Sponsored by:

Real cup car or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 11:32 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree but I supplied Manny with all the facts and he apparently chose to disregard them. They also called it a port car instead of a parts car. IMO PCA should be focusing on getting the facts correct like Nathan does. Instead in each of their videos I can point out a few huge mistakes. In this case most of the info was incorrect. In his emails they said that it was the best shifting 964 they ever drove and set a new benchmark. Yet in the videos he called it notchy. So which is it?
Welcome to the club of frustration of people not understanding the USA Cup. When I bought one in 1992 nobody in the USA really knew what a Euro RS was let alone what a variant of one was for a "Carrera Cup" series they never heard of. People just didn't understand the whole concept. The story has too many moving pieces to easily explain it.

The RS America was the "performance car" to have in 1992 and since most people are into the appearance of the car confusion centered on the Cup not having a Whaletail spoiler like the RS America "if the car is so cool, where is the spoiler?". They were not into Euro RS details like alloy hoods, light flywheels, steel syncros not to mention a car with a complete lack of creature comforts. To most people the Cup was a boring, white C2 without the sunroof and radio they wanted. A lack of advertising on what the Cup was would have helped but in fact Porsche looked at the whole USA Cup episode as a failure and didn't want a competitor for the RS America in the market place, so if PCNA and Porsche AG hadn't been strapped for cash at the time the cars may not have been sold at all.

Throw in the confusion of which cars were shipped to California from Charleston and which not. What Andial did to the to make them race cars then back to as they were imported. Then some cars converted to race, converted back to as imported by Andial then converted back to race spec by various shops including Andial.

Being tired of all of this I wrote an article about the cars for Porsche Panorama in 1993 and found sadly that most seemed to have their eyes glaze over reading the article since the kind of detail in the article was not of interest..."but where is the whaletail??".

The whole deal would not have gone down the way it did then now. The internet would have been ablaze with details of the cars. Collectors would be bidding against one another to buy one.

Last edited by Cupcar; 10-07-2022 at 11:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cupcar:
kecho (11-05-2022), PAOLOP (10-13-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

One other thing.

Manny did get it wrong is that the Cup is not a daily driver.

I found it a fabulous daily driver that I drove for 5 years even to the grocery store.

Times change.
The following users liked this post:
kecho (11-05-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 05:12 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Welcome to the club of frustration of people not understanding the USA Cup. When I bought one in 1992 nobody in the USA really knew what a Euro RS was let alone what a variant of one was for a "Carrera Cup" series they never heard of. People just didn't understand the whole concept. The story has too many moving pieces to easily explain it.

The RS America was the "performance car" to have in 1992 and since most people are into the appearance of the car confusion centered on the Cup not having a Whaletail spoiler like the RS America "if the car is so cool, where is the spoiler?". They were not into Euro RS details like alloy hoods, light flywheels, steel syncros not to mention a car with a complete lack of creature comforts. To most people the Cup was a boring, white C2 without the sunroof and radio they wanted. A lack of advertising on what the Cup was would have helped but in fact Porsche looked at the whole USA Cup episode as a failure and didn't want a competitor for the RS America in the market place, so if PCNA and Porsche AG hadn't been strapped for cash at the time the cars may not have been sold at all.

Throw in the confusion of which cars were shipped to California from Charleston and which not. What Andial did to the to make them race cars then back to as they were imported. Then some cars converted to race, converted back to as imported by Andial then converted back to race spec by various shops including Andial.

Being tired of all of this I wrote an article about the cars for Porsche Panorama in 1993 and found sadly that most seemed to have their eyes glaze over reading the article since the kind of detail in the article was not of interest..."but where is the whaletail??".

The whole deal would not have gone down the way it did then now. The internet would have been ablaze with details of the cars. Collectors would be bidding against one another to buy one.
I actually think these narrow body 964’s look better without the whaletail (prefer whaletail on the widebody cars). Love the pure simplistic nature of these cars aesthetically and driving wise.

TBH 5 or so years ago I didn’t know a ton about these cars. I knew some very basic things about them, but not any specific details. Knew they were built for a one make race series, series was canceled, cars sold off to the public, and that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge. There wasn’t a ton of info and coverage of these cars back in the day or in years after so difficult to find out more. Thanks to the guys on the registry and on here I was able to find out more and appreciate the intricacies that make these cars special. But I do think it takes a longer more in-depth explanation to understand and fully appreciate these cars.

I couldn’t imagine if a car like this with the same conception came out nowadays. The demand and hype would be completely insane! Would be like a frenzy we saw with the 991 911 R.

BTW do you happen to know in which issue/month of 1993 Panorama you wrote the article?

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-07-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
BTW do you happen to know in which issue/month of 1993 Panorama you wrote the article?
The article is available here "Lightweight Carrera Confusion" by Bob Gagnon https://www.carreracupusa.com/magazine-articles

Originally printed in the May 1993 "Porsche Panorama" pages 28 to 40.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cupcar:
Ken D (10-08-2022), PAOLOP (10-13-2022), RapidGT (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:33 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 243 Posts
Default C C usa

The article is available here "Lightweight Carrera Confusion" by Bob Gagnon https://www.carreracupusa.com/magazine-articles

Originally printed in the May 1993 "Porsche Panorama" pages 28 to 40.
Thanks for the above, good read
Old 10-08-2022, 08:18 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

I noticed from looking at a lot of cars that a good amount of them have a strut tower brace and some don’t. Were these fitted by the factory, Andial, or after the fact?

With:

Without:

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-08-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:32 AM
kecho
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

My car did NOT come with a strut brace, so it's safe to assume they left the factory without one. I asked the original owner of my car if it ever had one, and he said NO. There were several aftermarket versions, and only one factory brace. The factory brace actually says "PORSCHE" on it.

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I noticed from looking at a lot of cars that a good amount of them have a strut tower brace and some don’t. Were these fitted by the factory, Andial, or after the fact?

With:

Without:

Last edited by kecho; 10-08-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:35 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by kecho
My car did NOT come with a strut brace, so it's safe to assume they left the factory without one. I ask the original owner of my car if it ever had one, and he said NO. There were several aftermarket versions, and only one factory brace. The factory brace actually say "PORSCHE" on it.
FWIW the Euro cups all came with the strut brace.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:15 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

My car did NOT come with a strut brace, so it's safe to assume they left the factory without one. I ask the original owner of my car if it ever had one, and he said NO. There were several aftermarket versions, and only one factory brace. The factory brace actually say "PORSCHE" on it.
The USA Cup and Euro RS didn't have the strut brace as delivered. The strut brace is made by Heigo and was a dealer installed accessory part number 964.343.529.70 specified for RS and Turbo and is still available at the dealer as I type this. All the Cup race cars were to have one and all Euro Cups have one.

Or you can buy from Heigo direct in Germany. There are two versions from Heigo, one for either the large and small fuel tank or the small fuel tank only. The small tank version was the one fitted to RS & Cups with part number shown above made with a bent steel bracket and the large tank version I believe -I'm not sure- has cast aluminum brackets with "Porsche" cast in.

https://www.heigo.de/shop//index.php...l=964%2F993%23

Note here that all the left over race conversion parts were sold through Andial and Vasek Polak Porsche after the series cancellation. So they all were widely distributed and some went back to Cups and some to other purposes. I bought several items for my Cup like the strut brace, harder rubber steering couplers, harder rubber stabilizer mounts, the wiring harness to activate the kill switch, etc. This creates confusion as to what equipment the cars were really imported with.

Last edited by Cupcar; 10-08-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:51 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Great strut discussion here https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-2-types.html
Old 10-08-2022, 06:00 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

My car did NOT come with a strut brace, so it's safe to assume they left the factory without one. I asked the original owner of my car if it ever had one, and he said NO. There were several aftermarket versions, and only one factory brace. The factory brace actually says "PORSCHE" on it.
The USA Cup and Euro RS didn't have the strut brace as delivered. The strut brace is made by Heigo and was a dealer installed accessory part number 964.343.529.70 specified for RS and Turbo and is still available at the dealer as I type this. All the Cup race cars were to have one and all Euro Cups have one.

Or you can buy from Heigo direct in Germany. There are two versions from Heigo, one for either the large and small fuel tank or the small fuel tank only. The small tank version was the one fitted to RS & Cups with part number shown above made with a bent steel bracket and the large tank version I believe -I'm not sure- has cast aluminum brackets with "Porsche" cast in.

https://www.heigo.de/shop//index.php...l=964%2F993%23

Note here that all the left over race conversion parts were sold through Andial and Vasek Polak Porsche after the series cancellation. So they all were widely distributed and some went back to Cups and some to other purposes. I bought several items for my Cup like the strut brace, harder rubber steering couplers, harder rubber stabilizer mounts, the wiring harness to activate the kill switch, etc. This creates confusion as to what equipment the cars were really imported with.
The car pictured above with the strut brace is mine and there are no markings on the brace at all. From what I can see it is definitely a Heigo manufactured part, but not sure if it is the same part number as listed above (964.343.529.70). Either way, very unlikely I would remove it as there are benefits of having it fitted. Plus it’s reversible if I ever felt the need to remove it so not bent out of shape about it.

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-08-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:45 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Anyone else going to the Boardwalk Reunion, OC NJ this Saturday (10/15/22)? Weather is perfect high 60s and sunny. They're expecting 350-400 all Porches on the boardwalk.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Anyone else going to the Boardwalk Reunion, OC NJ this Saturday (10/15/22)? Weather is perfect high 60s and sunny. They're expecting 350-400 all Porches on the boardwalk.
I'm driving my 928 GTS down for the event. Should be nice weather and a great turnout. Hope you're staying for the reception Saturday night? Be nice to see you again, it has been too long.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:29 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default Boardwalk

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'm driving my 928 GTS down for the event. Should be nice weather and a great turnout. Hope you're staying for the reception Saturday night? Be nice to see you again, it has been too long.
I'll be there A
Old 10-19-2022, 07:20 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Man. I go away for a while and the discussion just takes off!

I know its already been said, but explaining these cars is exhausting. I about snapped over Luft weekend. I drove a driver quality maritime RS around and it got wayyy more attention that the Carrera Cup. Which was kind of frustrating. Its a ex-nurburgring track car, and has the rash to prove it. The cup is a nicer car with better history, but everyone knows what a RS is and gravitates to it. So to that end, the cup is more fun. The people that know what it is are going to be entertaining people to talk to.

Quick Reply: Real cup car or fake?