Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Beautiful. Just curious, once you have all of the hardware plated, how do you remember what goes where? Do you take pictures and catalog the hardware before sending out?

Mr. Wolfe
Most of it is memory. Although every now and again I forget. I do more 993 engines lately and they are a bit different. Actually simplified. Easy to forget something simple and have to do it twice. So long as I took it apart I usually can put it back together. If not I have so many pictures it is usually there someplace
Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ thanks I actually like that approach. Seams like an easier way to close the door. No issues with fabrication it is what i do. The door cards are perfect starting point if I decide to go Stereo delete or not or if I want to make them specific to my needs. Might consider a pouch to hold sunglass and stuff. This might satisfy all needs. Much appreciated.

Meanwhile the parts came back from the platers today. Much faster than expected. I just love this stuff. It is like jewelry. Still waiting on the new fuel lines, fan and sheet metal but it should be done soon enough. Pino has some samples of factory carpeting and materials he wants me to look at. Also getting new silcone hose for the heaters.

Who did you use for plating Anthony? I'm looking for somebody local. Looks like they did a great job.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

And is this zinc + yellow chromate. What is yellow CAD?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yellow cadmium plating. It is what the factory used years ago. Holds up much better than Zinc chromate
Definition:

​​​​​​Cadmium is a soft white metal that, when plated onto steel, cast iron, malleable iron, copper, and powdered metal, functions as a "sacrificial coating," corroding before the substrate material. ... Furthermore, the corrosion products of cadmium are less significant that those of other plated coatings such as zinc.

jpar
I have a friend that does this for the military and he helps me and a few others like Gaspare from Gaswerks out occasionally. I gather as many parts as possible and send them to him, use what I need and inventory the rest. I have literally thousands of pieces of hardware all looking like new and I replace with refinished parts as I go and inventory the rest till I gather large quantities for the next batch. If you think 10 times this much that is what I have and the cost of these new is stupid expensive. The little timing chain cover caps are $7 ea from Porsche and i have enough for two engines there amongst so many other pricey parts.

I wish I could say who does it but I have been asked not to say. I can try to help you in the future with my next batch but right now he did me a special favor since he hasn't been this busy in 20 years and asked me to hold off for a while.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-07-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I have been working on many things most importantly getting the outside living spaces opened so we aren't so confined inside. Pool is open and I am ready for some summer fun. Although it won't be quite the same without as many friends around as normally.

Meanwhile, I have the track car underway and Pino was kind enough to paint some pieces of engine tins and fan for me. I was shocked how well the engine tins came out. The one was a complete rusted mess but looks relatively new now. I decided to stay stock colors and did the fan in zermatt silver. There are two shades I went with the more gold cast.

So the engine is mostly together. A few bits of hardware to swap out, new fan belts I didn't like the ones i had they were from 2000 and I figured I might as well install fresh. I pick up the last new fuel line this AM and will be done. I also have new orange silicone hoses coming. The flywheel goes on soon and then the trans gets worked on.

Best part was it was the first chance I had to see the roof skin. It is going to be a huge undertaking but I am very excited to do this one correctly.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
911Jetta (05-14-2020), RicardoD (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:35 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

You make such fast progress! Everything looks great. All of my engine bits are still in pieces waiting on various items to come back and for some free time. I seem to work more now that I am 100% at home. All the spaghetti on top of the engine appears less of a mystery to me now. That is what I love about working on these engines is that my mental model of them gets better and better. I was so scared when I first brought my 1990 C4 home in 2007 in terms of what could go wrong and my lack of understanding.

Looking forward to the roof skin work.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
You make such fast progress! Everything looks great. All of my engine bits are still in pieces waiting on various items to come back and for some free time. I seem to work more now that I am 100% at home. All the spaghetti on top of the engine appears less of a mystery to me now. That is what I love about working on these engines is that my mental model of them gets better and better. I was so scared when I first brought my 1990 C4 home in 2007 in terms of what could go wrong and my lack of understanding.

Looking forward to the roof skin work.
Thanks,

As they say practice makes perfect. Pino has been a huge help in educating me in these areas. He is truly talented and a lot more humble than I am. LOL. It doesn't matter if you do this for a living or as a shade tree mechanic, there is always something throwing a wrench in the works. Never like to do a job twice but sometimes you have to. I have done this enough times by now but sometimes I still forget to put a simple part on first and find I have to go back 4 or 5 steps to wiggle that part in place. It isn't as hard as most seem to think you just have to go for it sometimes.

So I am a bit miffed. I finally got my last fuel line from Porsche. These all came from Porsche directly supplied in the same Porsche factory packaging. It appears some have the yellow cad plating and others not. There is some form of finish done on the others but not sure. I wish they all were yellow to match the rest. Darn OCD.

This will be on hold until Pino gets the roof removed. Hopefully that will be sometime next week after he finishes 2swoosh's cup car. I will focus on my track car until then. Fitting the canisters to the rear suspension on the roll bar. I just hope we see some track time this year. I really am getting rusty.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I just got a box of parts back form the plater and they were ALL plain zinc! I sent them right back despite the fact that the yellow chromate that they do is not any longer lasting- just didn't match the other parts I had them plate for me. I know its that last thing I'll be thing about when I am heading down the straight at Suzuka- but its just part of the sickness that comes with caring about "stuff."

Ont th other hand with some of the hose clamps being cad and some being stainless your one fuel line does not look out of place.

Pete
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:55 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Glad to see I am not alone. New manifold intake clamps are zinc. 3 out of 4 of my oil return tubes are zinc only. Urg!!
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am not sure what they use as a process in Japan but I have found that the cadmium yellow or black lasts considerably longer than the zinc chromate. Many states and countries no longer allow Cadmium plating. For mil spec work Zinc was not allowed and cadmium was specified on drawings although I hear that is changing due to health and environmental concerns.

Suzuka must be a fun track to drive. Other than F1 posters and a simulator that is as close as I will ever get. Have to settle for Watkins or VIR but we are all shut down here. I am assuming same by you?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Yeah- but not because of Covid- because I took my car apart a year ago and am struggling to get the thing back together! Machine work needs to be re-done and just normal life stuff (had another kiddo yesterday!!)

Pete
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Yeah- but not because of Covid- because I took my car apart a year ago and am struggling to get the thing back together! Machine work needs to be re-done and just normal life stuff (had another kiddo yesterday!!)

Pete
Wow some exciting news. A bit scary time for a newborn but be safe and stay inside. All the rest of this stuff comes second to a newborn. Best wishes for a Happy and healthy child. Mine virtually graduated College last weekend. It seems like yesterday he was born.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yes a but scary on the timing. Needless to say we have and will continue to be very careful!

Pete
Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I am considering interior changes but not sure what to do. I was initially thinking black vs the cashmere. I have to stop calling it tan after looking at the swatches for tan it is a very different color. I have black Sportster CS seats but they could be dyed. I have access to all the interior materials for every import and there are some interesting choices. Although I am a fan of vinyl for durability leather is always nice and then there is the grain options and so many other patterns.

This might take a while. The book is nearly 10" thick with about 25 sections like this.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats to both of you... one for the new child, and the other for getting theirs out of college. Good times for both... in much different ways.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-20-2020)

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??