Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another RS Carpet Install

Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Another RS Carpet Install

I’m finally getting around to posting my impressions, lessons, and photos from my recent installation of the RS carpet from Lakewell Classic Car Interiors. I hope this will help others. This is a rewarding and worthwhile DIY project. Laying the carpet is a cinch. Ripping out the old carpeting and glue, however, is pig of a job, and laying down Dynamite and new soundproofing can be tedious and time-consuming. So stock up the cooler, crank the tunes, and lets get started.

The RS carpet kit from Lakewell includes 20 pieces in original Silverknit, available in most stock colors. I stayed with the stock classic grey. The color is not a perfect match - the Lakewell grey looks better in my estimation, as it lacks the reddish hue in the Porsche classic grey. The RS carpet costs about $800 - and close to $1,000 if you want am “RS” or “GT2” Porsche script. http://www.lakewell.com/en/warenkorb?product_id=193

Supplies:

Xylene, PVC Gloves and Respirator (Goo Gone will also do the job, but Xylene works much faster on the stubborn spots) Thanks to Cobalt for this recommendation
Goo Gone
3M Foam Fast 74
Scotch Super 77 (for areas requiring more tack)
Dynamat Lite and Dynaroller
1/8” MLV with 3/8” closed cell foam backing and 1/16 “ MLV with adhesive backing (buy locally)
Carpet Jute
Carpet Scissors and Box Cutter

The Weight:

Removed 81.5 lbs: 45 lbs. of stock carpet and insulation, 5 lbs. rear seat belts, 12.5 lbs. rear seats, 13 lbs.rear deck/speakers, 6 lbs. rear quarter panels

Added back 45 lbs.: 15 lbs. of Dynamite Lite, 15 lbs. of MLV, 6 lbs. of carpet, 9 lbs. new plywood rear deck with speakers and carpet

Net reduction of 36.5 lbs.

NVH:

NVH in the car has been drastically reduced. I was hesitant to add back 30 lbs. of Dynamite and MLV, but for a dual purpose car it was worth every pound.

Resources:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ion-guide.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ptions-rs.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-thread-3.html

Start by removing all this https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html

After installing the DAS roll bar, the time was right for an RS carpet

Poor condition of original carpet was another motivating factor

Pull up the seat bottoms

Peel the carpet and insulation off from back to front

Carpet arrives from Lakewell - lay it out and get organized. Note the rear quarter panels are the ones with leather on two sides . The kit comes with two options for the rear hump - one which accommodates the rear seat anchor in the middle if you want to keep it.

Work slowly from back to front peeling up carpet and insulation together. The less you leave behind, the better. Remove the center console.

Pull the accelerator pedal off the ball so you can remove the carpet and insulation beside and behind the pedal

Clean off all the glue, and wipe thoroughly with Degreaser. The must be no Goof Off residue or the Dynamat will not secure properly

Dry run test fitting the carpet - there's one long piece on each side that runs from the footwell to the rear quarter

46 lbs. of old carpet and insulation

You can opt to keep the middle seat anchor

I think it spoils the lines - a cutting wheel makes quick work of removing the anchor and bungs

Some primer and paint and it looks cleaner already
Old 02-03-2018, 01:46 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice work fox! Did you use the xylene on this one to remove the glue or something else? I remember on my war on cosmoline thread you used some on your 964 carpet job?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:09 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

While the pedal was detached, it was the perfect time to replace the old pedal board

The Rennline pedal board is a quick and easy replacement. Makes me think twice about carpeting the car at all...

But this car sees some street time, so I began laying the Dynamat Lite. It takes some time to cut the pieces and lay it neatly.

15 lbs. covered the entire car - some folks cover only half the car to save weight. If your trying to save weight, work with strips and focus more on the flat surfaces and less on the curved areas.

Here's the stock carpeted footwell trim lying on top of the new Lakewell panel. Note the difference in color and texture

Compare the stock carpeted console in foreground to the new Lakewell carpet behind

I took photos noting where the cuts were made, then labeled the trim pieces and carefully pulled up the old carpeting

Carpeting the trim pieces was easier than I expected. But I quickly learned that the glue can bleed right though the thin carpet. Use the glue sparingly and allow it time to dry and get tacky before applying. The depression in the footwell was also tricky - the carpet is flexible, but I struggled with that spot.

The MLV arrives

This MLV with the closed cell foam is great stuff, but it's very heavy. I ultimately chose to confine it to the footwells, firewall and console, and I used a much thinner adhesive backed MLV for the rest of the car.

Adhesive backed MLV on the left, MLV with closed cell foam on the right. Some say the closed cell foam is critical as a decoupler, but I'm very happy with the results of the adhesive backed MLV on top of the Dynamat

Carpet Jute - perfect for a few isolated areas like the center console in the rear and under the carpeted rear decklid.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:26 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Stencils helped to cut and pay the MLV and the Dynamat

Stencils for center console

Last piece of Dynamat

These sections for the footwells, rear seats, rear hump and firewall all all the heavier MLV with closed cell foam

Working

The rest of the car is covered completely with the adhesive backed MLV. All the seams are taped carefully, and MLV is physically attached to the rear corner panels

To keep the weight down, I eliminated some of the heavier MLV in exchange for the thinner and lighter MLV. Just a few pieces adds up.

MLV Layer

By layer

I made a quick decklid out of birch plywood. The 993 decklid rises up to allow room for the speakers. i weanted the streamlined look, so I relocated the speakers to the back of the seats where there's a perfect recess.

Dynamat and MLV

The jute, and the RS carpet. The speakers hide neatly underneath
Old 02-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Nice work fox! Did you use the xylene on this one to remove the glue or something else? I remember on my war on cosmoline thread you used some on your 964 carpet job?
Hi samurai_k When I did this project on my 993 last winter I did it strictly with Goo Gone. Had I known about Xylene back the, I definitely would have used it in some of the tougher areas. The Goo Gone is very effective in many areas, but the Xylene is incredibly fast and effective. I'm working with both on the 964. Hats off to Cobalt for this tip on the Xylene.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Thanks to reading some prior threads here on Rennlist, I knew to watch out for a large gap at the rear of the center console. That was a great tip. Im guessing it's no fun to glue the carpet down and then discover a gaping hole when you install the center console.

Lay some MLV with closed cell foam

Then a layer of carpet jute and there's no gap.

Finally time to start laying the carpet down. Like painting, once all the prep work has been properly done this is the easy part.

Start by laying the two long pieces that run along the door sills. Take your time and work one section at a time. I used painters tape to help secure things.

Keep some beer handy and take a break while the glue dries and tacks for a few minutes. That prevented any more issues with glue bleeding through the thin carpet fabric

Before installing the rear quarter panels I installed the DAS transverse bar.

The corner panels have two sides with leather trim (the top and the B pillar). I opted to keep the trim pieces under the window and cut that section away. Take your time here to line all the edges up properly

I was hesitant to rip off the old leather on the pillars, but this was easy work and I'm pleased with the results. Brand new leather on the B pillars is a plus. Use the Scotch Super 77 here.

When I removed the center console, it looked like a dog had been chewing on it.

I'm guessing track belts did this?

Sio I purchased a repair kit form Leatherworks

I filled in the holes and after a few coats of the dye it looked good as new

Center console is finally back

Finishing touches. Wooden floor boards next - lightweight birch plywood

I like Rennline's track mats, but wood is simply better.

I did opt for some spendy countersunk washers from Rennline to secure the floorboards

The Rennline hardware includes a few rivnuts which are perfect for securing the floor boards

Last edited by Foxman; 02-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

With the new floorboards installed, it was finally time to drop in the new Tillet seats

Tillet seats were a snap

Happy - I hope these photos help others down this path. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Foxman:
993c4_Toronto (05-27-2020), Sagres74 (04-01-2024)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:59 AM
danco_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic write-up and array of photos.

You got me thinking about this upgrade now.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Amazing job Jim! Wow, what a project. I applaud your patience...it looks fantastic.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Jim,

Outstanding write-up and photography! Interior looks terrific. Wish I had tried xylene when I was stripping out my interior.

Tip for other DIYers: be sure to use a respirator that is rated to filter out VOCs. Best to call the manufacturer to be certain if the packaging does not explicitly state what it is rated for.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Jim- Wow! Your back and knees must’ve taken a beating. However, time, money, and beer well spent on this project
The new interior looks amazing!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:11 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Jim,
Fantastic end result.

Andreas
Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Fabulous!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice work, those seats look awesome!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:27 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Well done Foxman! Can't wait to hear how it performs as a dual purpose car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another RS Carpet Install