Sponsored by:

Lost in the forest...time for a C4 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
pretty cool nice work. the 993 are forged ?
Yes they are forged vs cast and weigh less. Thye surface finish is a giveaway. I never calculated out actual weight savings which I should have but prior to machining a lot of material off there was about 3/4 a pound saved so I suspect about 1 pound in total which is nice for higher revving engines.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:23 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

The $2K included new mechanical profile cams. Getting a set of mechanical rockers is ~$500-700. I got my new hydraulic lifters in today and will install them this evening. Here's hoping...
Old 07-30-2020, 05:31 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Anthony is the profile the same. hard to tell in the picture would of been nice to see them sitting on top of each other.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jburroughs12
The $2K included new mechanical profile cams. Getting a set of mechanical rockers is ~$500-700. I got my new hydraulic lifters in today and will install them this evening. Here's hoping...
I wish I saw this earlier. The engine only had 30k miles on it when I removed them. I would have sent you the lifters I had. Where are you coming up with $700 for the rockers? Sunset gets $132.75 ea x 12 so $1593 and IIRC I don't think worldpac was much cheaper but I would need to check. You also need the elephant foot and jam nut.

Originally Posted by wallra
Anthony is the profile the same. hard to tell in the picture would of been nice to see them sitting on top of each other.
That would be a total faux pas if they weren't but I did check and they are the same. We had to make up a jig to inspect everything and allow setup for machining. There are some threads on the 993 forums where others had done this which I found after doing all the leg work.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
I wish I saw this earlier. The engine only had 30k miles on it when I removed them. I would have sent you the lifters I had. Where are you coming up with $700 for the rockers? Sunset gets $132.75 ea x 12 so $1593 and IIRC I don't think worldpac was much cheaper but I would need to check. You also need the elephant foot and jam nut.

That would be a total faux pas if they weren't but I did check and they are the same. We had to make up a jig to inspect everything and allow setup for machining. There are some threads on the 993 forums where others had done this which I found after doing all the leg work.
Looking at used rockers on eBay. If I wanted new I found some for ~$1K, but cant remember for the life of me from where. Either way, the car is staying hydraulic (for now) hoping the new lifters fix the issue.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

🤞 Wish you luck. Do you crank the engine cold before starting to build pressure?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Thanks much! Yes, whenever I pull drivetrain stuff, before I start the car I rotate the engine a few times by hand to make sure everything went back together correctly, then I pull the DME (R41) relay, crank it a few times until I get .5 bar of oil pressure, then reinstall the relay and start.

Did that last night after the new lifters, still no different. I'm trying to find the wiring diagram for the engine harness so I can re-check the injector plug wire colors to make sure they're all routed to the proper injector.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:58 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jburroughs12
Thanks much! Yes, whenever I pull drivetrain stuff, before I start the car I rotate the engine a few times by hand to make sure everything went back together correctly, then I pull the DME (R41) relay, crank it a few times until I get .5 bar of oil pressure, then reinstall the relay and start.

Did that last night after the new lifters, still no different. I'm trying to find the wiring diagram for the engine harness so I can re-check the injector plug wire colors to make sure they're all routed to the proper injector.
Not sure if you’ve done this yet, but your symptoms could align with similar issues.. have you scoped the crank sensor signal to see if all is correct?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:02 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Also confirming you are now smelling gallons of unburnt fuel? When my injectors were bad it was an immediate tipoff that my no start was fuel related: days of crank no start and zero fuel smell. you can also, carefully, pull the fuel rail, connect just one injector to its harness plug and shoot it off into a beaker to ground-truth what the noid light, fp gauge etc are suggesting to be the case.

presume you checked crank position sensor is same part 964/993 (can't recall if we discussed this already)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:42 PM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Originally Posted by Ubipa
Not sure if you’ve done this yet, but your symptoms could align with similar issues.. have you scoped the crank sensor signal to see if all is correct?
I checked resistance of it and everything falls within spec per the factory manual.

Originally Posted by r-mm
Also confirming you are now smelling gallons of unburnt fuel? When my injectors were bad it was an immediate tipoff that my no start was fuel related: days of crank no start and zero fuel smell. you can also, carefully, pull the fuel rail, connect just one injector to its harness plug and shoot it off into a beaker to ground-truth what the noid light, fp gauge etc are suggesting to be the case.

presume you checked crank position sensor is same part 964/993 (can't recall if we discussed this already)
I am definitely smelling fuel, and it's seeming to run on 3-4 cylinders. Very lope-y and shaky, which to sounds like the timing of one of the components (spark, fuel, air) is off from the others. I've swapped my buddy's known to function injectors in with no change. Then put my freshly rebuild injectors into his car, which ran just fine.

I have the injector wiring diagram pulled up and will verify I didn't screw that up somehow when re-installing everything.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:48 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

I only recall a waveform not resistance check on the position sensor
Old 08-02-2020, 12:11 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome Cobalt !
I need to remember that trick, I even have spare rockers laying around to do !
The following users liked this post:
F/51 LRS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 AM
F/51 LRS
Pro

Houston, we found the problem (most likely)! My flywheel must have gotten dropped in shipping, and of course I didn't inspect for this when installing it. I was very careful with it when it was delivered; kept it in the bag/box/shipping box in the corner of my garage until it was time to install.

That would explain the "kind of running, and all other options have been checked issue". The reference sensors here are bent in 2-3mm, and when the crank sensor needs to be gapped to 1mm that's a significant change. The car was effectively reading 2 TDC marks, dumping in fuel at the wrong time, not firing at the right time, etc.

On the positive side, going through all of this has given me an intimate understanding of my engine, what makes it work, how it's assembled, and I'm a whiz at not only removing and installing the engine, but also cam timing. I have cam timing down to an art at this point! As soon as I get the new flywheel in and installed I'll let you guys know how it goes. Then it's a matter of getting the new C2 trans set up and functioning. Then break in time...

Old 08-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow- how did you find that?? Nice work man!!

Pete

Quick Reply: Lost in the forest...time for a C4 rebuild