projects taking so long I am starting to loose interest combined with the constant discussion of and rise in prices for the cars it is taking some of the joy out of it.

Despite all of this I am sure 2022 will be a better year with less delays/issues/discussions of value and more driving. I hope the same for you, so can you get your projects done and take that cross country drive.
cobalt (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:33 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts

That cross-country trip or even a halfway dig sounds nice Anthony!
Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

With all air-cooled cars seeing such a pop in value, would it make sense to expect a trend toward more of them being maintained to a higher-level? If so, would you expect the few remaining decent shops to be even more inundated with business?
Old 01-06-2022, 08:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
That cross-country trip or even a halfway dig sounds nice Anthony!
I bet the Plaid would be a lot more comfortable LOL

Originally Posted by Paolo1
With all air-cooled cars seeing such a pop in value, would it make sense to expect a trend toward more of them being maintained to a higher-level? If so, would you expect the few remaining decent shops to be even more inundated with business?
​​​​​​Most definitely. The 964 (air-cooled in general) owner has morphed considerably these past years with a huge change in who is buying these air-cooleds and the depth of their wallets or at least willingness to pay. It wasn't since the mid 80's that we saw a spike in air-cooled 911 values. Along with the spike in value we have seen a huge change in how and what is being done to these cars. Very few used to spend the time or money to take them to the levels we are currently seeing. Back in 15 when I built my track car initially it was unheard of. Today it seems the sky's the limit.

Sadly I see very few decent shops these days and even the run of the mil are pricey and backed up. The bigger problem is that the old timers are all retiring and taking their secrets with them and many young mechanics have opened small shops and are capable of doing a good job but are just very poor businessmen or as I put it Men in Business. Doing quality work is only half the job. Managing time, jobs and customers is an entirely different skill set that I find most shops lack or even comprehend the importance. This results in car sitting for 18 months or more when the work could be completed in a month or less. There are also those that pray on the unknowing. Although the average owner on the forums is far more educated, than before. I see many who don't visit forums overpaying for these and opening their wallets for unnecessary work or in some cases paying for work that isn't being performed.

These cars are very different than modern cars of today and many buying are uninitiated to the pros and cons of these. Sadly they think if they spend $XXXk that they will get a car that doesn't need lots of tlc. These are 30 year old cars that were mostly worked on by shade tree mechanics for the first half of their lives or abandoned and cobbled back together for a quick flip or huge profits so each car is its own scenario of needs and most everyone starts modding before they cover all the basics which can add up quickly.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Slowly getting things done. Spent some time DAing more parts. We will plastic weld the holes for the license plate bracket in the front bumper and the rear motorized deck lid is getting done. This way I can swap back and forth if I choose to. I will also be DAing the Tech Art front splitter I was going to have it painted body color but my wife likes it black.

Cleaned up everything I could and finally getting the rear suspension completed.

I decided to go with the MCS after all so that is slowly being installed. I did as much research as I can but it doesn't seem to make a difference if the tender spring is top or bottom so I chose to put them on top this time. Keeps the dirt away from the compressed spring which might be of some help.

Grime from being at the body shop takes a lot of effort to clean.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:46 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Anthony

I feel your pain regarding the supply chain and the careless attitude. I had a few large purchases direct from Porsche and one recent shipment was delivered in a right mess, the freight driver wrote “crushed” on the deliver slip. It is no surprise that parts were damaged and missing from the shipment. I waited months and paid a few hundred bucks for shipping to get a crushed box

On a brighter note I received my 9.5” Cup 1s from Germany today and they look very nice and I got a free work out just lifting them to check the finish. They are no lightweights but they look so good on a 964.

Wishing everyone the best for 2022 and I hope we get to enjoy more gatherings this year.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Ouch that does suck. My friend is having this issue every day from all suppliers. Nobody cares anymore.

The Cups and speedlines are all boat anchors. But the best looking wheels for these cars and better than most of the aftermarket wheels that copy them. I ordered another set of speedlines. I hope I can get a set. I want to keep a spare set for my turbo.

GL getting that resolved. I am assuming it will be another 30 days or more for another to come in?
Old 01-21-2022, 12:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Slowly getting there. Still need the windshields which are screwing everything up. Drivetrain will get the LWF and new clutch installed, trans mounted I might get some help Sunday installing it then we are down to the wire. Sadly the snow and more so the ridiculous amount of salt they dumped on the roads will keep me from driving it much. I spent an exorbitant amount of time cleaning the shop dirt out of every crevice and detailing everything. My wife now says she wants to show it at parade this year. I wasn't planning on it being a concours car but I guess we will see if it stays this clean. The flash shows some of the cosmoline in the nooks and crannies I don't plan to clean.

My wheel liners were fine but I picked up some new ones and decided to use them.

Different angle

left side completed all I need to do is torque the nut to 335 ft pounds IIRC after engine is installed.

I decided to use the Fikse's although I have speedlines on order. The new Ti lug nuts do look clean and I like the matt finish.

Hours to clean everything and it appears my power steering reservoir is beginning to leak. I have had to replace several for friends recently. The new ones are all black so I am trying to source an adhesive to seal these that will withstand the fluid and heat.I can separate the two halves and try and see if they will reseal. I have a spare i am experimenting with.

Just need to install the right driveshaft and the right side is done today. Yeah!!!

I need to compile a list of what I've done.

Previously:

Big blacks 964 turbo rotors
Steering rack brace and upgraded bushings
Rothsport RS golden rod shifter
Techart steering wheel
Sportster CS seats
Strut brace
RSA wing
Fikse 18" 94 turbo sizes and offsets
RS sways front and rear

This project:

Sunroof delete using factory roof panel
new headliner
New gage face surround
Reworked gages
Removed cashmere carpet and seats replaced with New black Sliverknit carpet
Rear wiper delete
HD bushings all around
Vapor blasted suspension components
Newly yellow cad plated hardware throughout
Took rear quarters down to bare metal and painted roof, quarters, doors, front and rear bumpers
Techart fog light ducts.
Repainted techart front splitter went with black makes it easier to touch up.
MCS 2WNR suspension, eibach springs with tenders, Tarett top plates and rear monoballs
New door seals including felts
Painted trim.
Installed Porsche PCCM radio
Recovered and painted rear shelf
Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more. Lots of body shop dust
Replaced axles with older ones in good condition with new boots and grease. New axles are no longer hollow and a different design so I swapped these from another car.
New ducting and cleaned ventilation system

Engine:

Full leak down on engine. Solid 6% all cylinders so I did a full reseal for now.
All engine hardware replated
Installed 993 intakes
Painted fan
Rebuilt power steering pump
new fuel lines
New main seal and front seals
LWF

Transmission:

Factory LSD rebuilt
new front seal
New clutch
Replated all hardware

Needing to be completed:

Front, rear and side windows need installing
Interior lights installed
visors installed
Engine installed
Alignment
Flush all fluids new fuel filter
Rebuild power steering reservoir or replace

I am sure I overlooked some of what I did and there are other things needed.

Wish list:

Spare G50/03 short gears replacing G50/05 in car
Rebuild with ITB's and who knows what but not until needed.
993 front uprights I have with 993 tie rods but need 993 TT front rotors so I am going to hold off for now

I am sure I am forgetting a lot.

I started with a car that needed very little one of the cleanest I have seen and I turned it into a huge project. 60k+ miles on the odo the car was clean than most I see and now what I callover restored but I am happy to have it this way for now. When I started this two+ years ago it was an $85k car all day which was ll the money. I don't know if its worth more or less but it is what it is. I hope to get out and drive soon. Lets get winter over with I am going through air-cooled withdrawals.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-21-2022 at 12:16 PM.
sooner964 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Great work, really enjoying this thread.

Nice choice on the MCS, and Fiskes. Do check the barrels on the Fiskes if you drive on the roads here in New England. I’ve cracked two rear barrels in my 993. The milled roads (with razor sharp 3” lips) are largely to blame.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

These are fikse's from early 2000's. They no longer offer the finish I have which was painted metallic silver before machining. The barrels are also a little thicker material than the newer ones. These are known to crack barrels but being three piece it is nice that you can fix them. I damaged one of my speedlines years ago and I LOL not really but it was painful to see. Thankfully it was an easy fix.

Can't wait to get her up and running👍

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??