Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 01:47 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was just informed by the plater that they are swamped and he can't get me my hardware back for another 2-3 weeks.
Everybody finally getting to their garage projects. I am tempted to setup my own plating zinc + yellow chromate plating line.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Good idea there aren't many places that do yellow cad anymore. Makes the finished product look new.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I have gone as far as I can for now. Engine was stripped down. Everything inspected. Although most everything was good I decided to start from new. So all new seals, gaskets, wires, plugs, caps, rotors, etc. I am still waiting on the fan and rear sheet metal from Pino which should be this week and the hardware is still at the plater so another week or so and it will be ready to go in the car.

Pino will have the roof off this week. I apologize to 2swoosh. I kind of stepped on his schedule with my project a little. I will strip out the carpeting and figure out exactly what I will be doing. I am sorry I sold the rear parcel shelf from the 93 RSA. I am now considering using my rear seats like the 94 RSA since it offers a nice shelf to put stuff like chairs and coolers when traveling to an event. But this changes almost daily. My wife isn't happy with the RSA door cards as she likes to store stuff in the compartments and likes the handle and arm rest. More the handle for my driving. LOL I tend to be a bit aggressive. So this is yet to be determined.

So the engine as it stands now with all new seals, valve lash and bits. I also decided that the fan housing was in good enough condition. There is slight corrosion at the bottom I cleaned and clear coated the entire fan with a frosted clear so it looks like stock and I guess technically still is to a degree. This will prevent any further corrosion. I am also waiting on the new fuel lines and other small bits. I broke down and bought them but my old ones are in excellent condition. Just not worth taking a chance over a few hundred $$. I also decided doing anything with painting the intake plenum would be a waste and unnecessary. Just a clean stock look.

Good news my rear suspension issue on my track car is finally resolved so the engine is going in shortly and I can proceed with the fabrication of the exhaust, intake and IC. Then the fun begins with all the tunning. It will take many hours on the mustang to get the most out of it.

The following users liked this post:
Gmanscott (06-04-2021)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Double post

Old 05-02-2020, 11:16 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Very nice Anthony.. Weather in nice this weekend Anthony. Gonna stretch turbo legs...
Old 05-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you using for plug wires? There’s a thread on Pelican dissing the OEM Beru wires. I’m having my 75K service done next week and was going to replace my plug wires with Beru. I have the ones made in France, not China.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Very nice Anthony.. Weather in nice this weekend Anthony. Gonna stretch turbo legs...
Actually heading down south but taking the boxster for this one with the top down.

Originally Posted by Parman
What are you using for plug wires? There’s a thread on Pelican dissing the OEM Beru wires. I’m having my 75K service done next week and was going to replace my plug wires with Beru. I have the ones made in France, not China.
I have the beru made in france. Wasn't aware of the chinese version. I have installed several beru sets in the past year and haven't seen any issues. Is there a link you can provide would be interested in reading up on it.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

It’s in the 911 Technical section of Pelican. I’d provide a link if I knew how.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

RThis should help: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...onnectors.html
Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

That's it, thx.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:52 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Great progress on this thread! The sunroof is largely useless IMHO. The radio as well.

If you’re looking for a quality carpet kit, check out Lakewell. The silverknit is exceptionally lightweight, but still feels plush. See details and install in my RS Carpet Install thread. I stayed with gray, but would do it in Black if I could turn back the clock.

Also a big fan of RS door cards. Simple, and a substantial weight savings. It’s a bad habit for drivers, but your wife will definitely miss the arm rest. If you do opt for the door cards check out Rennline’s door cards. The plywood is incredibly lightweight yet sturdy. Much better than AppBiz particle board stuff. And the price is hard to beat.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help guys.

These are the door cards pino gave me. I don't know where he got them but they weigh about the same as the appbiz particle board but are far more durable. He will cover them for me with the proper padding underneath if I decide to go this route. Still in limbo on this one. Excuse the mess too many projects going on at once and parts everywhere.

Heading to PA to look at a C4 today for someone, It looks like there might be more 1990 C4's made than originally thought. All the sources say last vin for a 90 coupe is 1317 yet this vin is 1964. That is a huge discrepancy.

PS it isn't the drivers side armrest she would miss it would be the passenger.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Regarding the RS door cards, you can either build them from scratch with Pino, or buy them premanufactured.

I built a set from scratch in My 964 , replacing the warped AppBiz door cards. I cut out some plywood, and bought some leather from a fabric shop. I spent $20 on a pair of red straps and $45 on the leather and batting. The template pictured above lacks many of the predrilled holes, and that’s more work. A good project if you have the time and desire. But if you need to buy new RS door handles it can get far more expensive. Pelican charges $289 and FVD charges &330. That’s just for the handles and hardware. Keep this in my mind if you go this route.

On the other hand, for just $250 you get the complete kit with both the doors and the hardware from Rennline. It’s pleather not leather, the door handles are made from aluminum (read light) not as sturdy as AppBiz steel, and throw away the sheet metal screws and use proper threaded inserts, but overall the value and fit can’t be beat. I went with the Rennline doorcards in My 993.

As for the wife, no arm rest sorry. But if she braces using the door handle, you can locate the handle at an angle in a more friendly “Jesus” location. Check out this post from Big ‘Un with photos of a few different location options for the handles. I like pic 1. I wish my wife would drive in my car.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ thanks I actually like that approach. Seams like an easier way to close the door. No issues with fabrication it is what i do. The door cards are perfect starting point if I decide to go Stereo delete or not or if I want to make them specific to my needs. Might consider a pouch to hold sunglass and stuff. This might satisfy all needs. Much appreciated.

Meanwhile the parts came back from the platers today. Much faster than expected. I just love this stuff. It is like jewelry. Still waiting on the new fuel lines, fan and sheet metal but it should be done soon enough. Pino has some samples of factory carpeting and materials he wants me to look at. Also getting new silcone hose for the heaters.

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Beautiful. Just curious, once you have all of the hardware plated, how do you remember what goes where? Do you take pictures and catalog the hardware before sending out?

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??