Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake madness. Teardown begins....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:21 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

If you look at the control solenoid you'll see a black plug it just a cap to keep dirt out but it lets vacuum release so the flap can close. I know on my car this operates at 5500 RPM's on the gt3 intake I have now vacuum pulls the flap closed it's spring loaded to open it. I guess they do this so when the engine is low on vacuum the flap stays open.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:34 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
That's an interesting point. I hadn't considered that. The valve is not actuated by vacuum however, it opens when the Wide open throttle micro switch is pressed.

The this would raise testing questions...anyone want to venture a guess how to test?
The resonance valve is actuated by vacuum... How you have it setup, with the plug on, the first time the resonance valve is trigged it will be stuck open since the vac can’t be released. If you want to test, apply vac to the line and trigger the vacuum valve.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:47 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

that plug is a filter. If you look at it you'll see it's open on the sides
Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Ok so out goes the plug and the original - which does not come with the replacement unit, I'll just pop onto the new one...and good to go.

As to how the resonance flap is actuated- yes it's correct that it's actuated by vacuum. However- it's only actuated by vacuum once the wot switch is pressed- which then this little unit switches open- and the vacuum that is used is then coming from the vacuum canister. So in effect, the resonance flap is electronically controlled in that sense.

I'd still like to figure a way to see the rear port in use- so maybe I'll attach a balloon to it after i get everything back together and see what it's doing.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:26 PM
RSroadster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pierburg Vacuum Valve Cap……here is an image of the cap, with the the openings on the back.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Found this:

Name:  photo739.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  photo142.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  270.2 KB

So here is the setup in the car...

Name:  photo162.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  719.6 KB

Which means that - in our case - with power off, the vacuum is being supplied to the vacuum canister from the intake, and with power on, the vacuum is then traveling through from the intake and the vac canister to the resonance flap.

Then we would have to assume that on power off, the vent on the right hand side of the solenoid in the photo allows the pressure to dissipate and the resonance flap closes by its return spring.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Found this:

Attachment 1311791

Which means that - in our case - with power off, the vacuum is being supplied to the vacuum canister from the intake, and with power on, the vacuum is then traveling through from the intake and the vac canister to the resonance flap.

Then we would have to assume that on power off, the vent on the right hand side of the solenoid in the photo allows the pressure to dissipate and the resonance flap closes by its return spring.
Nice! Your intake is looking too good to be caught up on a small technical speed bump and possibly a loss of low end power.

Fyi.. I remember someone on this thread asking about the seals/bearings for the resonance shaft on the plastic intake. It uses brass bushings and 8x12x3 oil seals.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Goughary
Race Car

That's interesting- i was going to pull the one apart that i just took off the car and check that out. Do you happen to know a source for those seals and bushings?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:32 AM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

That's interesting- i was going to pull the one apart that i just took off the car and check that out. Do you happen to know a source for those seals and bushings?
The bushing/bearing is brass flanged sleeve, it would be hard to replace and I don’t think it was meant to (see pic). I’m planning to just add some dry Teflon lubricant. The seal I just grabbed a set of rubber VG oil seals off amazon.

Oil Seal 8X12X3 (2 PCS) Oil Seal Grease Seal VG |EAI Rubber Covered Outer Diameter with Sealing Lip 8mmX12mmX3mm | 0.315"x0.472"x0.118"
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (08-10-2022)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:16 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

As to how the resonance flap is actuated- yes it's correct that it's actuated by vacuum. However- it's only actuated by vacuum once the wot switch is pressed- which then this little unit switches open- and the vacuum that is used is then coming from the vacuum canister. So in effect, the resonance flap is electronically controlled in that sense.
I'm lost here? So you are saying that on an early aluminum intake stack, there is a physical connection between the WOT switch and the vacuum line attached to the resonance flap actuator?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

No Jason...the clicking of the Wot switch sends the electrical signal to the vacuum solenoid that opens the vacuum to the resonance flap...

Sorry if that got confusing. Some of this and the reasons behind it, I'm learning as i go along. It's a strange mixture of vacuum used for performance reasons and also for environmental reasons. So it's good to finally put some documentation down and get the systems sorted. They seem so complicated until as we see now, they really aren't all that complicated in the end.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

it's good to finally put some documentation down and get the systems sorted.
The Service Information Techniks have a pretty decent explanation for how everything works.

the clicking of the Wot switch sends the electrical signal to the vacuum solenoid that opens the vacuum to the resonance flap...
In this case, or at least for the plastic intake, the resonance flap is controlled electronically by the ECU and operates completely independent of the WOT switch.

The description is accurate enough that you can map what's written in the documentation to the actual ECU source code;

PHP Code:
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
REV-LIMITER

@@20:

mov A#0xA

movc A, @A+DPTR
    mov R2
61CB 0x03
    mov A

movc A, @A+DPTR 61CA 0xA3 6520
    add A
R2
    cjne A
RAM_RPM_VALUE, @@21 Turn Fuel off at 6640

@@21:

jc @@TurnFuelOff

mov A

movc A, @A+DPTR 61C9 0x87 5400
    cjne A
RAM_RPM_VALUE, @@22 Close Resonance flap at 5400RPM

@@22:

jnc @@25

add A
R2 61CB 0x03
    cjne A
RAM_RPM_VALUE, @@23 Open Resonance Flap at 5520rpm

@@23:

jnc @@27

mov A

movc A, @A+DPTR 0xA3 -- Turn Injectors On
    cjne A
RAM_RPM_VALUE, @@24

@@24:

cpl C
    jnc 
@@27

@@25:

cpl C

@@TurnFuelOff:

mov SOLENOID_RESONANCETRUE if RPM 6640

@@27:

mov P2#0x7E ; '~'

mov R0#0x5A ; 'Z' ; 7E5A

movx A, @R0
    jnb ACC.6
, @@28

setb SOLENOID_RESONANCE

@@28:

jnb STATUS_STARTING, @@30

@@29:

clr SOLENOID_RESONANCE

@@30:

ret 
Old 02-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The description is accurate enough that you can map what's written in the documentation to the actual ECU source code

Love me some assembly language, but how do you have this and is this accessible somewhere? It so odd to see source code with developer comments for a bosch EFI.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

So now we need to review what actually happens when the wot switch is pressed. I think we always had the understanding here that it controlled the resonance flap.

I have that service technik somewhere. I'll have to look that up.

Fwiw/ the throttle body in that pic in the service technik you posted is the very early version that has the dual resonance flaps. One on each side. That seems to have been dropped shortly after production began. Perhaps there wasn't enough vacuum to open the flaps on a consistent basis? With two springs the system was a little heavy. I have one of those old units here.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Goughary
Race Car

So- here is the full diagram of the system from that tech manual up above. I knew i had a copy of that somewhere. Found it buried in old notebooks...

Name:  photo430.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  841.5 KB

And there is another page further back that describes the adjustment of the throttle off switch and the wot switch...

Name:  photo16.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  934.8 KB

Quick Reply: Intake madness. Teardown begins....