Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

RapidGT.....YES, this flaw in the carpet lay down is original and correct for all 45 CUP cars. My car is an "Andial" parts car that remains 100% original and untouched from the factory. Know that these cars were intended to be converted into race cars and the factory assembly technicians were instructed to quickly install carpet using only a few dabs of glue to keep them in place. Loose fitting carpet is apparent throughout the car and when I get the chance, I'll forward corresponding photos.

For more information, view our website..

https://www.carreracupusa.com/

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I saw the dyno data that Neil graciously uploaded. He stated that these numbers were sent to them from the factory and has all the US Cup (port, parts, and race) engines on it and their power outputs. Neil said he needed to find the Andial dyno data in his files, but their was never a follow up unless I missed a post.

Also I have a question on whether or not this lift in my carpet is correct for a port car? I was told by Ray Joseph of RPM Sports Cars whom I bought my car from that the lift in the carpet on the front of the drivers side sill was put their intentionally by the factory and I should never fix it. I have not found anything that can confirm or deny this so does anyone know if it should be like this?

Old 10-04-2022, 03:45 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by kecho
RapidGT.....YES, this flaw in the carpet lay down is original and correct for all 45 CUP cars. My car is an "Andial" parts car that remains 100% original and untouched from the factory. Know that these cars were intended to be converted into race cars and the factory assembly technicians were instructed to quickly install carpet using only a few dabs of glue to keep them in place. Loose fitting carpet is apparent throughout the car and when I get the chance, I'll forward corresponding photos.

Thanks for the response @kecho . The carpet in these cars is very loose from the factory and my carpet is definitely that way. My car is as far as I’m aware a 100% factory original port car. But it is funny how they made owners sign a waiver saying they acknowledge the car is not built with the same fit and finish as a normal production C2 and doesn’t drive the same. This is a copy of the waiver I received in my cars documentation.

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-04-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually, not to put too fine a point on it. Cup #392 differed from the other cars in that it was a pre-production prototype and had some features that were eliminated when production began with #509. For #392 the carpet was fully glued down and this was changed so the carpet could be more easily removed in a conversion to a race spec. It also it had the brackets for the rear seats removed as normal for an RS and the RS windshield water bottle mount was installed. Future cars didn't have the bottle bracket and the rear seat brackets were left in.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

CUPCAR (Bob) is correct, my bad. I'd forgotten about the prototype car.

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Actually, not to put too fine a point on it. Cup #392 differed from the other cars in that it was a pre-production prototype and had some features that were eliminated when production began with #509. For #392 the carpet was fully glued down and this was changed so the carpet could be more easily removed in a conversion to a race spec. It also it had the brackets for the rear seats removed as normal for an RS and the RS windshield water bottle mount was installed. Future cars didn't have the bottle bracket and the rear seat brackets were left in.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:26 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Photos of interior carpet flaws. Threshold image incredibly similar to RapidGT's car.

Last edited by kecho; 10-05-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spellcheck
The following users liked this post:
RapidGT (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:50 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Not to bore you with additional oddities, but here are two items that are unique to CARRERA CUP cars. First, the key tag which list both the US Vin (AB2) and the ROW Vin (ZZZ). Secondly, the "Warranty" Book which has a sticker on the front cover (Wolfgang Porsche autograph and an extra) titled "CARRERA CUP", as well as several pages inside the manual listing "Not Applicable on Carrera Cup Vehicles".

The following 2 users liked this post by kecho:
Booth9999 (10-08-2022), RapidGT (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Great stuff!!! We need to get more info out there about these. I was hoping Manny would have used the info I sent him to clarify things but his videos seem to muddy the waters more than help.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
kecho (10-05-2022), RapidGT (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:25 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Photos of interior carpet flaws. Threshold image incredibly similar to RapidGT's car.

Not to bore you with additional oddities, but here are two items that are unique to CARRERA CUP cars. First, the key tag which list both the US Vin (AB2) and the ROW Vin (ZZZ). Secondly, the "Warranty" Book which has a sticker on the front cover (Wolfgang Porsche autograph and an extra) titled "CARRERA CUP", as well as several pages inside the manual listing "Not Applicable on Carrera Cup Vehicles".
Some cool interesting info! Wasn’t aware they labeled the corrosion warranty sections of the warranty book. My car has a lot of the same carpet flaws in the same sections. The baggy carpet is most apparent in the rear. Were there any quality differences between the 25 cars put back together by Andial and the others (besides #392) that weren’t converted into full race cars by them?

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-05-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:45 PM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Good question. Each car that was dismantled at Andial had a "Numbered" storage container positioned along side of it. Everything they took off the car was labeled and put into this container and stored away. When the race series was cancelled, the cars were reassembled using the original parts that came off each particular car. I spoke to one of the technicians who worked at Andial during this whole process and he claims they did their best to fit each part with perfection, however in many cases things just didn't go back together as they hoped they would. Ya gotta wonder if they used more glue to adhere the carpet, knowing how Porsche would have done it on the production line? Your side panels are far more saggy than mine are and I'm not sure why (that sounds kinda weird) . Perhaps climate condition?? (Humidity, Heat, Sun?). We can compare at Rennsport 2023!!!!

Some cool interesting info! Wasn’t aware they labeled the corrosion warranty sections of the warranty book. My car has a lot of the same carpet flaws in the same sections. The baggy carpet is most apparent in the rear. Were there any quality differences between the 25 cars put back together by Andial and the others (besides #392) that weren’t converted into full race cars by them?

Last edited by kecho; 10-05-2022 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidGT (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:25 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Your side panels are far more saggy than mine are and I'm not sure why (that sounds kinda weird) . Perhaps climate condition?? (Humidity, Heat, Sun?). We can compare at Rennsport 2023!!!!
I noticed the more saggy rear side panels as well when compared to some other cars (though not many that weren’t stripped at some point after leaving the factory) so not an apples to apples comparison. Ray Joseph said when I bought the car that it was always stored in a climate controlled garage (remains so) and nothing about the car really indicated otherwise. If you know Ray he is about as straight-shooting as they come. But I honestly don’t know why it is more saggy in these parts. Anyway, I do look highly look forward to Rennsport next year more than any of the previous ones since I started attending in 2011. Hopefully something special can be worked out for these cars and we can get as many together as possible!
Old 10-06-2022, 12:40 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Cup

Originally Posted by cobalt
Great stuff!!! We need to get more info out there about these. I was hoping Manny would have used the info I sent him to clarify things but his videos seem to muddy the waters more than help.
The Cup car featured in the video was one of the Andial's 4 "Parts Cars" with the vin # ending in 590 but Manny mentioned it as a Port car.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

@RapidGT I suspect that the saggy carpet happens over time. If you look at how they glued these in and how many stock 964's even with the globs of glue they used still sagg. The areas you are focusing on are normally covered with interior panels and when I installed fresh carpet in my C2 I had to work hard to keep it smooth and even the factory used remnant pieces of carpeting to fill in low spots and make things look uniform.

When you consider these were being shipped over to the minimum DOT compliant standards the interiors were something that was intended to be easily removed. Did you reach out to Matt or others with port cars? I would expect it too look like this as well.

So you guys are heading to Rennsport? I was already committed to attending. My friend is bringing the Dauer 962 he has been working on for 12 or more years now. Unfortunately I did not realize a year ago when I said I would help that it falls on a very important Bday for my wife. So it is her call if we are going or not. I was looking at the packages and was curious what others are doing? PCA members get early sign up but I might have missed that boat.🤞she wants to attend she loves doing these types of events but I am thinking she wants a large party of friends. The $950 PP package seems like the best bang.

I don't think Ray would touch a car he didn't think was an honest original example.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:27 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
The one mile review videos seem like an abbreviated overview of the car. The Cup USA’s I think take a more in-depth video to explain and fully appreciate them. An in-depth video with Nathan Merz would be ideal. Love his videos he does for PCA and always fascinating to listen to with all the interesting details he covers.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

The deal with the carpeting involves 3 issues:

First, so the carpet lies flat as it does in a competed "real RS" the rear seat and seat belt brackets are removed by Porsche, BUT they were not removed in the USA Cup cars. Also a foam plug normally is glued into the recess of the rear bulkhead in an RS and this was not installed in the USA Cup cars either.
Second, to facilitate removal of the carpet for roll cage installation, Porsche only used a sparse amount of rubber cement rather than a full gluing with spray on adhesive as would normally be done in production.
Third, the carpet was re-installed by Andial and spray on adhesive was used in that operation for the "Andial Conversion Cars"

So there are "Port Cars" with "saggy & lumpy" carpets as originally delivered by Porsche and "Andial Conversion Cars" with just "lumpy carpets" over the brackets.

"For" in the picture below should have said "From"

Last edited by Cupcar; 10-06-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The one mile review videos seem like an abbreviated overview of the car. The Cup USA’s I think take a more in-depth video to explain and fully appreciate them. An in-depth video with Nathan Merz would be ideal. Love his videos he does for PCA and always fascinating to listen to with all the interesting details he covers.
I agree but I supplied Manny with all the facts and he apparently chose to disregard them. They also called it a port car instead of a parts car. IMO PCA should be focusing on getting the facts correct like Nathan does. Instead in each of their videos I can point out a few huge mistakes. In this case most of the info was incorrect. In his emails they said that it was the best shifting 964 they ever drove and set a new benchmark. Yet in the videos he called it notchy. So which is it?

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?