Sponsored by:

Lost in the forest...time for a C4 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by jburroughs12
Thanks for the offer! I have work then a commitment later in the evening, but maybe I could cut out a little early.

I dropped the engine and checked my cam timing, 4-6 was off so I reset that side, triple checked everything was in the 1.6-1.8 range (993RS cams). Still not starting, but it’s close. Wondering if my rebuilt injectors are now the issue. They sat for a few months before I installed them (in a ziploc bag), not sure if that would cause issues with them sticking?

At this point, I’m not sure what the issue could be.
I don't know if you followed my thread but rebuit injectors that had sat were precisely the cause of a no-start. I sent them back for a re-cleaning.

Take one out and hook it up to 12v listen for a very distinct click like operating a nicely made pen. I was not smelling gas after hella cranking, that was also a sign. Did you check for injector signal with a noid light? You can also actuate the injectors using the hammer or clone, along with every other component it talks to.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
I don't know if you followed my thread but rebuit injectors that had sat were precisely the cause of a no-start. I sent them back for a re-cleaning.

Take one out and hook it up to 12v listen for a very distinct click like operating a nicely made pen. I was not smelling gas after hella cranking, that was also a sign. Did you check for injector signal with a noid light? You can also actuate the injectors using the hammer or clone, along with every other component it talks to.
I did follow your thread. I hooked up a probe light to the injector plugs yesterday, but I think it was too slow to react. I'm taking my injectors in today to be re-cleaned, will see what the results of that are.
There is plenty of fuel in the rails, so I know fuel is getting at least to the back of the injectors, and I know there's spark.

Just need to make sure the fuel is getting into the engine and the fuel/spark is being delivered at the proper time. I don't have a hammer/clone, unfortunately, so am flying a bit blind there.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:42 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I tried a test light, DVM... nothing would read the signal except the Noid Light (did not know such things existed til I needed one). Bob very kindly loaned me one and a set of known good injectors.

BTW if you need a reason to buy cool stuff check out Fluke's auto multimeters, some have injector pulse width reading mode. https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...ters/fluke-88v

Do you smell gas from the cranking?

Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

I tried a test light, DVM... nothing would read the signal except the Noid Light (did not know such things existed til I needed one). Bob very kindly loaned me one and a set of known good injectors.

BTW if you need a reason to buy cool stuff check out Fluke's auto multimeters, some have injector pulse width reading mode. https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...ters/fluke-88v

Do you smell gas from the cranking?
Interesting, I wonder if the pulse is too quick for a test light?

I do smell gas from cranking. The car stumbles and nnneeeaaarrrlllyy starts, but not quite there. I know my injectors worked previously, but am thinking the sitting around gummed them up. We'll see after I get them cleaned/installed.
Fluke makes great stuff, unfortunately after the rebuild and deciding to do a G50 C2 swap there's no money left in the car fund for quite a while.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Without a doubt it could be the injectors. Mine were GLUED shut, there was no vague notions of starting whatsoever. maybe yours are 80% shut etc. who cleaned them? i recall language from at least one of the big places saying install them at the end. but then a lot of the big places have absurd lead times. one of the many reasons I used Sssquid. Also cheaper.

I looked into this before and the summary is yes a test light is not capable. I also debated using this as an excuse to buy an iphone connected scope. But that was a distraction and expense I didn't need at the time.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:00 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Without a doubt it could be the injectors. Mine were GLUED shut, there was no vague notions of starting whatsoever. maybe yours are 80% shut etc. who cleaned them? i recall language from at least one of the big places saying install them at the end. but then a lot of the big places have absurd lead times. one of the many reasons I used Sssquid. Also cheaper.

I looked into this before and the summary is yes a test light is not capable. I also debated using this as an excuse to buy an iphone connected scope. But that was a distraction and expense I didn't need at the time.
I used a local place: https://www.injectorrx.com/ Got a flow/test report back and everything. But sitting after being rebuilt without fuel flowing through them very well could be the problem. Will keep you guys updated; thanks for all the help and insight!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:00 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Boy my injectors were cleaned years ago by Witchhunter and and just installed then into my engine. I may do that 12v check before trying to start my car. Good tip.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts

I've had injectors sitting for quite a while that worked fine..that was a few years. Were they optimal?-Probably not but certainly not bad enough to cause a no-start condition. I'm just saying that you should continue looking
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I've had injectors sitting for quite a while that worked fine..that was a few years. Were they optimal?-Probably not but certainly not bad enough to cause a no-start condition. I'm just saying that you should continue looking
Don't tell me that! lol
I just want an easy solution one of these times. I'll figure it out eventually, just hoping one of the more simple things will be the solution.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:06 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts

I had a 90s Mustang that I killed the ECU on that behaved very similarly. In my case, I had mis-wired an o2 sensor extension harness which killed the ECU instantly. We found it by killing a second ECU . What I'm getting at is - I have an extra motronic ECU that you can try if you like but you should check your wiring very closely first because the only request I would have is that if you toast it, you buy it

Along those lines of thinking....try disconnecting some of the engine sensors...most of them will not prevent the car from firing - perhaps there's something dead there.

I didn't go all the way back in the thread....but...any chance some of the rockers are too tight? A compression test at this point would tell you a lot.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:11 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I had a 90s Mustang that I killed the ECU on that behaved very similarly. In my case, I had mis-wired an o2 sensor extension harness which killed the ECU instantly. We found it by killing a second ECU . What I'm getting at is - I have an extra motronic ECU that you can try if you like but you should check your wiring very closely first because the only request I would have is that if you toast it, you buy it

Along those lines of thinking....try disconnecting some of the engine sensors...most of them will not prevent the car from firing - perhaps there's something dead there.

I didn't go all the way back in the thread....but...any chance some of the rockers are too tight? A compression test at this point would tell you a lot.
I'll borrow one of my buddy's ECUs locally (benefits of having 964 friends). I didn't change any wiring anywhere, just unplugged everything, rebuilt, then plugged back in.
I'll try disconnecting sensors one at a time once I get the injectors back tomorrow/installed.

I have hydraulic rockers (993 cams/towers/rockers) in the car, so no risk of them being overtight.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

I had another random thought today. Is there a way I could have swapped the L and R bank injector plugs? I’m not sure off the top of my head if the harness is symmetrical or not, it it could be that I brain farted and swapped 1-3 and 4-6 plugs...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Unlikely based on wire lengths and until the 964 (thru 3.2) they were batch fired. Injector timing can be 180 out and the car will run.

do any of your local friends have a hammer clone or scan tool? Some thing that is reassuring about it besides being able to test the injectors is being able to test and actuate many other sensors and things which gives you a degree of confidence in the health of the ICU.

did you rig a fuel pressure test setup?

confirm spark to all six visually and with inductive light?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:57 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Unlikely based on wire lengths and until the 964 (thru 3.2) they were batch fired. Injector timing can be 180 out and the car will run.

do any of your local friends have a hammer clone or scan tool? Some thing that is reassuring about it besides being able to test the injectors is being able to test and actuate many other sensors and things which gives you a degree of confidence in the health of the ICU.

did you rig a fuel pressure test setup?

confirm spark to all six visually and with inductive light?
I figured that was probably the case, but not remembering exactly what the harness looks like, thought I'd ask the question.

I don't have a hammer locally, unfortunately. I rented a fuel pressure tester, but it didn't have the correct fitting, going to see if I can borrow one from my friend's shop today.
I have spark at all 6 plugs, confirmed by pulling the wire and plugging in a spark plug.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM
wallra
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

the wires for the injectors would never fit from the drivers side to passengers side.

Quick Reply: Lost in the forest...time for a C4 rebuild