Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 11:55 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Curious did the Andial converted race cars have their 8 inch width front and 9.5 inch rear wheels changed back to how they came from Porsche (7 inch width front and 8 inch rear) when sold through their designated dealers? I know the parts and port cars never got the wider wheels and had the narrower ones shared with the RS America and optional on the normal Carrera but not sure about the race converted cars.
Nope, the race cars were stripped of their studs and spacers in the back and the 7 X 8 wheel combination returned to service.

BUT there were MAYBE two race parts left on the race-converted-re-converted to street Andial cars, but I am not sure.

Another story. After I bought my car, I told Mark Popov Dadiani that I wanted to buy the Cup steering couplers and sway bar bushings and he said to me "Why? Those are on the cars" and I didn't get into it with him since I think he was tired of me showing up both during the conversion and then during the re-conversion process asking too many questions anyway. So, I figured "how could they be on my Port Car" and bought the parts from Vasek Polak and found they were not on my car at all.

Then it occurred to me, Mark P-D was probably thinking about the RACE CARS, not the others. Was he telling me those parts were left on the cars? That would make sense since they are essentially undetectable from the original and it would take time and money to remove them. So if any of you with a converted race car that has not been otherwise touched could look to see if the steering couplers have a red dot on them, the original IIRC had blue dots on them (Euro RS and C4 used the same coupler).
The following users liked this post:
kecho (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 12:13 PM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder if they changed them on my "Parts" car? I was told the parts cars were mechanically prepped "Race Ready"??

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Nope, the race cars were stripped of their studs and spacers in the back and the 7 X 8 wheel combination returned to service.

BUT there were MAYBE two race parts left on the race-converted-re-converted to street Andial cars, but I am not sure.

Another story. After I bought my car, I told Mark Popov Dadiani that I wanted to buy the Cup steering couplers and sway bar bushings and he said to me "Why? Those are on the cars" and I didn't get into it with him since I think he was tired of me showing up both during the conversion and then during the re-conversion process asking too many questions anyway. So, I figured "how could they be on my Port Car" and bought the parts from Vasek Polak and found they were not on my car at all.

Then it occurred to me, Mark P-D was probably thinking about the RACE CARS, not the others. Was he telling me those parts were left on the cars? That would make sense since they are essentially undetectable from the original and it would take time and money to remove them. So if any of you with a converted race car that has not been otherwise touched could look to see if the steering couplers have a red dot on them, the original IIRC had blue dots on them (Euro RS and C4 used the same coupler).
Old 11-06-2022, 01:28 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts
Default cup

Originally Posted by kecho
I wonder if they changed them on my "Parts" car? I was told the parts cars were mechanically prepped "Race Ready"??
Curious here too Chris. I also would like to know the whereabouts of the other two "Parts Cars" are they still around?
Old 11-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Here are the markings to look for on the steering couplers

Old 11-07-2022, 09:57 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,436 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Curious here too Chris. I also would like to know the whereabouts of the other two "Parts Cars" are they still around?
According to the registry all the parts cars are accounted for. #579 was sold at Mecum last year and now resides at the Hubbard Auto Center in Scottsdale. I don’t know if it’s part of their personal collection or just being stored there for one of their clients. That one only shows 800 miles on the odometer however I’ve heard that the car doesn’t show wear that is typical of a car with that few of miles so mileage may be inaccurate. I don’t know anything about #573, but the registry says they have that one accounted for.

Friend spotted #579 at the Hubbard Auto Center back in May of this year:

Old 11-07-2022, 10:42 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

That was a BARGAIN, however, I too have doubt of the mileage, as one my closest friends who attended the auction and viewed the car up close, noticed the seat bolsters had extensive wear; far more than an 800 miles car should.

Originally Posted by RapidGT
According to the registry all the parts cars are accounted for. #579 was sold at Mecum last year and now resides at the Hubbard Auto Center in Scottsdale. I don’t know if it’s part of their personal collection or just being stored there for one of their clients. That one only shows 800 miles on the odometer however I’ve heard that the car doesn’t show wear that is typical of a car with that few of miles so mileage may be inaccurate. I don’t know anything about #573, but the registry says they have that one accounted for.

Friend spotted #579 at the Hubbard Auto Center back in May of this year:

Old 11-07-2022, 10:48 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

According to our records, 573 still exists and resides in the US, and owned by a very famous collector (unfortunately, I can't disclose his name or location). Apparently in "Andial" livery and converted into a race car.

SEE THIS POST dated 2003.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lp-please.html

Old 11-07-2022, 01:03 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

That was a BARGAIN, however, I too have doubt of the mileage, as one my closest friends who attended the auction and viewed the car up close, noticed the seat bolsters had extensive wear; far more than an 800 miles car should.
That one did undersell at the time and especially looking back at it though the estimate was $320k-$350k. Overall the room seemed kinda dead but can’t believe the seller took off the reserve at $250k. Then again this was a time when a majority of 3.3 Turbo’s were less than $150k and 3.6 less than $300k. The 964 market didn’t start to take really off until a couple months later after a few ludicrous BAT sales. However, with the US Cup’s they rely heavily on having the right seller presenting to the right audience. In the case of the Mecum sale it had none of those. Don’t mean anything against Mecum as they do a great job selling particular cars (American muscle/classics) to very specific clientele. Even during Monterey car week when they try to include more imports/exotics in their offerings, still not the right venue for this Cup. If I were selling a Hemi Cuda convertible Mecum would be one of the best places to sell, for this Cup it’s probably one of the worst.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Cup #579 Selling at Mecum.MOV (19.88 MB, 51 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:27 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

There's one in BAT now with a current bid in the 60s with 8-9 days to go has 55k miles and looks like a full race (cage and seats) non Andial conversion.

Last edited by 2swoosh; 11-08-2022 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2022, 09:07 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

A couple kinda boring questions, but would these two brochures have or have not come in the original owners package when new? I understand that the warranty and tires for the Cup’s are different from the rest of the US Porsche lineup at the time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39226452142...mis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39226549375...mis&media=COPY

Also which service technik would be most applicable for the US Cups? Narrowed it down to 3 1992 issues (US edition for C2/4 and Turbo, RS America, and ROW RS). US Cup shares bits from all these models so makes it difficult to say which is the definitive one for them.

Last edited by RapidGT; 11-08-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I would be interested in this as well. When under #590 it appeared some things were done by ANDIAL but I have no way of knowing. I have a ton of pictures it would be interesting to unravel this.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

2Swoosh has a nice red Porsche binder with full repair info. Some of it appears to be specific to the Cup/RS others taken from the manuals and inserted. Like the 20/100 LSD info which is in the turbo manuals but not the C2/C4. I made a copy of the entire thing.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:52 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default Cup @ BAT

There's one in BAT now with a current bid in the 60s with 8-9 days to go has 55k miles and looks like a full race (cage and seats) non Andial conversion.
Now @ BAT for 100 7 days to go
Old 11-08-2022, 11:29 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Now @ BAT for 100 7 days to go
Meanwhile the C4 Widebody that was uploaded to BAT only a couple hours ago with 9 days to go is at $125k. So the one that is not as rare, isn’t as fun to drive, slower, and doesn’t have nearly as interesting of a back story is bid more in a shorter span of time with more time left? I guess those hips don’t lie. Though between the two there is a good size difference in mileage and condition besides the fact that one is fully race converted. I wonder if there is a lot of uncertainty with the Cup and what people are bidding on. Things such as what a Cup USA is and is it street legal. People may assume from the Cup name and the race modifications that it is not street legal.

Last edited by RapidGT; 11-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:26 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

According to our records, 573 still exists and resides in the US, and owned by a very famous collector (unfortunately, I can't disclose his name or location). Apparently in "Andial" livery and converted into a race car.

SEE THIS POST dated 2003.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lp-please.html
Are there any US Cups that don’t exist anymore? I talked to a guy on Facebook who has a couple one being #516 (noticed the registry listed this one as missing) that has been modified to the point of being completely unrecognizable. Always has been a race car and was modIfied to run in IMSA (daytona/sebring/etc all in 96/97). Has a factory RSR motor in it.

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?